You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REINA HITS THE £23M LIVERPOOL JACKPOT

By Chris Bascombe, 23/01/2010

PEPE REINA is close to signing a new five-year deal at Anfield.

Liverpool opened talks with the keeper earlier this month and have put a £23million package on the table.

The deal would put Reina on around £90,000 a week. The club expect an agreement to be reached shortly with the player having already committed his future to the Merseysiders.

Reina's current deal runs until 2012, so his new terms will represent a three-year extension.

His salary hike will reflect his rise to what his manager and team-mates describe as 'world number one' status.

Reina had been coveted by both Barcelona and Atletico Madrid in recent years, but despite some homesickness issues earlier in his Anfield career he's now well settled on Merseyside.

A club spokesman told Sport of the World: "Pepe's deal will reflect his position as an outstanding Liverpool player. A five-year contract will reflect how highly he is thought of by everyone at the club. We know he wants to stay and we want to keep him, so now talks have begun on schedule we don't expect any problems."

Although the American owners continue to court criticism for their running of the club, there can be no questioning their financial commitment to retaining the current squad.

Reina will join Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger and Yossi Benayoun in signing lucrative deals over the last six months.

Liverpool point out the combined cost of those deals is well in excess of £100m over the course of their contracts. That's aside from the manager's own contract worth £25m.

REINA HITS THE £23M LIVERPOOL JACKPOT | News Of The World

Wow...

Love Pepe loads. Rafa's best signing I think.

Only just noticed the tag as well. Made me laugh.

Why is Bascombe giving the owners credit for signing up one of our best players. This should of been done months ago and has been delayed until we offloaded other players because the yanks refuse to spend a cent of their own money. If anything he should be having a right go at the tight arse pricks.

Can't believe I actually read that.

Talks now opened, the club have offered a 5 year deal. From all accounts Pepe will be signing. Big contract, and totally deserved in my eyes.

Is he beeing paid the going rates for spanish clowns, or just ordinary regular clowns??

;)

spanish-clown.jpg

Good news!

Great news this, Pepe is a top bloke and the best keeper in the league. Trying to work out bascombes articles each weeks is becoming a challenge, we had the "bar a few misguided comments the owners have done no wrong" and the "cut them a bit of slack" article a few months back when you wanted to kill him, then in fairness to Chris he was the only hack to print as the headline on the backpage Blow me Fuck face and deserves alot of credit for that. Then todays he's praising them again for Pepes contract, no doubt that will be coming out of Babel/dossena sales money not theres so come off it Chris with the praise.

What was Reinas salary up to this? They are painting it up, but if it is a £30k a week payrise, then it is the equivelant of just bringing in a mid range footballer on a free.

This is exactly the way I see it Johnny H , and seeing that we have cleared Dossena & Voronin off the pay schedule this month ( adding only Maxi ) , I can't see this is a major problem & it would seem that the owners are actually in credit when the fees are taken into account.

The only bit in the article I take issue with is the 'Jackpot' headline , as I see it as a player who has excelled getting a well-deserved pay rise.

Sorry, I'm just seeing the tag now and I pissed myself.

Also, Pepe, for me can now be put in the bracket as the best goalkeeper in the world with one or two others but I'm willing to bet that even with the payrise that there are probably quite a few keepers out there still on more money then him. This is very easily money well spent, and with Pepe known to have been hime sick and contemplating leaving then well done to the important people at the club that still care for the team for keeping him here.

The payrise will be more then covered by Voronins salary so any newspaper can fuck off with the idea that the owners are digging deep.

does anyone actually believe what atk says ?

but im crossing my fingers for your latest news.

Nobody does he is just full of shit.

Who has followed the reds all his life and has good contacts. Oh and he used to think Pepe was shit.

So on that note maybe we should not listen to a word he says.

I fucking love Pepe. It can't be overstated how brilliant he is and how important he is to this team. He's a fucking captain on and off the pitch, armband or no. He does absolute wonders for team spirit by running the length of the pitch to celebrate when we score REALLY important goals like Ngog against Mancs and Torres last season against the Chavs. He is one of the top three keepers in the world and I really don't care whether Sky say so, or whether the fucking idiot blerts, who allow Sky to dictate to them what think, think (and that includes some of my closest friends). Fuck them all. We have our Pepe and we know we wouldn't swap him for anyone in the world. He knows we wouldn't swap him for anyone in the world. At £6 million he has got to be Rafa's greatest signing (possibly along with Torres and Alonso). What a legend. In years to come, if I have kids of my own, I'll tell them stories and show them videos of the Liverpool Legend that was Pepe Reina.

Here it is mate..

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ScT3xjzQs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ScT3xjzQs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]

That is a fucking top clip. Nearly produced a tear in my hungover eye. Fucking brilliant fans. I hate it when Sky interview cockney twats who want the manager gone. Gives us OOTs a bad fucking name that does. I'm Scottish and the last thing I want is Rafa gone. I don't care what anyone says. This is one season. Teams have bad seasons. If it happens again next year then perhaps we think about a new manager. But I'll support Rafa as long as he is here.

Anyway, back on point, PEPE YA FUCKIN LEGEND!

• 1 month later...

Can't beat Pepe.

Pity the midfield stopped defending at all in the last 10 minutes or he'd be ahead of every other keeper in the race for Golden Gloves.

Hima nd Carra both looked really pissed off at the midfield for that goal. Cara was screaming like fuck at somone.

Can't beat Pepe.

Pity the midfield stopped defending at all in the last 10 minutes or he'd be ahead of every other keeper in the race for Golden Gloves.

Hima nd Carra both looked really pissed off at the midfield for that goal. Cara was screaming like fuck at somone.

Youtube clip please?

Would love to see that.