You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When we Finally Finish 5th

Red Nick

What will happen to this football club without a change of Owners.

The reality as Catch 22 points out is that we have the 5th best wages/Transfers and wages in the division. However whilst we have Torres & Gerrard we will probably finish in the top 4 this season. However the economic reality is that next season it will be much harder to maintain that position as Man City & Arsenal will address there own situations and in Arsenal's case they will have more money to spend than us.

Also if Arsenal or Man City finish 5th I dont think it would impact on them as negatively as us finishing 5th

So please leave Rafa out of this debate and just address the question what would happen to LFC when we finish 5th under these owners?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't going to win the Champions League

Im not suggesting we are , im asking IF we did and we finished 5th uefa said that 5th place would take 4th places position in the CL would we also get the money for 4th place of just the place is all im asking.

Im not suggesting we are , im asking IF we did and we finished 5th uefa said that 5th place would take 4th places position in the CL would we also get the money for 4th place of just the place is all im asking.

Winning the CL would be the same as finishing 4th for the purposes of this debate.

Obviously I was asking the question what happens to this club without CL football

Does it involve you getting really, really drunk on your own and posting an incoherent stream of gibberish at 2am?

I never get drunk on my own

Which reminds me of the one tit wonder we met last night, after getting shagged in the toliet she came out to the bar and forgot about her tit that was hanging out.

I think under the current ownership it could be a huge blow but It depends on what happens that season in other competitions.

If we just finished 5th with no other trophys then I agree its a very slippy slope. I dont belive it will be anywere near the same prediciment of a Leeds but it would take huge investment and possibly loss of big players to regain our natural position.

IMO tho without making this another ownership thread I cant see them being here and the end of next season, this season yes but not next.

We must be ok just for 1 season outside the top 4. Even then, we won't be able to spend much (if anything) so getting back into the top 4 will take a monumental effort.

With players like Mascherano wanting out, and with Gerrard and Carragher not getting any younger, if we go out of the top 4, we will need huge slice of luck (not just with us but also with others getting shit) to get back into the top 4 the season after.

maybe it'll be a good thing in the long term?

may help RBS to tell them to leeches fuck off?

some of the deadwood players may get sold to balance the books?

pehaps our shit scouts will get saqcked to?

a certain person who'm we cant mention on this thread may lose his job?

maybe the squad will then only be big enough force our manager to prioritize the league?

What will happen to this football club without a change of Owners.

The reality as Catch 22 points out is that we have the 5th best wages/Transfers and wages in the division. However whilst we have Torres & Gerrard we will probably finish in the top 4 this season. However the economic reality is that next season it will be much harder to maintain that position as Man City & Arsenal will address there own situations and in Arsenal's case they will have more money to spend than us.

Also if Arsenal or Man City finish 5th I dont think it would impact on them as negatively as us finishing 5th

So please leave Rafa out of this debate and just address the question what would happen to LFC when we finish 5th under these owners?

That will largely depend on the "investment" that Purslow has said will be coming into the club in the next 6 months.

It's been said in the past by various club money-bods that the financial situiation on which the loans are based envisages missing CL qualification once in the 5 years after the takeover was completed. I would have thought that's likely to be true because it was failure to allow for that eventuality that started the major problems at Leeds. As much as we may distrust and dislike those running the club, anyone with an iota of prudence would have catered for that possibility and you woud think that the banks would insist on catering for that eventuality when approving the loans. I think it's probably true, but the problem is that so much has gone wrong in other ways - the credit crunch and the delay to the stadium - that realistically the two twats need to cobble tgeether every penny they can get to cover the interest payments.

Assuming it did not prompt a sale, the immediate effect would be a severe cap on the transfer budget next summer and probably January 2011. We woudl struggle to bring anyone decent in anyway as clubs outside the CL don't attract big names (Unless they pay them stupid wages). We would face a battle to keep hold of Nando. The papers woudl be all over him, linking him to Chelsea, City and od knows who else, althoug I think he woudl stay forat least one year.

It would potentially be the start of a downward spiral that, at best would have us competing with Villa and Everton over the next few years and at worst trying to avoid a plummet down the table. What would happen next woudl depend on whetehr the manager stayed, whether the owners stayed and whether we aere able to bring any promising kids through to make a (cheap) impact and carry us forward. Last time we were seriously mid-table and going nowhere (97/98) we were spurred on by some wonderful signings (Didi, Titi, Sami, Henchoz, Gary Mac), the emergence of two world class youngsters (Gerrard and Owen) and a couple of other good yound players coming through (Disco Danny and David Thompson). What are the chances of it all coming togetehr like that again?