You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things you are unequivocally rubbish at.

Ezekiel 25:17

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooking rice. Seriously, one of the worlds most cooked foods, made by the poorest people in the worst conditions and mine is always raw on top and burnt on bottom

I have just spent 40 min clearing a pan from burnt on rice.

You know what are great, though? Those packets of Basmati that you microwave. Perfect every single time.

Ha, the option i went for when burnt on rice was no longer edible.

I can whistle with my fingers, do DIY, well a fair bit. I can iron clothes and i can even wrap presents.

Seems i'm better then most of you lot.

Not trying to sound like a smart arse here, but I really can't fathom how you can fuck rice up. What's hard about boiling it for a specific period of time?

(As we seem to be blowing trumpets as well as highlighting failures, I think I should mention that I'm a great singer and dancer, as well as culinary wizard.)

Not trying to sound like a smart arse here, but I really can't fathom how you can fuck rice up. What's hard about boiling it for a specific period of time?

it still sticks to the pan, and i still forget to set the alarm, and i still get distracted by something - then as soon as i go back, the top bit looks ace, then you get half way down and its stuck solid. then further down and its black and needs chipping off with a chisel and mallet.

Cooking rice - never fails.

1) Rinse it under a hot tap, then a cold tap to get rid of excess starch

2) Put it in a pan and put enough cold water just to cover it.

3) Bring to the the boil without stirring, then add a little drop of oil and some salt. Give it a right good stir and put a lid on.

5) Put it on the lowest heat until the water is gone and the grains have separated. Take it off the heat for a few minutes and it will continue cooking but won't stick to the pan (as it will if you leave it on heat)

A Thai lady taught me to do it that way.

That shite in packets that you microwave is crap.

(As we seem to be blowing trumpets as well as highlighting failures, I think I should mention that I'm a great singer and dancer, as well as culinary wizard.)

Maybe I'll go pick some cotton for you aswell ay whist my rice is boiling, yeah you'd love that, oh shit my pick aint swinging, sorry boss.

3) Bring to the the boil without stirring, then add a little drop of oil and some salt. Give it a right good stir and put a lid on.

5) Put it on the lowest heat until the water is gone and the grains have separated. Take it off the heat for a few minutes and it will continue cooking but won't stick to the pan (as it will if you leave it on heat)

2 & ½ hours ago that would of come in useful.

Monty often remarks how he can shift some shapes on the dance floor, it's funny though because when I picture him all I see is this :

carlton.gif

I've tried various similar methods, twice the ml as grm of rice, enough water to cover it, leave to boil, bring to boil then turn off and cover, leave to simmer etc etc I think I'm just riceretarded

I'd like to add that the amount of water covering the rice should be the distance between the end of your finger and middle knuckle. Chinaman told me that.

Doesn't matter how much water you put in with the rice. Personally, I make a MASSIVE pot of boiling water, then I pour the rice in (half a large mug per person), slop in a good few slurps of olive oil, stir, and retreat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep trying a grain or two, and when it's done, drain it in a colander. Piece of piss, and it is impossible to burn it/leave it raw this way. Trust me, this works perfectly. (Even if it drives the missus mad that I use so much water to do it. She's one of those people who like to cook it till the water disappears - far too much trouble, if you ask me.)

This is turning into the 'how do you cook rice?' thread.

Jesus christ this thread is about things that you are shit at, this thread IS NOT a fucking please post here the best way to boil rice thread, the next person who mentions boiled fucking rice is getting negged. This may or may not be a slight over reaction.

Yeah, anyway, as I was saying, you can either wash the starch off the rice before you cook it or not. I tend not to bother, but my missus is very keen on it.