You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Darwin vs The Bible

Flying Pig

Just found out that Ken Hamm’s Creationist Science museum is just a short drive away from Cincinnati- always presumed it was in Texas or something rather than Northern Kentucky. Definitely going on my next trip there, I’m expecting to be fully converted

Buddies? Have you listened to the podcast where they argue for 2 hours about what the word ‘truth’ means?

Presumably you have? Isn’t there something more valuable you could be doing with you time, like repeatedly punching yourself in the nuts for two hours?

Presumably you have? Isn’t there something more valuable you could be doing with you time, like repeatedly punching yourself in the nuts for two hours?

Nope, it’s heavily caveated at the beginning, I think I lasted 10 mins of Peterson dodging and talking bullshit before giving up.

I’ve listened to him on a few podcasts and agree he’s a strange fella. Agree with him on some things but not on al lot of others. You know, like normal people do.

Multitasking, moof.

In fact I just listened to Rogan and Christopher Ryan on my run. Peterson dismissed a lot of Ryan’s work as bolloocks because it doesn’t conform to his strict religious viewpoint. Now, who do you trust, a bloke who drank, fucked and drugged his way round the world or a man with an invisible friend?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1707396716013847&id=130148817071986

You never find wholly new forms of life in a jar of peanut butter, therefore evolution is bollocks and God created everything.

QED

It was the "you may laugh at this " that sowed the seed of doubt that what the fella was saying might not be the whole truth. Anyway just off to open the new jar of peanut butter ( crunchy , my fav) to check for primitive life,  I think it may be possible Donald Trump was found in a jar of peanut butter so I'm hoping at least for a Boris Johnson.  Will report back later

• 1 month later...

Pseudo-intellectual garbage about God from one of Sam Harris’ buddy.

What are your issues with it, Ardj? I was on board until just after halfway through. Even after that I don't have a huge issue with it, although he's certainly pussyfooting.

@cdaargh

I especially love how Jordan Peterson calls everything he doesn't like "post-modernism" (&/or neo-Marxism), but when asked if he believes in God, deconstructs the words "God" and "believe" in a thoroughly post-modern manner to avoid answering.

@cdaargh

I especially love how Jordan Peterson calls everything he doesn't like "post-modernism" (&/or neo-Marxism), but when asked if he believes in God, deconstructs the words "God" and "believe" in a thoroughly post-modern manner to avoid answering.

Have you seen Peterson and Matt Dillahunty? It’s hilarious, especially the bit about whether having your head cut of is bad for you.

Harris and Peterson disagree on religion, but they are able to discuss stuff. How weird.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@cdaargh

I saw something this morning about Peterson making a bit of a tit of himself by misusing an analogy about ants. No biggy, really; if your job is saying stuff, occasionally you'll say daft stuff. But I was amused by one description (which may or may not be fair - I neither know nor care) of him as "the stupid man's smart person".

May I throw a cheeky one in here for the sake of god/no god bants and ask if anyone feels our existence shows any indication of intelligent design, or is the intelligent design millions of years of selective reproduction. Regardless, what do we do next?

Whoever coined the phrase "intelligent design" never had piles.

• 2 months later...

Some interesting observations of what looks like evolution by natural selection, in the wild, right before our eyes.

https://www.du.edu/news/crick-cats-du-professor-dives-evolution-discovery-purring-crickets

Crickets in Hawaii had evolved to stay silent, instead of chirruping, because their usual noise attracted a parasitic fly.  Silence gave them the advantage of escaping the flies, but it also made it harder to find a mate.  Now some have been found which have evolved a type of chirrup in a lower register; it is hypothesised that this is inaudible to the parasitic flies, but audible to female crickets.

Here's the New Scientist article on it, but you need a subscription to read it all.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24032023-500-crickets-rapidly-evolve-new-mating-call-to-evade-their-parasites/

And here's a bit of background info on the species of cricket, if you're an entomology nerd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleogryllus_oceanicus

• Upvote 1