You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roxanne Pallett

Total Longo

No offence mate, but if you ever find yourself in court, don't testify on your own behalf.

Haha one of those unfortunate instances were you read the comment preceding your own, after you've posted it and it makes you look like a monster. One for the "minor things that stress you out" thread that one.

I don’t really want to get too far into it here, not least because I don’t have the time, but there is an implicit threat of violence (mostly sexual) for a woman who, for example, walks somewhere alone at night. It’s that basic. It’s not a threat that exists in the mind of a regular man, but it’s very real for many, if not, most women. Then you have statements like Boss’ above, which can be open to interpretation; where you can make a fairly simple argument that those kinds of attitudes contribute to rape culture. She wanted it, she likes it rough, she was dressed provocatively, women are turned on by the threat of violence etc etc.

This is without even getting into the kind of systemic abuses that rape victims, for example, have to deal with. It’s said that 95% of rapes go unpunished. That’s just a headline figure, without going into the depths of collective psychological trauma that can stem from such a fact.

Look at the me too movement, the sheer scale of women who’ve experienced some kind of harassment or violence from partners, teachers, bosses, colleagues, strangers. I don’t think it’s right to say we’ve made no improvements with these issues because, at the very least, they’re being spoken about now. But to say there’s no normalisation of violence against women is, in my view, so badly mistaken.

These are just some of my hastily cobbled together thoughts, with some more time to sit and stew on it I might be able to formulate a more coherent, fleshed out argument and we can have a debate. Will have to see how the day develops.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don’t really want to get too far into it here, not least because I don’t have the time, but there is an implicit threat of violence (mostly sexual) for a woman who, for example, walks somewhere alone at night. It’s that basic. It’s not a threat that exists in the mind of a regular man, but it’s very real for many, if not, most women. Then you have statements like Boss’ above, which can be open to interpretation; where you can make a fairly simple argument that those kinds of attitudes contribute to rape culture. She wanted it, she likes it rough, she was dressed provocatively, women are turned on by the threat of violence etc etc.

This is without even getting into the kind of systemic abuses that rape victims, for example, have to deal with. It’s said that 95% of rapes go unpunished. That’s just a headline figure, without going into the depths of collective psychological trauma that can stem from such a fact.

Look at the me too movement, the sheer scale of women who’ve experienced some kind of harassment or violence from partners, teachers, bosses, colleagues, strangers. I don’t think it’s right to say we’ve made no improvements with these issues because, at the very least, they’re being spoken about now. But to say there’s no normalisation of violence against women is, in my view, so badly mistaken.

These are just some of my hastily cobbled together thoughts, with some more time to sit and stew on it I might be able to formulate a more coherent, fleshed out argument and we can have a debate. Will have to see how the day develops.

Compare today's society against any period of time, in say the last 500 years (let's keep it in the UK for arguments sake). Now tell me when violence against women was less accepted than it is today?

Moof, there’s a big difference between violence or sexual abuse and the normalisation of it. I’m not, of course, saying there’s no violence, I’m saying it’s not normalised. As a sociological concept, normalisation means for something to have become an accepted part of everyday life. The trend has gone the other way, it’s nit becoming more normal or acceptable as part of every day life, but way less accepted. A good example IS the metoo movement. The opprobrium towards men who force women to suffer violence is normal and widespread. It used to be something that was kept in the home and seen as socially acceptable. What I’m not saying is that it doesn’t happen. It does.

• Upvote 1

Summary of topics so far:

• Roxanne is a lying, manipulative cunt.
  • Pretending vs. Playfighting.
  • Woman are frail and weak. 
  • Ryan made contact and to what degree of harm did Ryan inflict (currently scored 1/10)
  • Perception of harm, Roxanne scoring 4/10. 
  • Importance of domestic abuse. 
  • Sexual violence towards women.
  • Norrmalisation of violence against women. 
  • Roxanne releasing a cover of Smack My Bitch Up.
  • Upvote 1

• Ryan made contact and to what degree of harm did Ryan inflict (currently scored 1/10)

You missed two...

720245_roxanne_pallet_jo_sugden_emmerdal

• Upvote 3

i was talking about two consenting adults by the way. I actually think it's very sexist to portray all women as victims that need to be protected - like they're tiny delicate flowers or something. It's highly patronising to women. Women can make up their own minds where their boundaries are. They don't need men to tell them what they like or don't like. Nor should all women be believed with this #MeToo stuff. As is the case with Asia Argento,  they can be sexual predators themselves. Let's not kid ourselves that the world is so black and white. 

• Upvote 3

i was talking about two consenting adults by the way. I actually think it's very sexist to portray all women as victims that need to be protected - like they're tiny delicate flowers or something. It's highly patronising to women. Women can make up their own minds where their boundaries are. They don't need men to tell them what they like or don't like. Nor should all women be believed with this #MeToo stuff. As is the case with Asia Argento, they can be sexual predators themselves. Let's not kid ourselves that the world is so black and white.

I don’t think it’s sexist to say women in general are physically weaker than men.

Needs someone to knock a horse out then we can make the film.