You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

If Xabi does leave then it might be an opportunity to try a bit more of an attacking system. If we cannot find an equivalent replacement, add an attacker. There are not too many games where we need two midfielders to sit in front of the back four.

4-1-3-2

This might help solidify the attacking impetus shown at the end of last season.

What a post - have you seen Xabi play for Spain? The reason we play and Xabi plays as he does for us is under instruction not because he is limited in attack.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ian garro

I feel really let down by all this - and Xabi in particular - if I'm honest. I understand all the arguments about why he feels let down/doesnt feel wanted etc, but the whole thing just leaves a bad taste. I thought Xabi would have a bit more dignity about him to be honest.

I mean, he's been here 5 years, when he came we were absolute shite, and now, when we probably have as good a chance in years of winning the league, he wants to get off to Madrid. The least he owes us is another year, have one last real go at it. He knows how much the Title means to this club, and to the support, but no. His head's been turned by Madrid, and it all fits in quite nicely for him: Rafa trying to get shut of him last season (which he was well within his rights to do, in my opinion), the crowd reaction at the Lazio game last summer, new tax laws etc etc. I think Xabi thought he could probably engineer the whole thing and come out smelling of roses.

I'd have a bit more respect for him if he just came out now, handed in a request and the whole thing was sorted, rather than all this "he wont hand a transfer request in, out of respect for the fans" bullshit. How sad. Sell him, on our terms, and lets move on.

I'm very straight forward when it comes to matters like this. If a player wants to leave i've no interest in him, in fact i'd carry his bags to the airport myself.

If we can't get a decent replacement in though, you might be better of swallowing your pride.

Finally an article who touches the truth, people on here are not very good to

image3971.jpg

Oh I think you'd be surprised. Some very revealing things in your answers the other day. At least now I know you can't be taken seriously.

If we can't get a decent replacement in though, you might be better of swallowing your pride.

If I was raffa ( I know, I'm not) I'd sound out the availability of Benoît Cheyrou. When we have played Marseille he has ran the midfield and caused us no end of problems with his passing. In his prime too-28 and should be got for couple of bags of sand and a years supply of frogs legs.

The agenda here is not Alonso. Sadly for him, he is merely a pawn in a game of football power and politics.

Real Madrid, were the first 'mega club' with the ability to attract the very best players and were the first club to have repeat victories in the European Cup, with all the resultant publicity! As a result they became the biggest name in club football.

In the last 15 years, their reputation and dominance has been challenged, most recently by the wealth of the Premiere League. They have also suffered notable humiliating defeats by rivals, Barcelona and of course LFC. They need to restore their pride and what better way than by improving your team and at the same time demonstrating your your power by unsettling and signing players from your rivals.

Rafa, must stand strong and resist their arrogance. Better, that we keep Alonso and poke Madrid in the eye or at the very least make them pay 'through the nose' if they wish to 'steal' Alonso.

We owe them at least one, after the humiliation of Macmannaman, Owen and the added insult of Nunez!

If I was raffa ( I know, I'm not) I'd sound out the availability of Benoît Cheyrou. When we have played Marseille he has ran the midfield and caused us no end of problems with his passing. In his prime too-28 and should be got for couple of bags of sand and a years supply of frogs legs.

A Cheyrou?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Alternatively, Journalists trying to create a furore to sell papers make up stories that don't fit the facts and naive people or those with acute confirmation bias fall for it.

Or, you could be right and but you is stupid.

Well the article fits right in with the impression I have got when I have considered the actions from both Rafa and Alonso during the recent season.

Its nothing new to me at all, whats new on the other hand is the spin Rafa is trying to put on things.

Its easy to know what to believe, unless you you are complete snappahead.

Rafa:

1. Pissed off because of the Inter game and the birth of Alonso`s son.

2. Pissed off because Alonso took pako`s side.

3. Tried to sell Alonso for nothing other than an personal agenda.

4. Desperatly tried to get rid off him for a cut down price.

5. Not once during the season has he praised Alonso while praising everything form the tea lady to Kuyts undrwear and Lucas choice of soap in the showr.

6. Again tried to get rid off Alonso, briefed clubs about him being availible.

7. naming a price for Alonso, Mascherano on the other not for sale.

8. being pissed off because the inferior barry once again slipped through his fingers.

9. Demanding loyalty from Alonso in the same press conference he talks about the money grabbing Barry, what about his loyalty last season.

Alonso:

1. Have answered a direct question about the tax situation.

No matter how you spin it Code you really have something against Rafa in this dont ya. Alonso can do no worng in your eyes.

Try and bew objective for a change. I dont care whats happened in the past and it realy doesnt matter.

Alonso wants to go. He is not being forced out and Rafa wants to keep him.

Well the article fits right in with the impression I have got when I have considered the actions from both Rafa and Alonso during the recent season.

Its nothing new to me at all, whats new on the other hand is the spin Rafa is trying to put on things.

Rafa:

5. Not once during the season has he praised Alonso while praising everything form the tea lady to Kuyts undrwear and Lucas choice of soap in the showr.

8. being pissed off because the inferior barry once again slipped through his fingers.

9. Demanding loyalty from Alonso in the same press conference he talks about the money grabbing Barry, what about his loyalty last season.

Alonso:

You are Pastor Phelps!

Rafa:

Alonso:

Your list of Rafa's actions towards Xabi is laughable. For someone so obsessed with facts, it is really fucking pathetic to dress up your own opinion, hearsay and rumours as facts.

You make me want to see Xabi sold with all the shit you're peddling and I love Xabi.

Alonso wants to go. He is not being forced out and Rafa wants to keep him.

I don't think it is that black and white to be honest.

I genuinely believe Rafa tried to sell him last summer so he can get Barry. I think Alonso kept an open mind last year because he wasn't sure if Madrid or Barcelona would come in for him.

And I also think Rafa was/is willing to sell him this year. I obviously don't have any evidence to prove this but Rafa's comment about "every player has a price" when he talked about Alonso but "he has no price" for Mascherano and Torres suggests that he was indeed willing to sell Alonso if someone pays the right price.

May be Rafa changed his mind about selling Alonso once Barry went to City?

May be this attitude pissed Alonso off. Or may be Xabi wants to leave now that Madrid have come in for him. Or may be he is a money grabbing bastard. Or may be Rafa really hates him because he shagged Montse. Who knows?

Rafa:

1) Speculation

2) Speculation

3) Speculation and heavily spun wording!

4) Speculation and heavily spun wording!

5)

Football365.com - RAFA RUBBISHES ALONSO RUMOURS - All The News - Football365 News

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - Liverpool FC - News - Bolton 0 Liverpool 2: Xabi Alonso gave a midfield master-class - Rafa Benitez

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/05/16/xabi-alonso-staying-at-liverpool-says-rafa-benitez-100252-23636423/

Liverpool not selling Alonso to Real, insists Benitez | Metro.co.uk

6) Speculation

7) Speculation

8 and 9) These are essentially the same point.

You'd make a good tabloid journalist with the way you've written some of those points based on speculation and then used as negative a language as possible. I could imagine those written on the back of the Mirror or something.

I don't think it is that black and white to be honest.

I genuinely believe Rafa tried to sell him last summer so he can get Barry. I think Alonso kept an open mind last year because he wasn't sure if Madrid or Barcelona would come in for him.

And I also think Rafa was/is willing to sell him this year. I obviously don't have any evidence to prove this but Rafa's comment about "every player has a price" when he talked about Alonso but "he has no price" for Mascherano and Torres suggests that he was indeed willing to sell Alonso if someone pays the right price.

May be Rafa changed his mind about selling Alonso once Barry went to City?

May be this attitude pissed Alonso off. Or may be Xabi wants to leave now that Madrid have come in for him. Or may be he is a money grabbing bastard. Or may be Rafa really hates him because he shagged Montse. Who knows?

Spot on. But to be honest I don't have a problem with Rafa changing his mind and I don't have problem with Xabi leaving!

If Rafa thought get Barry in for 8 million, and If (he might have been aware of it, considering everyone on this board seems to have known) Xabi goes to Madrid for 30 million I will get Silva in. Barry goes to City, fucks the plans up Rafa thinks well, he is not going now, but Xabi still wants to go. So the price is 35 million.

Is there anything wrong with that? Both are looking after themselves, and I for one don't begrudge either of them.

That article is an embarrassment to Xabi. If he is behaving like a crying little girl, then I'm starting to lose respect for him by the day. I want him gone today so he can walk away with at least some of his reputation in tact.

Some of the shit on here by some people trying to defend Xabi in all of this have made him look worse than evil Rafa. Xabi is starting to sound like a spoilt brat like Gerrard in 2005, luckily Gerrard has totally changed from that character, I would like to see Xabi do the same here at Liverpool Football Club, but I aint losing any sleep over it if he doesn't.

I wish him well in whatever decision he makes, however he has left a sour taste with his performance over the last few weeks. All he had to do was say what needed to be said at the beginning of all this.

I also think agents should be shot.

I agree with you, and especially the last part.

This whole saga might have started with Rafa touting him around creating friction between the two, but when that was the case it was clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and City who were cited as possible targets. I think Rafa was the bad wolf up until Real came along, but after that it's Alonso who has acted wrongly (from a Liverpoolfan's point of view). The fact that Alonso wanted to leave because of Rafa's behavour was legit for a while, but he has had more than enough opportunities to rectify that situation a long time now. But he won't as his head is turned by Real and his agent. He is no longer looking for solutions to solve the challenges where he is, he's looking for solutions to how to join Real.

Benitez is the master politician, everyone will think Xabi is the bad guy here.

He is. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Xabi is the all innocent football lover who just happens to make a lot of money.

A basque willing to play for Real Madrid has to be at least a little cynical if not down right greedy.

Xabi Alonso tells Rafael Benítez he wants to leave Anfield | Football | The Guardian

Sid Lowe saying Xabi wants out.

Well thats it then Xabi, for whatever reason if you dont want to play for us then kindly fuck off asap and stop pissing about.

We have set a price, ask for a transfer, forfeit your bonus and go.

The grass isnt always greener.