You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But your saying an Average player can do that?

A Croatia team who beat England (which includes Gerrard, Lampard, Terry...are they average too?)

Im not saying hes the worlds best, nowhere near, but hes fucking better than Average.

He'd be a great acquisition, otherwise why are the top European clubs interested in him?

Yes an average player can captain his domestic side and his country. Robbie Keane for example. I'm aware Ireland aren't quite on Croatias level but Shaktar aren't exactly on Spurs level either. Beating England isn't a huge scalp. They were shite for that qualifying campaign.

Actually, in this case, it does.

I suggest you show some respect to a small team that won a UEFA Cup and a small nation that punches above its weight...

It isn't about respect. Its about if this player is good enough to play for Liverpool and on the arguement of "He captained his country and his club side", he isn't.

Disrespectful twat. Croatia went are a small country that routinely punch above their weight.

Shakhtar are one of the most talented clubs in outside the 'big leagues', but are a 'small' club by any standards.

Their previous captain was Anatoly Tymoschuk. Who captained another small eastern european club to the UEFA Cup.

So I'm a disrespectful twat for thinking that captaining a country which has never achieved anything internationally and a club which constantly fails to make it out of the Champions League group stage doesn't qualify somebody to play for our football club?

I can't argue most of what you said because I don't understand it.

So I'm a disrespectful twat for thinking that captaining a country which has never achieved anything internationally and a club which constantly fails to make it out of the Champions League group stage doesn't qualify somebody to play for our football club?

Croatia have achieved more than England in the 18 years they have been an independent state, they finished third in the 98 World Cup for starters.

It isn't about respect. Its about if this player is good enough to play for Liverpool and on the arguement of "He captained his country and his club side", he isn't.

I decided to leave the other reply as well because its absolutely bollocks. It's not because 'he captained his country and his club side', which is true, it is because he's the one of the top right backs in the world. He's also extremely versatile, and can operate from midfield, or from THE LEFT, as he's delightfully two footed!

Shakhtar has managed some impressive performances in the champions league but have been unfortunately drawn into hard groups fairly often. They've done extremely well in the UEFA cup the last few seasons, including their title.

He's fantastic from free kicks, and spot kicks, as well.

I brought up Tymoschuk because it shows the pedigree of captains for Shakhtar, considering they've won the last two UEFA cups.

Yes an average player can captain his domestic side and his country. Robbie Keane for example. I'm aware Ireland aren't quite on Croatias level but Shaktar aren't exactly on Spurs level either. Beating England isn't a huge scalp. They were shite for that qualifying campaign.

what a retard.

what have england achieved you nonce?

fuck all. shakter have won the fucking UEFA cup recently, so how the fuck can spurs be a better team than them when they havnt even got to a european final for about a million fucking years.

Your argument is shit anyway. Even if captaining them teams isnt great, i dont know how the hell you could call him average.

but this place is full of geniuses so im not suprised.

what a retard.

fuck all. shakter have won the fucking UEFA cup recently, so how the fuck can spurs be a better team than them when they havnt even got to a european final for about a million fucking years.

Your argument is shit anyway. Even if captaining them teams isnt great, i dont know how the hell you could call him average.

It's football, I don't think there's any need for the paedophile insult.

Croatia have achieved more than England in the 18 years they have been an independent state, they finished third in the 98 World Cup for starters.

England aren't exactly the barometer for international success. I fail to see how that comparison works out.

I decided to leave the other reply as well because its absolutely bollocks. It's not because 'he captained his country and his club side', which is true, it is because he's the one of the top right backs in the world. He's also extremely versatile, and can operate from midfield, or from THE LEFT, as he's delightfully two footed!

Shakhtar has managed some impressive performances in the champions league but have been unfortunately drawn into hard groups fairly often. They've done extremely well in the UEFA cup the last few seasons, including their title.

He's fantastic from free kicks, and spot kicks, as well.

I brought up Tymoschuk because it shows the pedigree of captains for Shakhtar, considering they've won the last two UEFA cups.

Fair enough.

I was simply pointing out that the captaincy arguement means fuck all. That was all I said. Never said we should/should not sign him.

I will say now that despite what you have pointed out there, I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if we signed him. The UEFA Cup is an average competition for average players and shouldn't be used to determine a players ability. If you don't think that then you only need to look back a few years when we were watching Middlesborough in the final. I'm not saying Srna is average but I am saying that he has never had the chance, in a decent team, at the highest level and as such signing him would be a risk.

what a retard.

And I'M the retard.

I never called him average anyway. I just said your arguement over him captaining those teams was majorly flawed.

Fair enough.

I was simply pointing out that the captaincy arguement means fuck all. That was all I said. Never said we should/should not sign him.

I will say now that despite what you have pointed out there, I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if we signed him. The UEFA Cup is an average competition for average players and shouldn't be used to determine a players ability. If you don't think that then you only need to look back a few years when we were watching Middlesborough in the final. I'm not saying Srna is average but I am saying that he has never had the chance, in a decent team, at the highest level and as such signing him would be a risk.

Maybe not consistantly, but they've played against the big guns.

Remember this game, earlier this year, against the Current European Champions?

Maybe not consistantly, but they've played against the big guns.

Remember this game, earlier this year, against the Current European Champions?

Yes I do thanks.

Remember when Simao captained the side which knocked out the then European Champions in 2006? Yet supporters were still 50/50 on him.

Also, I doubt they'd be the European Champions if they played that side in games that mattered.

I hate the way people pull others on things like grammer, most people just type quickly without bothering to proof read everything. Also most people are capable but just dont bother

Do you hate that? Do you hate it as much as being called a child fucker by some bloke who is unable to engage in a debate without slinging insults?

Yes I do thanks.

Remember when Simao captained the side which knocked out the then European Champions in 2006? Yet supporters were still 50/50 on him.

We aren't talking about Simao. We are talking about Srna, and we only have one(not including Mr. Glass Degen) first team right back. Which means, we have to sign another first team right back.

Simao may or may not have been an improvement on what we had/have...

However, Srna is undoubtably an improvement on Degen and arguably an improvement on Alvaro. He's a leader, which is what Rafa seems to like, and he is also a hard worker.

He's technically gifted, and dangerous in the attack. This is like Johnson, but unlike Johnson, he is a solid defender. He's versatile, which Rafa seems to like, and his set piece delivery would be, give or take Gerrard putting his foot through it, an instant improvement on our squad's set pieces.

He'd likely cost less than Johnson, as well.

The Tevez news worries me for a number of reasons.

The money they are asking for is too much, he's a very good player but nowhere near as good as some like to make out, he doesn't score enough, his best position is the same as Gerrards only he doesn't play it as well and we have far more important positions we need to address first.

We aren't talking about Simao. We are talking about Srna, and we only have one(not including Mr. Glass Degen) first team right back. Which means, we have to sign another first team right back.

Simao may or may not have been an improvement on what we had/have...

However, Srna is undoubtably an improvement on Degen and arguably an improvement on Alvaro. He's a leader, which is what Rafa seems to like, and he is also a hard worker.

He's technically gifted, and dangerous in the attack. This is like Johnson, but unlike Johnson, he is a solid defender. He's versatile, which Rafa seems to like, and his set piece delivery would be, give or take Gerrard putting his foot through it, an instant improvement on our squad's set pieces.

He'd likely cost less than Johnson, as well.

I'm aware we aren't talking about Simao but its a valid point. Beating Barcelona's 2nd string means fuck all with regards to signing Srna. Or with regards to Donetsk being a 'big' club.

Josemi would be an improvement on Philip Degen so I can agree with you on that point. My issue is that we should be looking at strengthening other areas of the team before we look at the Right Back position. I don't want another summer of 3 or 4 squad players at low prices. I'd rather one great player for the combined cost of those 3 or 4 squad players. I'd happily take Srna and give him a chance but only if the funds were there after we had signed one more world class match winner.

I'm aware we aren't talking about Simao but its a valid point. Beating Barcelona's 2nd string means fuck all with regards to signing Srna. Or with regards to Donetsk being a 'big' club.

Josemi would be an improvement on Philip Degen so I can agree with you on that point. My issue is that we should be looking at strengthening other areas of the team before we look at the Right Back position. I don't want another summer of 3 or 4 squad players at low prices. I'd rather one great player for the combined cost of those 3 or 4 squad players. I'd happily take Srna and give him a chance but only if the funds were there after we had signed one more world class match winner.

I'm proposing Srna or even Anyukov instead of Johnson, as we'd likely save money, so we can sign someone for our attack that is a matchwinner.