You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does anyone else feel happy when we go a goal down?

Paco

It seems like we only show some urgency when we have to come from a goal or two down. Rafa said something after the game about us running all over the place but we had to do whatever is needed to get back on terms and then try and win it.

I really think the tactics in the league should be give them a goal head start as early as possible and then chase them. We only really look a good side then.

If they don't score then we probably won't score either and for all the controlling and dominating of the games, particularly at home, we aren't getting the wins and that is what has cost us this season.

I'm sick of it to be honest. We run the extra yard when we are a goal down and I don't understand why the players don't do that when the score is 0-0. And I don't understand why the manager fails to see that.

At best, we huff and puff - some people choose to describe this as "controlling the game". Even yesterday, we huffed and puffed but I don't think Given made a save in the first 70 mins. To me, this is piss poor - we bing at home against a team with 1 away win in the whole season.

The answer to your question is YES. I do hope Boro score a goal in the first 5 mins and Sunderland score a couple in the first 10 mins.

It seems like we only show some urgency when we have to come from a goal or two down. Rafa said something after the game about us running all over the place but we had to do whatever is needed to get back on terms and then try and win it.

I really think the tactics in the league should be give them a goal head start as early as possible and then chase them. We only really look a good side then.

If they don't score then we probably won't score either and for all the controlling and dominating of the games, particularly at home, we aren't getting the wins and that is what has cost us this season.

Our record is 6-2-0 from the 8 mathces we've come back from a goal down. That's 2,5 p/match, would be 65 points after 26 games, or 3 points ahead of the mancs. So I agree let the other side start the game a goal up.

Maybe when we're financially fucked by the yanks we can ask FA for this kind of punishment rather than the -30 points deduction?

I'm sorry, but did you not see how often we almost got caught out and almost went another goal behind while we were "going for it"?

There's a reason why we play the way we play.

Not almost. On two occasions they actually did catch us and we went another goal down. Still the facts are: 8 games played coming from a goal down: 6 wins, 2 draws , no losses.

As you say there’s a reason why we play the way we do. There’s also a reason why the mancs are 7 points ahead.

Not almost. On two occasions they actually did catch us and we went another goal down. Still the facts are: 8 games played coming from a goal down: 6 wins, 2 draws , no losses.

As you say there’s a reason why we play the way we do. There’s also a reason why the mancs are 7 points ahead.

Yeah- They're better than us defensively.

Yeah- They're better than us defensively.

Yes they have a good defence. Better than us? I don’t know.

But I do know they start games with an urge to win it whereas we seem to be more concerned about not losing. As we’ve seen repeatedly coming back from a goal down we’re able to create our own fate. Scared chickens that’s what we look like most of the time. So what if the other team nicks a goal, who cares? We just have to make one more than them that’s all.

We're too easy to defend against and, given that most teams have at least a couple of decent attackers you run the risk of them scoring. The mancs run of clean sheets is an anomoly we've had the most clean sheets for years but it's brought us no closer to the title. We need to commit men forward and actually try to win games. If you dont you risk loads of draws as you either dont score at all or you find yourself playing catch up.

He hasn't worked that out after 5 years and there's no reason to think he ever will.

On that stat, as far as I can tell, if you include Europe, the record is 8-3-0 in the 11 times we have gone a goal down.

11 times weve gone a goal down and its only february. Thats shocking, how many times have the mancs done that?

Excuse the rudeness, but who the hell cares how many times the mancs have gone a goal down. Thats 27 points from 33. We've never lost having gone a goal down. That says a lot. We've only drawn three times having gone down, that says more.

I remember sometime ago Rafa said we aim to score one more than the opponent, I wonder if he means he actually wants them to score so we can win.

How many times have we won without conceding first?

Its not like we havent been doing this for about 5 seasons now. We have always played better a goal down.

Its not realistic to play full tempo for a whole 90mins but why no go out to hit teams quickly first 20 minutes instead of poncing about passing it across midfield and back to Reina.

Er..no. Remember the time when we never won a game when the opposition scored first?

You are right - we dont necessarily play better but we quite often play with a better tempo and a bit more urgency from a goal down that we do at 0-0 or even goals up. Seems a shame we have to lose a goal to play that way. I know we cant expect a team to go all out from first minute but sometimes a bit more urgency wouldnt go a miss.