You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

hate to say this

paisley1974

I too would like to see the Skrtel - Agger partnership develop and there will be a time when Jamie will start to play less games but it's not now. AC Milan have about 8 players who are superb and no way past their best. People look at a players age and think that he is past it and it's time to move on. It's not, the best defensive 4 of the last 2 decades was at Arsenal and they were all mid 30's by the time they gave up.

Jamie organises and sorts out our defense, he is a leader and defacto Captain. I understand people wanting to see Agger and Skrtel but neither are as good as Carragher yet.

I too would like to see the Skrtel - Agger partnership develop and there will be a time when Jamie will start to play less games but it's not now. AC Milan have about 8 players who are superb and no way past their best. People look at a players age and think that he is past it and it's time to move on. It's not, the best defensive 4 of the last 2 decades was at Arsenal and they were all mid 30's by the time they gave up.

Jamie organises and sorts out our defense, he is a leader and defacto Captain. I understand people wanting to see Agger and Skrtel but neither are as good as Carragher yet.

I agree. And yet it's ironic that Wenger now refuses to give a player more than a one year contract past his thirtieth birthday and has destroyed Arsenal with this policy, because he's left with a bunch of players with no experience of winning competitions in the squad, which makes it very hard to get through the inevitable dips in form which every team undergoes. Paolo Maldini is forty by the way and has made seventeen appearances for Milan this season already. Sami is 35 and has been as good this season as ever. I can easily see Jamie playing at the top level for another four years, and Agger and Skrtel are only just getting good enough to lace his boots.

Edited by zigackly

How old is Maldini -39?

Obviously fitness will depend on the player but carra has retired from international football to extend his career so there is no reason why he can't go on to 35, 36 or 37.

Sami has another season in him as well after his performancs this year.

I can understand Agger's frustration but if he is that confident in his ability then he should have the balls to back himself and put in the performances to justify his claims!

No matter what your opinions on our central defenders, its clear that while Sami may be happy to play a smaller role, none of the other three will suffer limited opportunities over a sustained period. It's a great shame but there's a good chance we'll lose one of them and unfortunately Agger is looking like the favourite

but jamie is past his best, its agger and skirtel for me

For that observation can you please change your 'sig name' as that's an insult to the great man too, as well as highlighting your general ignorance of Carras worth to the team.

Tell us who reads the game better than Carra, not to mention gives 200% every game.:no

but jamie is past his best, its agger and skirtel for me

You people don't even try hard anymore. In the old days of the internet a proper Wum would put together a half-baked argument that was stupid enough to start arguments but no so stupid that it was obviously utter wank. You just haven't made an effort.