You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 years on

Kevin D

I don't feel I need to make peace with Houllier at all. He brought some good things to the club, we won a few trophies under him, and there were some great memories in all of that.

I feel he stayed a year too long, but that's not the end of the world, and I'm glad I support a club that gives its managers plenty of time as the game is littered with clubs who have a revolving door at the manager's office.

As for the finance stuff, I know he got a great pay off and I'm not sure if there was any other money siphoned off via dodgy transfers and whatnot. If none of that is proven we shouldn't stoke it all up.

Best to remember the good times I feel, or else you leave the door open for bitterness.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier is one of the main reasons why we are in this quick sand of mediocrity.

You can't be ask dense as you appear, you'd not get by as a functioning human.

I believe it was a triumvirate of Houllier his Brother in Law and Mckay.

I believe Rafa's first phone call to Houllier's brother in Law is the stuff of legend. Bascombe wrote an article on it in Blood Red a few years ago.

Do tell, I don't recall that

A bit surprised with the reaction. With time I thought people would thank him for all the good work he did.

He did good work, yes. But his shortcomings in the last 2 seasons he was here in a way harmed the club a lot as well, and fans generally dont forgive and forget so easily...

Guest PaddyBerger15

I believe Rafa's first phone call to Houllier's brother in Law is the stuff of legend. Bascombe wrote an article on it in Blood Red a few years ago.

I've never heard or read anything about that phone call, can you elaborate a bit please mate.

I'll give you the Moores thing Paul, but how can anybody not have a problem with a man who raped the club of serious money with signings via Willie McKay.

I don't know Al but fair enough, i know you know a lot more about the ins and outs than i do because of your connections.

Dont remember this can someone post a link please.

BTW why is he still out of management. Think his reputation in the transfer market has caught up with him.

You can't be ask dense as you appear, you'd not get by as a functioning human.

Do tell, I don't recall that

I don't think I can find the link because I don't think the Echo keep them up for that long.

But the gist was when Rafa first took over he was asessing the scouting network and didn't like what he found. So he rang the chief scout in France and asked him for a list of players he could recomend and was told no. When Rafa asked why not he was told because he didn't have any. He then told Rafa that he wasn't in any way officially connected with the club and in fact he wasn't actually a scout but a travelling French wineseller who would drop Ged a line now and again about any players he'd spotted. When Rafa asked about how he knew Houllier he was told he was his brother in law.

I'm paraphrasing from memory so the exact details are slightly sketchy but the gist remains, our chief scout in France was a travelling wineseller who happened to be the then managers brother in law.

I don't think I can find the link because I don't think the Echo keep them up for that long.

But the gist was when Rafa first took over he was asessing the scouting network and didn't like what he found. So he rang the chief scout in France and asked him for a list of players he could recomend and was told no. When Rafa asked why not he was told because he didn't have any. He then told Rafa that he wasn't in any way officially connected with the club and in fact he wasn't actually a scout but a travelling French wineseller who would drop Ged a line now and again about any players he'd spotted. When Rafa asked about how he knew Houllier he was told he was his brother in law.

I'm paraphrasing from memory so the exact details are slightly sketchy but the gist remains, our chief scout in France was a travelling wineseller who happened to be the then managers brother in law.

icLiverpool - Moment they told me I might die

"Mr Rashid is an expert in his field, but is such a humble person. He is the most human individual I have ever met.

"Likewise, the anaesthetist Jim Murphy kept me breathing for all those hours through an extremely complicated procedure. My brother-in-law is an anaesthetist and he knew how crucial Jim would be. He was brilliant.

:whistle:

I know for a fact that Carra had to change his mobile phone number after he left as he kept belling Carra to find out what was going on.

I know for a fact that he was turning up at Melwood and walking around, One day he turned up with a french camera crew and started filming at Melwood and getting SG to do an interview. The final straw came when he opened Rafa's door and walked in with the camera crew saying "and this is the manager's office" and I built this and I built that.

True stories

All indicative of a man who wasn't very well i would suggest. I know it's an old chesnut but i honestly think his illness took everything away.

All indicative of a man who wasn't very well i would suggest. I know it's an old chesnut but i honestly think his illness took everything away.

That was the beginning of the end. It all started so well and it ended painfully, the football being played in his last season was the worst I have ever witnessed following Liverpool.

He had to go and I am glad he did and I do not doubt the stuff Al is saying and none of it good, far from it.

I'd really like to believe that mate but the vindictive campaign against Robbie Fowler and later Michael Owen seems to show a man who's in control.

An article I wrote for the mag in the 03-04 season. He's not despicable. It just went badly wrong. Anyway, if you've got ten minutes to spare/waste, this sums up his era for me.

-----------------------------------

Were ‘Another Wasted Corner’ – long since disappeared from the fanzine market – to make a reappearance, surely the most appropriate title would be ‘Another Wasted Season’. Hey, it’s not like we haven’t found ourselves in the exact same situation twice before – Souness and Evans stayed (or were allowed to stay) too long and action was only taken mid-season, when things were too late. Anyone high up in Anfield ever think about responding to crises with alacrity and making difficult (or blindingly obvious!) decisions – y’know, the ones you get paid millions to make – in the summer?

It was Winston Churchill who said “The further backward you look, the further forward you can see.” How apt. It’s like a recurring nightmare in L4. For people to make mistakes is forgivable. For the same people to repeat them is not. Parry is about our best hope of change (and given his rumoured bosom-buddy relationship with Gérard, that doesn’t say a lot), seeing as Moores seems increasingly indifferent to the crisis and is docility personified. What does he do? Where is the Club going? Or, more pertinently, where has it gone?

Fourth is Everything, Fifth is Nothing

Gérard should have been sacked last summer (maybe even earlier than that) – that was obvious to many of us. However, he wasn’t, so we’ve had to put up with him this season. Many reasons for keeping him were trotted out by the Apologista: “He deserves a chance to put things right”; “We’ve made continuous progress since he came here, apart from last season’s (2002-03) blip”; “One bad season shouldn’t be the end of him”; “He’ll change to a new attacking style”. And so we waited for the season – one that was bound to be better than what had gone before. But before a ball had been kicked, we saw the goalposts shifted.

Expectations were lowered at the start of the season. The cynics amongst us would say that that was because people at the Club knew we weren’t going to live up to the Number Nineteen tripe that was trotted out by some fans in the summer – lower the bar and you might just keep enough of them happy! Some of us didn’t accept anything less than an authentic Championship challenge; many accepted ‘Fourth and attacking football’. But what is Fourth? Imagine for a second the World Cup is played between four teams: Brazil, Germany, Italy and Liechtenstein. For sure Liechtenstein would finish Fourth. But they’d be miles behind. We may finish Fourth this season (although given that 64 points was only good enough for fifth last season and we’re not on course to match even that, I have grave doubts).

But what would it mean? Nothing (to me anyway). Because, as I’ve said, Fourth should only be acceptable if we were still in the hunt for the Title in April or May; if we were playing good football; and if we were giving the “Big Three” a run for their money, rather than fending off clubs that we shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as. No, it would only be Fourth in name. In Money. In Parry’s Champions-League-dominated, money-infested mind. In essence, it would be Best of the Rest. The Also-rans. The Ordinary clubs. In short, an abdication of all that this Club should stand for.

It’s Fourth as decreed from on high in the corridors of power in Geneva. Rest assured if the bar was lowered to Sixth, we’d hear about “Sixth and attacking football”. It’s a dangerous game this – what can only be termed “gradual drifting”. We’ve moved backwards as the Big Three (and more particularly Arsenal and United) have moved forwards. We need to move fast just to stand still – and that’s not happening under Ged. The fosse is widening – and unless we reassess and start taking tough decisions, the fortresses in Manchester and West and North London are going to become impenetrable. Don’t think it can’t happen. It is eminently possible – indeed, probable. The Past may give us a right to expectations, but we must earn the right to fulfil them.

Don’t just blame Gérard!

Gérard has taken a lot of flak for this season and last – some of his media statements have been mind-boggling and he seems to be settling for second best (or Fourth best!) – describing last season as one “not deprived of success”. Champions League seems to be his new focus, as he’s realised Arsenal and United are out of his reach – “two or three years behind”!

But hang on a minute – this amendment to our unwritten (yet Sacred, put in place as it was by men like Shankly and Paisley) Constitution, stems from the very top of the Club. From the very men who should know so much better. But, because the Mighty Pound supersedes years of blood, sweat and tears, our ambitions have been dismantled and downgraded: the sole aim appears to be to impress in the financial field – rather than on the football field, where Dreams are made.

Want evidence? Lamentably, there’s loads of it – and it’s been apparent for years. Here is a part of the annual report for the last four years, as read by your Chairman, David Moores.

In 2000 the Chairman said: “At the start of the season, the Club set its ambition as ‘consistent qualification for the UEFA Champions League’. A three-year strategy to achieve this was put in place.”

In 2001: “Last year, I spelt out the Club’s overriding ambition as ‘consistent qualification for the Champions League’ – with the emphasis, undoubtedly, on consistency.”

In 2002 he wrote: “The target of automatic qualification for the Champions League was achieved. Qualification for the Champions League remains a vital strand to our business strategy.”

And in 2003 he said: “Over recent years I have repeatedly stated that the Club’s overriding objective is consistent qualification for the Champions League.”

See the common theme here? Not difficult, is it? Champions League is our new “bread-and-butter”. The Club’s “overriding objective”. That’s a sad fact. If we win the League (ha!), it’s a bonus. But so long as we get in the Champions League, Moores and Co. are going to be happy. Fourth is as good as First. I could be very picky here and say that all this is ephemeral anyway, as we quite clearly haven’t achieved this “consistent qualification” – two out four, a 50% strike-rate, hmmm…

This shows the shift that has taken place in the mindset of those who run our Club. This isn’t some hobby, you know. This is about a People, a History, a Culture, an Ethos: I’ll go one better than that – this is our Life. That’s why I can’t understand the Apologista’s defiant support of GH. As if everything was rosy. It’s not. In fact, it’s far from it. The unpalatable truth is that Ged and others at the Club aren’t up to the job and are not delivering.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the greed-ridden, capitalist world we live in. I understand that it is important to be playing in the European Cup. But there’s a difference between “important” and “overriding objective”. Cat Stevens said “It’s only words”. But words are important to me. And words like Moores’s smack of someone who is just shrugging his shoulders. You think John Smith would have done that? We need a leader – not just on the touch-line, but in the boardroom also. It’s not enough to cash the cheques mate. Not when it’s our hard-earned. You take us to the cleaners, then you better make sure that we’re happy. And no Liverpool fan – if they would be honest with themselves – is happy with Fourth.

At times like this, you tend to question everyone and everything. But it’s not as if there haven’t been questions about Moores dating back a long time. In the Spring 1993 issue of ‘Through The Wind & Rain’, for example, in an article entitled “Moores the Pity”, there’s a telling paragraph which goes as follows:

“What was expected at Liverpool, the current situation wouldn’t be tolerated for much longer, winning is important, etc. It was an impressive performance, with a few minor drawbacks. The telling quote – “we are doing everything we can except panic” – was unnerving, since that can be construed as saying they are doing nothing, really. Just sitting there hoping things will come good.”

To be fair, this was – in the words of TTW&R – a “quite impressive ‘call to arms’/”don’t panic” speech. But the similarities – even 10 years on – are striking. There seems to be inertia in the boardroom. An outright reluctance to challenge the status quo. If you’re not panicking, why the heck not??!! That’s what I want to know. Moores sits there hoping we’ll make Fourth – like us all. But without any real belief or conviction. We can’t change things – he (or Parry) can. Like I said in the first paragraph, mistakes being repeated is unforgivable. Especially with ten years’ experience behind him.

Progress?

And here come the Apologista again with another salvo: “The results may [the use of the modal verb perplexes me] not be coming yet, but we are progressing.” Not so fast Batman. I love this word “progress”. I also know what it means. But the Apologista – through a self-serving bastardisation of the English language – have twisted this word to the point that its real meaning has become defunct and anything that Gérard does is seen as advancement in their own “can’t-see-won’t-see” bubble.

I’ll cut out the hassle of checking up a dictionary for you all. Here’s a very unscientific – but nonetheless insightful – method of measuring progress for you. Next time you’re at the match or sitting at home watching the videprinter as the results come in, see whose result you listen/look out for. Is it Arsenal’s? Is it Chelsea’s? Is it United’s? No? Oh, okay.

Then whose? (Wait a minute while I furrow my brow). Newcastle’s? Birmingham’s maybe? Fulham’s perhaps? Charlton’s per chance? Southampton’s? Am I getting warmer? Two years ago, would you have accepted that? In May 2001 (even May 2002) would you have accepted being 20 points off the Top (and 13 points off third) after 18 games? And playing in the UEFA Cup again? And battling for Fourth with 22 (38?) games of the season to go?

Don’t bother answering – I’ll do it for you. The answer to each of them is “No”. And anyone who says differently is a liar. Yet these are the same people who back the manager. Why do you back him? Is it because of “loyalty”? Or is it because you have faith in him delivering? It’s an unsubstantiated support – which crumbles when put to the test of facts. Are you happier with our position in January 2004 than you were in May 2001? Think we’ve progressed?

“We won’t change course” – Newcastle says differently

Very well, you might say – we haven’t been rewarded in terms of points or League position, but what about the new attacking style? Let’s backtrack a little here. We need to, in order to put this “new style” in context. Gérard has been very clever here and he’s duped a lot of people. How you can buy a ‘transition period’ after more than four years in to a job is beyond me. How you can get so many fans to accept this and come on board astounds me even more.

Last season was dire – that’s readily accepted now, even by the Apologista (although they were quiet about it back then!). Ged’s defensive, stifling proclivities came to the fore. There was minimal focus on attacking football. Everything went through our full-backs and towards Heskey. Midfield was bypassed. Long-ball football was the currency of choice. Tedium reigned. In short, things couldn’t have got worse…then came this season.

Kewell’s arrival in the summer brought some hope (though I never thought he’d be the difference between fifth and a Title challenge). “There’s your creativity!” was the cry. For sure, things have been a little better at times. Give me a 3-2 defeat at Charlton every season rather than the shame that was the Riverside in 2002. Lose by all means – but lose when trying to win. Don’t dare lose when trying to draw. Ever. To gunk like Middlesborough. While top of the League.

At the time of writing, we’ve played 18 games. On the whole, we’ve got exactly what we deserved. We are where we should be in the table. And anyone who says otherwise is deluded. There have been great days out – the derby and Blackburn. Leeds at home wasn’t bad either, and Fulham showed we had some battling qualities. But apart from that? Has it really been better than last season? I don’t think so. Sure, we played well in the first half against Arsenal and could have gone in two ahead. We might have snatched a draw at Charlton. We might have had a penalty at Boro.

But it’s all “ifs, buts and maybes” these days. There’s a “shift-the-blame” culture at Anfield. Gérard has managed to uproot one of the oldest sayings in the book – “the buck stops here” and changed it to “the buck starts here”. He’s exceedingly proficient in shifting the blame on to others and even more nimble in accepting credit – “I discovered Stevie Gerrard”; “The staff wanted to sell Milan” – I ask you! Instead of accepting what he says at face value, why don’t you make up your own minds for once? Instead of acting the usual Pavlovian response of “loyalty”, use your own intelligence and ask yourself some searching questions.

Like: Why were we a totally different team second half against Arsenal? Why did we take until we went two down to come back against United and Southampton? Why haven’t the supposed “most shots on target” turned in to goals in the last year? Why are players still playing out of position? Why have we continued to bring in mediocre players? Why has the Academy not been allowed to flourish? Answer – bad management.

You see, the Apologista often harp on about the Club being a shambles when Gérard came in (clearly, it wasn’t, but let’s not dwell on that). They credit him with giving us our pride back; bringing us untold joy with the Treble season; bringing in players who wanted to play for the Club – Sami, Steph, HK, Didi, the French kids; getting rid of a lot of the deadwood – Ince, McAteer, Babb; bringing us Success and Glory: that’s fine by me – I had the time of my life in 2001. I agree that he’s done lots of Good and Great. I’ve applauded many of his decisions. To say otherwise would be foolish and to deny the truth.

But (you knew that was coming, as I am a proselyte) for the Apologista to credit him with this and neglect to pin any of the current problems on him – preferring to obfuscate using the pretext of injuries, Russian millionaires and changes in the style of play – is to lose the argument immediately. You take the credit and you take the stick – it’s a simple principle. You do not pick and choose. He (deservedly) took the credit in the Great times. Why should he not take the stick in the Bad times?

How, on one hand, can you applaud him for his ruthlessness in dealing with Sander, Ince and Jerzy, and on the other hand stand by and watch as he persists with inferior players? This is part of the reason why I have a serious problem with GH and the Apologista. If the ruthlessness which he (correctly) applied to under-achievers is praised and encouraged (“It’s for the good of the Club”), then why do these same rules not apply to him? Is he beyond reproach? Is there anyone at the Club big enough to stand up to him and call him to account. Why have we been so tolerant of him? Because of the Treble? For sentimental reasons? Or because you believe in his ability to bring us home the Title?

Sometimes, of course, there isn’t a lot Gérard can do. Pompey was one such occasion. Southampton – a bad day – was another. The players must stand up and be counted. Boro also. It’s obvious that many of the players aren’t good enough. And they should be criticised for it. Heskey, Riise, Sami Cheyrou, Traore, Diao – they’ve all incurred our wrath over the last year. If they perform poorly on the pitch, then they deserve all the criticism they get.

Just as the manager does if he performs poorly on the sideline. And at half-time. And in the week leading up to the game. And in the transfer market (it’s his squad – nearly all of them are his signings). This is where he should be judged. If Blackburn was the apotheosis of Gérard’s season, then Newcastle was where we plunged new depths. It was a bad, bad day – worse than Pompey for the manager. Pompey had seen players shirk their responsibilities and surrender “We’ll fight for no surrender / We’re the Billy Shankly boys”.

But at Newcastle, the manager failed us. I wrote the following introduction to my match report for the website:

“Gotchya!” (well most of you anyway). That’s what GH must be thinking today, as he looks back on yesterday’s “gutsy” performance at St James’ Park. The players have often (and quite rightly) come in for ridicule this season. Riise, Dudek, Heskey, Hyppia have all felt the brunt of supporters’ frustrations.

But reflecting on yesterday’s shitehouse tactics, only one man can be deemed culpable. You get in the ground, having finally climbed that 14 flights of stairs (amazing the spec £28 will get you these days – one of the goals was a taxi journey away). You hear the teams and think, “Not bad this, looks like we’ll be having a go at least”. Then 10 seconds after kick-off, you realise “Oh shit, we're going with one up front.”

There’s a saying in French – “l’histoire ne se répète pas, elle se bégaye”*. It means “history doesn't repeat itself, it stammers”. I thought we had seen the back of this with the end of last season. I thought the Boros away (version 2002-03) had been consigned to history. I thought the folly of Heskey on the wing (he SHOULD be good there – he has, after all, got TWO left feet) had been acknowledged and corrected. But I also thought “a leopard doesn’t change its spots” – and so it has proved.

Little over a month ago, Gérard was making noises about winning 20 games and having a chance in the Title-hunt (no, seriously). Then our “unreasonable expectations” were used as a pretext for saying Fourth would be a successful season. And our main challengers for Fourth will be Newcastle. So it would be an idea to, ya know, win up there, right? Well, no actually.

Not convinced by a fully-paid up Antagonista like me? Fine. Then, check out the words of Rushian, whom many of you will know from the forums, a long-time Houllier defender (but not Apologista) after the game.

“Au revoir Monsieur Houllier – that was a tactically naive, cowardly, abrogation of our tradition today. Haven’t been as furious after a game in years. A disgrace to the name of LFC. Go now Gerard while you retain the respect of many of us.

He starts with one of the smallest strikers in the league as a target man in a 4-1-4-1 formation playing Heskey as a left midfielder (more accurately second fullback). At various stages Diouf and Heskey swap defensive side positions. All through the first half (when we had one shot) GH and PT urge the players back from the touchline.

Second half just after Pongolle has our best creative piece of work of the match (vicious shot and cross for Gerrard's volley) we see him dragged off for Smicer. For the next ten minutes we play 4-6-0 with GH still urging the lads not to go for it.

Eventually we revert to a 4-5-1 with Smicer (!!) as the target man. In the hole behind 1 or 2 strikers YES. On the wing AT TIMES. As the target man? NEVER.

Our players are still being urged to stay back by the management such that when Smicer does wriggle free up front and hits his shot wide of the far post with the outside of his boot we see his nearest player is 30 yards behind with the next nearest another 20 yards back from that. We went into the game looking for a draw with 23 games to go in the season. At this stage we should be looking to win every match.

No movement forward. Poor movement off the ball. Siege mentality.

Unacceptable.”

I was slated by a fellow forumite via email for calling it a disgrace, but that is exactly what it was. As Rushian said, it was an “abrogation of our tradition”. I’ll add to that by saying it was a lie that came to fruition in front of 3,000 Reds who had got up very early to go to a game we had no interest in winning. Gérard’s tactical naivety is coming more evident by the week and at Newcastle, everyone in the Ground – apart from him – could see we went about it all wrong. Like I said before, much rather lose when trying to win, than sit through that manifestation of pusillanimity.

Newcastle was an indictment of the manager and strengthened the case (as if it needed it!) for him to go. The “progress” term comes to the fore again – at the beginning of 2001-2002, we went there and went up after 4 minutes – just like this season. But then, we went for the Win. Why the change nowadays? Don’t spin me the injury rubbish – if you do, I’ll simply say that it’s Gérard’s squad so if it’s not strong enough, that’s his fault.

Or I could say that we played an £11m striker in front of our full-back. Imagine for a moment the same thing happening if United, Arsenal or Chelsea went to Newcastle: Van Nistelrooy, Henry and Crespo all play 10 yards in front of the left-back for the whole game...it wouldn’t happen. Ever. No matter how bad their injury crisis. Leave aside the fact that Heskey is nowhere near these guys’ league – it’s the principle of it that counts. The sheer bloody-mindedness of it. Why could Heskey and FSP not have stayed up front on the Newcastle centre-backs and occupied them? Same when Vladimir came on...as a target man!!! That is idiocy of the highest order. Yet Reds who should know a lot better agreed with the tactics and defended Gérard yet again.

Rarely have I left a ground so angry as after that game. And the anger was compounded of me because I had – as mentioned above – been lied to. Yes, by Gérard. A few weeks earlier. He had given an interview and had said – quite clearly – that:

“Basically, you progress and you level off and then bounce back. We have arrived at a watershed and are putting in place a different style of play. It’s a transition period, which I explained to my players at the start of the season. It’s an audacious risk for us to take but the team will gradually get used to the new style. Europe can help us. When we won the UEFA Cup, after beating Roma, Barca and Porto, we had the confidence to go on a 17-game unbeaten run. This year again, the UEFA will give a lot of experience to my players – take the pitch in Steaua for example. Even then I was surprised and delighted that we tried to keep passing the ball. This is the proof that the players have accepted this new style and that they are willing to ‘tenter l’aventure’.

Anyone see any sign of adventure at St James’? Audacious risks? Suppose putting Heskey at left-back is a bit of an audacious risk. All together now, “We had Heskey on the wing / He didn’t do a fucking thing” – nah, doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it? No, Gérard, as Rushian said, that was an abrogation of our tradition and a cowardly approach and for that – he’s a recidivist you know!: it happened countless times last season – he should be shown the door.

“Chequebook football”

The internet has given anyone with a finger, the IQ of a monkey (no disrespect to monkeys intended) and a keyboard the right to say what they want. Fair enough, we live in a democracy and all that, but sometimes I really do see the merits of communism and suppression of free speech. I imagine if there was a “Scrawl” font on computers, it’s the one these guys would be using. I can understand people wanting to defend the manager – but blind, unwavering support (and daft comparisons to Shankly) in the face of facts that tell of degradation is plainly misdirected.

But still, we have to tolerate defence of Gérard due to our financial ‘deficiency’ compared to United, Arsenal and Chelsea. There are so many holes in this argument that it deserves to be dismissed without discussion. But for those who still don’t get it, here it is once more. Chelsea finished above us last season – before they got millions to spend. So did Newcastle. Arsenal (and more particularly Wenger) have had less to spend than us. Gérard has been backed to the hilt by the board – I would say he’s got more than enough support and has more or less got every player he ever wanted. For sure, he’s made great signings, but he’s bought more than enough dross to the Club – as outlined by Chris in the last issue.

So the current malaise is nothing to do with lack of funds – more to do with buying players not up to the job. The manager making mistakes. Stephen Wright was a prime example – months after shining at OT, he was being sold because Gérard thought Xavier was a better bet. Xavier, who is now surplus to requirements. I want to know how many of these misfits have cost youngsters their chance?

Is it “The Academy”…or “The Academic”? Because the conveyor belt has run dry. One of the few plus points to come out of the last few weeks has been the introduction of Semmy in to the first team. But the manager’s hand was forced by injuries to Carra, Finnan and the poor form of Traore – why do we not invest Faith in these youngsters? Let’s forget allowing players to “rot in the reserves” on £30,000 a week: incidentally, was I the only one to find that comment disgraceful? Sign of the times that there was no furore about it, I suppose. Let’s see more Semmys, Stevies and Michaels coming through.

In short, let’s move away from financial exorbitance and back to our roots. Nobody denies the need to spend and bring in players like HK, Sami and Kirky; however, mentioning “unreasonable expectations” due to others’ (perceived) greater wealth was inaccurate and underhand. We can produce the talent ourselves. First three names on my team-sheet would be Michael, Stevie and Carrra: home produce. If you’re going to spend huge money, it must be done judiciously and must be an improvement on what we’ve already got.

Disloyalty schemers

We’ve also witnessed a recrudescence of the Apologista’s “loyalty” argument in the last few weeks. Story goes that we don’t call for our manager’s head because it’s not the ‘Liverpool Way’. Again, it’s a startlingly weak argument (you’ll have gathered by now that nonsense and the Apologista go together like wine and cheese).

There are two antithetical viewpoints amongst Reds: either you think Deliverance will come in the shape of the Title or you think Submersion is more likely. Sadly, those of us who maintain (and have done for quite some time) that Submersion is more likely have the weight of Fact on our side. If you can look at this current regime and see a Title in it – as United, Arsenal and Chelsea go from strength to strength – then I can only surmise that it’s your heart ruling your head. And when did the heart ever come out on top…?

What do you suggest us “traitors” should do? Back a man who is clearly failing in his job (if we even take “job” to mean Fourth, never mind the Title!)? Or voice legitimate concerns about him turning us in to a laughing stock; the tedium we’ve had to put up with; the bad signings. What will it take for you to snap? If we’re 5th in May and don’t qualify for Europe and win no Cups, will you be happy to keep him on then?

Spare me all this garbage about the ‘Liverpool Way’ too. Oh, it used to exist – a long time ago. We see occasional glimpses of it – Ipswich, Roma, Dorty – but it no longer embraces an Ethos. The only thing that’s revered at Anfield these days is money. Does Liverpool FC, in its present incarnation, bear any resemblance to the Club you started supporting? As long as we pay the players’ (and manager’s) enormous wages, we have every right to complain. And will continue to do so.

Bracket us all in the Sky Sports, 6-0-6, arriviste category if you like. If it makes you feel better, good for you. If you actually believe Ged is addressing you when he talks about “real” fans, then good for you. But if this whole sorry mess culminates in our world-class striker leaving and our world-class midfielder exercising his get-out clause, you may regret your unwavering loyalty…and may just realise that we’ve been trying to view this with open eyes and saying what we honestly think – not stirring shit for the sake of it.

Lies, damned lies and “shots on target”

Gérard is a statistician manqué. He never ceases to produce stats to support his argument and to try to convince us we’re on the right track. Arsenal exciting? Pah! We have as many shots on target as them. I think it’s a case of “me thinks he doth protest too much”. But if he wants to use facts, then so will I. Digest some of the following stats – it’s the only place you’ll see them, because Gérard sure won’t make you aware of them. Because if he did, he’d be toast. And he knows it.

Take the ‘blip’ which began in November 2002 (and like all short ‘blips’, it’s still continuing more than a year later – naturally). And check out our record at Anfield during that time:

Defend: Sunderland 0-0; United 1-2; Everton 0-0; Blackburn 1-1; Villa 1-1; Arsenal 2-2; Middlesbrough 1-1; Bolton Wanderers 2-0; Leeds United 3-1; Fulham 2-0; Charlton Athletic 2-1; Manchester City 1-2; Chelsea 1-2; Tottenham Hotspur 0-0; Leicester City 2-1; Arsenal 1-2; Leeds United 3-1; Manchester United 1-2; Birmingham City 3-1; Southampton 1-2. That’s a record of P 20 W 7 D 7 L 6 Pts 28/60.

Defend: Falling from 80 points in 2001-02 to 64 points in 2002-03 – a 20% drop.

Defend: 43 points at home in 2000-01 to 41 points at home in 2001-02 to 35 points at home last season.

Defend: 53 points from our last 38 League games, as opposed to 75 in the 38 before that – and, indeed, 75 in the 38 before that too!!! Still look like a ‘blip’ to you?

Defend: Taking till December 28th to get 26 points this season. We had 27 points by October 4th last season.

Defend: Our worst home run in 50 years.

Defend: The spending of summer 2002, when we paid 20m for Diouf (Anelka’s replacement – “You won’t be disappointed, I assure you of that” were GH’s words), Diao and Cheyrou. For a return of games and goals. This was the summer we should have kicked on – Kenny always said strengthen when you’re at the top. GH bought these players – yes they have let him down, but they are his players. We put faith in the manager to take these decisions – he took the wrong ones. He messed up big-time. For that, he should lose his job.

I am now at the stage that I would be happy to see “negative proof” from Ged in his team selection and tactics. That tells all you need to know about how far he has sunk. Using Heskey up front and Vladi in midfield against Newcastle would have been a mere “negative proof”: it us supporters you’re not tactically inept. The more I hear GH in interviews and the more of his tactical decisions I see, the sadder I get as we are on a slippery downward slope. We’re regressing. As others progress. How we laughed at United’s 26-year itch…I’m not laughing any more…14 and counting…

So there you have it – you either agree or disagree with what I’ve said as you’re probably Apologista or Antagonista (although more seem to be vacillating towards the “anti-” camp now!). But remember, next time you want to criticise, think of some of the facts presented. Judge the man based on facts and figures – and if you still think he’s capable of doing the job, then it really is Blind Faith. Certain claim that we will win the Title next year. It’s manifest poppycock. It’s unattainable under the current regime.

Where do we find ourselves now? To me, the Club looks a shambles. It’s run by a weak man. We have a Liverpool Great in charge who’s seeing his Legacy eroded. What are we becoming? A (poor) version of Vialli’s Chelsea? A Cup here, a Cup there. Cups are fine. For five months in 2001, I could think of nothing else. But I only think about one thing now. And GH is not going to land it.

I crave the day I can sing the last two lines of Phil Aspinall’s chorus – “A team that plays the Liverpool way / And wins the Championship in May” and mean it.

Houllier was a CUNT !

''It was my team that wont the champions league''. No it wasnt Mr HaheehaaHoullier.

Were you suffering from Alzheimer's as well. You werent the manager so fucking GEG out of the dressing room now fat head because your not invited to this party.

Go and count your commision money from our big money failures.

Houllier makes me even more angry about Moores. Best mates and all that. Gives him a shit load of money to throw down the bog on African/French shite !!

Houllier was a CUNT !

''It was my team that wont the champions league''. No it wasnt Mr HaheehaaHoullier.

Were you suffering from Alzheimer's as well. You werent the manager so fucking GEG out of the dressing room now fat head because your not invited to this party.

Go and count your commision money from our big money failures.

Houllier makes me even more angry about Moores. Best mates and all that. Gives him a shit load of money to throw down the bog on African/French shite !!

I had forgotten that part of him. Arrogant Bastard. How shit were we then!!

I'd just like to back Dicko on this thread and say that I remember reading the same article by Basco. It must be said though that Basco had totally lost it with Houllier by that stage and was in the mode of producing article after article painting him in a bad light (not saying what he was saying was wrong, but some may have been slightly below the mark).

Like John G, I was on the verge of jacking the reds in for a season if Houllier had been kept on a minute longer, and his dreadful safety first football wore me down in the end.

I'll never forget 2001 though, and will be eternally thankful that we had such a great season that year, as my dad passed away in July 2001. I'll never forget how happy he was after the McAllister derby and the Michael Owen FA Cup and the UEFA Cup final win. The man who first took me to a match in 1976 and grew up through all our magnificent success, at least watched us finish that season on a real high, after so many years of utter shite.