You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

I think Rafa can win the league with Liverpool although i wont be calling for him to be sacked if we dont.

We lost to three clubs last season, twice to Man United and the other games were to West Ham and Reading.

We drew too many games which had we been better in the attacking third we could have won and made a title challenge last season.

Rafa now has the task of trying to work out how he can convert them draws into victories and even if we didnt a single player during the summer i would fully expect us to have a good go in the coming season.

Signing a player who has predatory instincts in front of goal would help. Torres is a world class striker but seldom does he score scrappy goals. We need a poacher. We were on top of most games that we drew last season but failed to kill the opposition off at key moments.

Out of the four players you have just mentioned there Rashid mate only one has signed although i expect Dossena and Barry to both eventually sign up.

Dossena is a very attacking full back and will give extra width on the left so thats help towards the attacking line.

Barry will add balance to the team but in all fairness i dont know how he will aid the attack more then Alonso would.

Milner we have not signed but if we were to i would imagine he is purely being signed as a squad player as he will not displace either Babel or Kuyt.

It is the 18th of June at the moment and the transfer window has not even opened yet and out of the top four Chelsea have signed Bosingwa, Man United have signed no-one and Arsenal havent signed Nasri yet i dont think so they like Man United have signed no-one.

Signing a player who has predatory instincts in front of goal would help. Torres is a world class striker but seldom does he score scrappy goals. We need a poacher. We were on top of most games that we drew last season but failed to kill the opposition off at key moments.

That is right and therefore Villa on the right of Torres would give you the predatory instincts that you mention.

so are you advocating going back to 4 4 2?

I think Rafa can win the league with Liverpool although i wont be calling for him to be sacked if we dont.

We lost to three clubs last season, twice to Man United and the other games were to West Ham and Reading.

We drew too many games which had we been better in the attacking third we could have won and made a title challenge last season.

Rafa now has the task of trying to work out how he can convert them draws into victories and even if we didnt a single player during the summer i would fully expect us to have a good go in the coming season.

:wallbutt: This kind of mentality is the reason why we haven't won the title is so long, Liverpool should never have to put up with this kind of mediocrity.

so are you advocating going back to 4 4 2?

No. If we are signing Gareth Barry then he will play as a holding midfielder alongside Javier Mascherano with Gerrard given the licence to play further advanced. I would like to see us play a 4-3-3 formation with Villa, Torres and Babel/Kuyt as the 3 front players. IF Villa signs and I've got my doubts, then he along with Torres and Babel could rotate and switch positions during the game.

I think Rafa can win the league, but I don't think we will this season. To be honest, I think we could seriously challenge in the coming season if we did nothing in the transfer market this summer. For me the key is the formation, and us playing in the same one week in week out. Rafa seems to have acknowledged this over the second half last season, thus, I believe he can lead us in a serious challenge in the coming season if he continues with the same formation.

I can see logic in the signing of Milner and won't be unhappy if it happens.

That's probably because I don't see him necessarily as a replacement for Pennant, or at least not only.

Due to him being proficient in both positions, Milner can replace both Pennant and Voronin in their respective roles, thus reducing our overload of squad players by one and hopefully making some money off the three transfers (one in two out) - we'd also save on wages.

I also believe Milner would be an improvement on both players and is still young enough to progress with the right guidance.

It's potentially a good bit of business, at the right price.

I think Rafa can win the league, but I don't think we will this season. To be honest, I think we could seriously challenge in the coming season if we did nothing in the transfer market this summer. For me the key is the formation, and us playing in the same one week in week out. Rafa seems to have acknowledged this over the second half last season, thus, I believe we will seriously challenge in the coming season if he continues with the same formation.

Even when all of the previous evidence suggests that Rafa will make a lot of changes to the team throughout the first few months of the season?

I'm eagerly anticipating the first few months myself, because as I say Rafa has previously made a lot of changes within this period to ensure the players are fresh for the end of the season. That's when results and performances have tended to suffer as well, so it will be interesting to see if Rafa has learnt from that.

That is right and therefore Villa on the right of Torres would give you the predatory instincts that you mention.

Absolutely. I really liked the Collymore & Fowler partnership that we had in the mid 90's and feel that a combination of Torres and Villa could be just as effective. We need someone who is capable of nicking a goal when we aren't at our best ie. Blackburn, Porsmouth away last season, and can also convert a chance when we are on top in a game and need to put the game to bed ie. Wigan & Villa at home last season.

I can see logic in the signing of Milner and won't be unhappy if it happens.

That's probably because I don't see him necessarily as a replacement for Pennant, or at least not only.

Due to him being proficient in both positions, Milner can replace both Pennant and Voronin in their respective roles, thus reducing our overload of squad players by one and hopefully making some money off the three transfers (one in two out) - we'd also save on wages.

I also believe Milner would be an improvement on both players and is still young enough to progress with the right guidance.

It's potentially a good bit of business, at the right price.

Ha ha!! You have joined the cult!

Since Bosman changed the relationship between transfers & wages i'm pretty sure the Eng league has been won by 1 of the top 2 wage spenders every year except for the '03-04 Arse side who would have been in the top2 if Roman hadn't come money-laundering in the prior close season.

Since then Arse been clear 3rd spenders & haven't come close to winning it.

We are 4th (& way closer to Newc than the top 2)...

We won't win the league whilst these disparities exist under anyone so be very careful with what you wish for - i fail to see anyone better than Rafa out there & we could do a lot lot worse....

(And no I wouldn't sign Milner if i was in charge but I would re-appoint Rafa every single time....)

Since Bosman changed the relationship between transfers & wages i'm pretty sure the Eng league has been won by 1 of the top 2 wage spenders every year except for the '03-04 Arse side who would have been in the top2 if Roman hadn't come money-laundering in the prior close season.

Since then Arse been clear 3rd spenders & haven't come close to winning it.

We are 4th (& way closer to Newc than the top 2)...

We won't win the league whilst these disparities exist under anyone so be very careful with what you wish for - i fail to see anyone better than Rafa out there & we could do a lot lot worse....

(And no I wouldn't sign Milner if i was in charge but I would re-appoint Rafa every single time....)

How did Valencia win the title under Rafa?

I think Spanish football is less money/results correlated because of how the top 2 teams are run...

The fans' election process leads them both to put 'attacking' football & especially stars above the 'mere' pursuit of titles- hence Barca signing Henry last summer when they needed defensive signings..

Also i do think it was a great achievement- their previous title was in '71 & they have been awful since....

I think Spanish football is less money/results correlated because of how the top 2 teams are run...

The fans' election process leads them both to put 'attacking' football & especially stars above the 'mere' pursuit of titles- hence Barca signing Henry last summer when they needed defensive signings..

Also i do think it was a great achievement- their previous title was in '71 & they have been awful since....

Couldn't disagree more. The Spanish league is just as affected by finance as the Premier League.

Rafa was brought in because of his ability to overcome the bigger spenders.

So Rashid, you don't see any logic in the suggestion we could potentially sign one player and sell two others while not weakening the squad and also making a profit?

If you disagree with the points I made because you have different opinions on the players involved then fair enough, say so.

But it's not illogical.

So Rashid, you don't see any logic in the suggestion we could potentially sign one player and sell two others while not weakening the squad and also making a profit?

If you disagree with the points I made because you have different opinions on the players involved then fair enough, say so.

But it's not illogical.

It's not very logical though is it? We've had no interest for Pennant and there's been nothing mentioned about Voronin being sold.

Also, the lowest fee mentioned for Milner has been £7M. Anyway, if we sold Pennant and Voronin, why do we need Milner when we have Benayoun?

It's not very logical though is it? We've had no interest for Pennant and there's been nothing mentioned about Voronin being sold.

Also, the lowest fee mentioned for Milner has been £7M. Anyway, if we sold Pennant and Voronin, why do we need Milner when we have Benayoun?

West Ham are interested.

I agree with the fact that the Spanish league is less affected by finance. One thing I would point to to back this up is that they don't continuously have the same 4 teams in the Champions League.

That probably weakens your argument. Atletico Madrid are in the CL now because they have gone and spent shitloads of cash, whereas the likes of Sevilla have been selling their best players.