You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

DIC: takeover thread

Ring of Fire

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll know if Hicks has found themoney he needs to buy Gillett out soon enough. Hopefully it's his final bluster, and DIC will get full control. At the moment the £400M bid represents a £25M profit for each one. If it turns out that they walk away with £40M each, as indicated a few weeks ago by either Elisha Scott or Cowtown red (memory fails me) then I will be impressed.

One way or the other, this is coming to a head and will be resolved shortly.

My head hurts man.

They're all gobshites, DIC with their 'will they, won't they' shite, no doubt if they don't get their own way they'll pick their ball up and take it home.

Hicks is just...it's all been said.

As we used to say in Nam: "Kill em all and let God sort em out!"

Hicks is a stubborn fucker i can't see him letting go but it would be difficult for him to get the money to build the stadium

having said that he has a lot of connections especially with pension funds and stuff, if he can convince his buddies that it's a good investment then he might be able to get the capital to do what he wants.

George Gillett Jr ready to trigger Liverpool bidding war | Liverpool - Times Online

George Gillett Jr ready to trigger Liverpool bidding war

Oliver Kay

The battle for the ownership of Liverpool escalated last night as Tom Hicks indicated that he is ready to buy out George Gillett Jr, his co-chairman, just as Dubai International Capital (DIC) sought to increase the pressure on the two American owners to accept a £400 million offer that was made to them last week.

It emerged last night that DIC, the private equity investment arm of the Dubai Government, made a formal offer to buy out Hicks and Gillett on Wednesday. The offer, which has not been rejected, was made by Amanda Staveley, a senior partner at PCP Capital Partners, who once dated Prince Andrew, the Duke of York. The 34-year-old businesswoman is acting as an adviser to DIC and will be given an influential position in the Liverpool boardroom, overseeing the day-to-day running of the club, if the takeover bid is successful.

Parry would be unlikely to survive under Hicks, but nor is there any guarantee that he would be retained by DIC in the long term, particularly because Staveley has been identified as a central figure in the running of the club along with Sameer Al-Ansari, the group's chief executive, who is known to be a Liverpool fan. It is not clear whether Al-Ansari would be based on Merseyside in the event of a takeover, but sources close to DIC have said that it would recruit “the best football brains in the country” to work closely with the team manager.

Just some telling paragraphs I've cut from the Oliver Kay article, coming from a journalist though they might not include a great deal of truth.

However, if the above points are accurate I have to wonder if this info has come from inside, or from a source very close to, DIC? It certainly reads as coming from someone who has a good idea of DIC's immediate plans.

This gives me optimism. I highly doubt that DIC would leak this kind of information if they weren't confident of a deal. They've been embarrassed (in their eyes) once before, I'd be very very surprised if they allowed it to happen again.

Am I the only that think this is wrong?

The 34-year-old businesswoman is acting as an adviser to DIC and will be given an influential position in the Liverpool boardroom, overseeing the day-to-day running of the club, if the takeover bid is successful.

A woman running the club? Call it sexist whatever, but...

Am I the only that think this is wrong?

A woman running the club? Call it sexist whatever, but...

she would be another person, like Parry, who knows nothing about football, long term team development or transfer policy. if anything it should be a director of football who has experience of that position not a "businesswoman"

she would be another person, like Parry, who knows nothing about football, long term team development or transfer policy. if anything it should be a director of football who has experience of that position not a "businesswoman"

Bollocks the day to day running is the job of a businessman.

Fuck all that director of football nonsense off. Rafa does it all anyway he just needs a good negotiator and a board who will back him. Someone who doesnt mind speaking on the phone would be nice aswell.

Bollocks the day to day running is the job of a businessman.

Fuck all that director of football nonsense off. Rafa does it all anyway he just needs a good negotiator and a board who will back him. Someone who doesnt mind speaking on the phone would be nice aswell.

what gets me is that it says "working with the team manager" I firmly believe Rafa should be working with a director of football if anyone, not the chief executive or a "businesswoman", you need someone who understands long term team development, who has worked in that position before (on the continent) and who can be the guardian of a sacred transfer policy and future, clear direction.

my worry is you have people who dont understand these things working with Rafa, making unreasonable demands, decisions or worse just plain irrational short term thinking.

I've no problem with a chief executive or a businesswoman running the commercial side of things, making sure the club shop has enough mugs etc. but not on team development and with the manager, it needs to be someone who understands football. for too long we have ignored long term planning on the pitch and this is what has cost us and will cost us in future

I'm fucking sick of DIC (and others) using the press to manipulate us.

They are wrapping the fans round their little finger.

Isn't it strange how certain media are drip fed snippets of news about DIC and their long-standing interest (and how they're childhood reds) all the time?

Either they shut up and negotiate at meetings and not through the press or pay the price. Or fuck right off.

How the fuck do you know what negotiating has or hasn't been going on? You there with them are you?

what gets me is that it says "working with the team manager" I firmly believe Rafa should be working with a director of football if anyone, not the chief executive or a "businesswoman", you need someone who understands long term team development, who has worked in that position before (on the continent) and who can be the guardian of a sacred transfer policy and future, clear direction.

my worry is you have people who dont understand these things working with Rafa, making unreasonable demands, decisions or worse just plain irrational short term thinking.

I've no problem with a chief executive or a businesswoman running the commercial side of things, making sure the club shop has enough mugs etc. but not on team development and with the manager, it needs to be someone who understands football. for too long we have ignored long term planning on the pitch and this is what has cost us and will cost us in future

For too long we have ignored the fact we are in the top three teams with the biggest world wide support yet we still dont have a new ground and we are behind everyone in terms of cashing in on it which in turn helps the team.

A CEO is in charge of the club, look at the good ones like Dein and dare I say it Gill at the mancs who listen to the manager and negotiate the best deal for the club, i see no problem in letting a business man or woman do that.

A director of football is a disaster waiting to happen.

What do you mean we can't play in pink this week....

For too long we have ignored the fact we are in the top three teams with the biggest world wide support yet we still dont have a new ground and we are behind everyone in terms of cashing in on it which in turn helps the team.

A CEO is in charge of the club, look at the good ones like Dein and dare I say it Gill at the mancs who listen to the manager and negotiate the best deal for the club, i see no problem in letting a business man or woman do that.

A director of football is a disaster waiting to happen.

many would argue that the current setup has been a disaster at least in terms of the league over the (many) years

imagine if we had a director of football when Houllier was in charge, we might not have ended up with some of the crap he bought for big fee's and on long contracts, a monumental waste of money and nothing short of a disaster in my eyes.