You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton Match thread

WaltonRed

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good team, interesting thought on the fullbacks Cardie.

It's not the ideal set up because with Carra and Aurelio you have both assets but in seperate packages so the 'floating' in defence is restricted to Carra and in attack to Aurelio (even though they can fill in in both areas).

If we had a left back with the balance of Arbeloa then you'd probably see a more balanced defence with both fullbacks taking it in turns to slot into a back three while the other pushes into midfield.

The back line is set up how a lot of teams used to play it with one attacking full back and one more defense minded one who could play at CB (France used to play Lizarazu and Thuram for example).

If you have two really attacking fullbacks you leave the wings exposed, but with just one you're closer to Rafa's 'floating 3'.

Lizarazu and Thuram were both attacking weren't they?

Lizarazu and Thuram were both attacking weren't they?

It wasn't like Thuram never crossed the half-way line, but Lizarazu was far more attacking. Didn't see all of France's matches during the 90's, but that's my take on it anyway. I agree with the original comment too, that not both fullbacks need to be as attacking. There's a huge difference between the contributions of Evra and Brown at M** U, and it's not all down to skill from the Frenchman. It's all about the team really, much depends on the player in front of you and his ability to help you out.

Thuram scored two goals in the World Cup semi-final or something didn't he?

I take your point about Lizarazu because he was very gung-ho, but it wasn't a case of having one attacking full back and another one who wasn't attacking. They both got forward well.

Thuram scored two goals in the World Cup semi-final or something didn't he?

I take your point about Lizarazu because he was very gung-ho, but it wasn't a case of having one attacking full back and another one who wasn't attacking. They both got forward well.

I think you're right Ian and I think that's what Cardie was suggesting. If you have two attacking full backs that can slot into the centre then it's easier to let one go and the other fit into a back three. Our formation today could act as half of that with Aurelio being the attacking fullback.

Carragher and Kuyt on the wing... jokes all round.

Either play them in their correct positions or don't play them at all. Noone is telling me Kuyt is better than Pennant on the wing or Carra is better than Finnan or Arbeloa at full back. This is just appeasing playuers shite that Houllier did.

Either play them in their correct positions or don't play them at all. Noone is telling me Kuyt is better than Pennant on the wing or Carra is better than Finnan or Arbeloa at full back. This is just appeasing playuers shite that Houllier did.

orangutan_yawn.jpg

Now that your in your 30's would it be too much to ask for you to act your age ?