You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Feel bad for him. He would have played a lot more had he stayed at Fulham.

I don't feel bad for him at all. He'd have known when he joined us he was going to play less than he would there. The only difficult part is he probably thought he'd come in and play and small number of minutes in a strong a stable side and got his chance in a fucking shit show and just wasn't up to it. I bet though if you told him he'd be starting games in the first portion of the season, he'd have backed himself to take his chance. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't feel bad for him at all. He'd have known when he joined us he was going to play less than he would there. The only difficult part is he probably thought he'd come in and play and small number of minutes in a strong a stable side and got his chance in a fucking shit show and just wasn't up to it. I bet though if you told him he'd be starting games in the first portion of the season, he'd have backed himself to take his chance. 

The difficult part is the part why I said I feel sorry for him. No one expected the cluster fuck of this season and he is probably still thinking what the fuck happened in the last 10 months. He got caught in a season that proved to everyone that a reset is required.

Chelsea have to sell a load of players this summer but doesn't meant they'll do that first.  In fact they'd be stupid not to be lining up players now as the vast majority of the work on signing the most wanted players is done well before the window opens.  When you hear "they have to sell to buy" that isn't a timeline thing.  It just means that there'll be outgoings as well as incomings.  Chelsea will be frantically lining up deals for outgoings as they are also lining up new players.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If clubs had any sense they'd refuse to do any kind of business with Chelsea let them hang on the rope they've made. 

Absolutely. No way do I want our club to give them a penny piece. Never. They can stick their shit players where the sun doesn't shine. 

40 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

The difficult part is the part why I said I feel sorry for him. No one expected the cluster fuck of this season and he is probably still thinking what the fuck happened in the last 10 months. He got caught in a season that proved to everyone that a reset is required.

Sure nobody expected it. But the experience will stand him in good stead I think. Football shouldn't be easy and especially for someone finding their way in the game, it's elite level sport and they likely learn more from set backs as they do from good times. If he hasn't learnt from it, we're best rid of him. 

14 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Chelsea have to sell a load of players this summer but doesn't meant they'll do that first.  In fact they'd be stupid not to be lining up players now as the vast majority of the work on signing the most wanted players is done well before the window opens.  When you hear "they have to sell to buy" that isn't a timeline thing.  It just means that there'll be outgoings as well as incomings.  Chelsea will be frantically lining up deals for outgoings as they are also lining up new players.

It just increases the chances that their players who've come through the academy or have very low book value left against them will be available. Dunno if there's anything in that for us, I'm not fussed on mount or gallagher, but I think it's inevitable they'll be shifting on players with low book values. Do they escape uefa ffp for this season as they're not in competition and as long as they get things sorted by June 24, they're ok?

I'd be looking to replace Fabinho his resurgence is a myth he looks okay with a second midfielder in there but compared to his own standards he's looked like an old man at a young age. The rest of the current midfield I wouldn't be too arsed about losing any of them. Jones has had a decent enough spell against poorer sides, he's a squad player so worth keeping hold of. I'd want a rightback and ideally competition for Salah on the right. Left back too and maybe a forward plus a back up keeper if Kelleher is going ahh fuck it may aswell get a centreback too and some young prospects. I'm fairly sure we will just buy a midfielder a kid and two left sided forwards.

44 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It’s systematic of our terrible recruitment strategy in the past two years. Him, Gakpo and Nunez feel like they were bought with no plan in mind.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'd be looking to replace Fabinho his resurgence is a myth he looks okay with a second midfielder in there but compared to his own standards he's looked like an old man at a young age. The rest of the current midfield I wouldn't be too arsed about losing any of them. Jones has had a decent enough spell against poorer sides, he's a squad player so worth keeping hold of. I'd want a rightback and ideally competition for Salah on the right. Left back too and maybe a forward plus a back up keeper if Kelleher is going ahh fuck it may aswell get a centreback too and some young prospects. I'm fairly sure we will just buy a midfielder a kid and two left sided forwards.

For midfield I think we need to buy for the 3 positions. It doesn't mean we have to sell fab, just we need to get his replacement in. For me you bring the new guy in and it gives him time to find his feet and let fab play a role until the new guy is ready, then move fab back in with hopefully a half decent season behind him. If we got a great fee for him, I'd take it as I would pretty much all our midfielders, but I think we have enough to do and if we buy 3 good players we can get the likes of fab some credibility back before shifting him on at good value. 

I thought it interesting klopp mentioned he might pick the team for Southampton based on sentiment. I wouldn't be shocked to see 6 of that starting lineup out of the club by the end of the window. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It just increases the chances that their players who've come through the academy or have very low book value left against them will be available. Dunno if there's anything in that for us, I'm not fussed on mount or gallagher, but I think it's inevitable they'll be shifting on players with low book values. Do they escape uefa ffp for this season as they're not in competition and as long as they get things sorted by June 24, they're ok?

I read somewhere that those ridiculous 8 year contracts they were sticking players on and meant they are not even close to ffp issues.  UEFA are closing that loophole, but apparently they are fine.  There'll be a lot of of outgoings and I agree it'll be a lot of academy lads ("pure profit" they call it), but probably one or two recently bought ones too.

I've said before I'd love Mount here as I think he perfectly suits us.  The only arguments I've heard against Mount so far are related to his haircut and the fact he's a Tory (which I think was also decided based on his haircut?).  Not enough for me Clive!

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

I read somewhere that those ridiculous 8 year contracts they were sticking players on and meant they are not even close to ffp issues.  UEFA are closing that loophole, but apparently they are fine.  There'll be a lot of of outgoings and I agree it'll be a lot of academy lads ("pure profit" they call it), but probably one or two recently bought ones too.

I've said before I'd love Mount here as I think he perfectly suits us.  The only arguments I've heard against Mount so far are related to his haircut and the fact he's a Tory (which I think was also decided based on his haircut?).  Not enough for me Clive!

I bet you've got Fine Gael hair. 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yep, once they sort the short term issue of this financial year (ending 30th June) they'll have a year to sort out the squad before next financial year.

The big issue for them is clubs will no that and, if brave enough, can keep chipping away at Chelsea until the end of August when things could start to get desperate for them because at that point they'll only have the January window.

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It’s systematic of our terrible recruitment strategy in the past two years. Him, Gakpo and Nunez feel like they were bought with no plan in mind.

I completely disagree with that. I think gakpo is obvious and we've litterally watched it play out. I think Nunez was to bring us a much, much better version of divock as part of a plan not to fall just a.little bit short come the end of the season. Carvalho is what we've done for years, pick up lads who's value probably outstrips their cost and they'll fill holes in the squad and provide cheap squad fillers, with the possible upside of them really working out and worse case they probably don't cost much. Solanke, minamino, Shaq are all examples of this in the past. 

7 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I read that while they gave lots of 8 year deals, they fucked something up in their calculations and they have to sell some players this season to balance this year's ffp. I guess we'll see in the next month! 

As for mount, I understand why people like him. He looks like he can press well and his numbers have been pretty good till this year. But I always felt (and I don't have stats for this, just my own viewing and dodgy memory) that he gets most of his goal involvements when he's in the front 3. I don't see him as a midfielder in their system at any point. maybe he would work in this box midfield we are trying to create. But I'm just not sold. I've never really watched him and thought "if only he played for us". It just feels to me like a more expensive Shaq signing. 

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Gakpo seems like he was absolutely bought with a plan in mind, he also seems like part of that plan was to remedy the summer signing of our other striker.

Gakpo came in and was immediately played centrally even when we needed players to play on the left, and had to play Elliott there on occasions.

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I completely disagree with that. I think gakpo is obvious and we've litterally watched it play out. I think Nunez was to bring us a much, much better version of divock as part of a plan not to fall just a.little bit short come the end of the season. Carvalho is what we've done for years, pick up lads who's value probably outstrips their cost and they'll fill holes in the squad and provide cheap squad fillers, with the possible upside of them really working out and worse case they probably don't cost much. Solanke, minamino, Shaq are all examples of this in the past. 

You don't make Nunez one of your biggest signings to make him a plan b, he was coming in to be our main striker with the hope his all round play was good enough and coupled with his goals it'd be a sufficient package to both replace Firminio, change how we play slightly and add more goals.

We fucked up, he wasn't nearly as good on the ball as people hoped and we weren't set up to carry that kind of player in attack. 

Gakpo was the course correction and now they have to find a way to make Nunez work.

Thankfully Man City provided a blueprint to that and if we manage to sign the right #8/#10's and fix the midfield we might have the option of playing a more structurally and tactically sound version of the 3223 with Gakpo or the Man CIty/Haaland 3-2-4-1 that gives Nunez little to do but take shots.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Expecting a melt down…

IMG_9177.png

What's the big thing with this guy that I'm missing? His highlights reel is just him basically trying to snap every player in half. 

Obviously if we are playing against Bruno Fernandes every week that's enough of a reason to buy him but is he really that good with the ball?

80% of the teams we play against sit back and counter us. We need another Trent type who looks to play forward passes. Macallister can do what this bruiser does and is proven in our league. The other midfielder we buy has to be great on the ball, good at dribbling and creative in his passing.