You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Milner wants to keep playing beyond this season 

TLW

James Milner remains a very important part of the Liverpool set-up according to Jurgen Klopp.

The contract of the 37 year-old expires at the end of this season and with the speculation of a midfield overhaul in the summer, it was believed that the veteran may call time on his illustrious 20 year career.

There has also been some talk that Milner may become a member of Klopp’s back room staff when he does retire as he is regarded to have one of the most astute minds when it comes to the game.

But speaking ahead of the clash with Chelsea today, the manager stated that the midfielder still has a ambition to play on.

milner2_600.jpg

“We have different plans for Milly but Milly wants to keep playing.

“When you see him play the other night I think everyone understands that. You can't judge him normal for his age. He is 37, doesn't look a day like this when he is in training.

“He is an incredibly important player and in this game (Wolves) you saw on the pitch as well. It is not that Milly expects to play 64 games a season but in 64 games a season Milly could be extremely important. That is how it is."

Milner has worn the colours of Liverpool on more than 300 occasions, which is more than 100 more than the next on the list (203 appearances with Man City).

When it comes to the Premier League, Milner currently sits fourth in line when it comes to appearances, currently he has 606 ( 211 for Liverpool) and is only behind Frank Lampard (609), Ryan Giggs (632), and out in front is Gareth Barry with 653.

With that record now in sight and being the determined figure that he is, plus the fact that he keeps himself in great physical shape, it is little surprise that the highly regarded figure may want the record to himself.

milner7_600.jpg

And as Klopp stated, despite making a few stops along the way, he can classify himself as a Liverpool player first and foremost.

“Milly has reached 600 games and most of them for Liverpool.

“Even a player who had a few clubs can end up at his club and I would consider Liverpool as his club and I am pretty sure the club should use his character and his mind-set because it is really special. 

'There might be more fancy players out there but no one with a similar mind-set and that makes him incredibly valuable for us. And it is not because I am too loyal. It is just a fact."

Another player whose Liverpool future is up in the air at the end of the season is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain but the midfielder maintains that he is in good physical shape and has plenty more to give.

"I have only had the hamstring injury during pre-season between that time [since the ACL injury].

"When the game time is down sometimes people correlate that with an injury, when over that two-year spell I have only had the hamstring injury, but I wasn’t playing as much. Being fit and available and wanting to play, but not playing as much as you would like is tough as a footballer.

"There is a lot of competition for places so when you do get the opportunities it makes you that little bit more hungry to make sure you take them. I still feel like there is more in me for sure."

View full article

One performance/game every 10, it makes no sense for a club with a budget tighter than a working class Tory. His attitude is always great but we should be buying players who offer us more and who will be part of a new team. We cling on to players like its kids fleeing the nest. He's 37 this year, we are the 3rd biggest earning club in the world and we are conditioned to want to keep players because "they could do a job" because we know its always the absolute minimum they can get away with when it comes to FSG. Milner has been a brilliant signing but this should be his last year.

You know what as much as i feel this should be his last year, if we get in the required improvements im midfield i am not totally against him staying - but if him staying means we scrimp on the midfield rebuild/don't do anything - then we deserve all we get as a result.

He'll overtake Lampard's league appearance numbers whilst here, if he's set on trying to overtake Giggs and Barry then he will have to go somewhere else to do that.

Personally if he wants to go down the route of coaching after playing then I'd love him to stay on a season to season contract and be a break glass option for big games to come on and kick people about and keep things tight whilst helping Klopp and Co with player development etc.

• Upvote 2

Milner is a proper Liverpool player.

Assuming he’ll take a heavy pay cut, he needs to be part of this football club and he needs to be getting his coaching badges.

Would love him as a permanent member of a new boot room, especially over that book writing twat.

• Upvote 2

I think Milner is the perfect example for our youngsters - and all of our other players for that matter - to follow.  I'd keep him on the books, he could lead the dressing room, mentor the kids on and off the training pitch and be confident that he wouldn't let us down if called upon.  He's one player - out of a dwindling number - where I'd have no qualms about renewing his contract.

• Upvote 1