You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool enter talks with Saudi Arabian and Qatari consortiums over a potential £3BILLION takeover

Paulie Dangerously

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The glazers have set a deadline though and it would appear they just want out. Our owners on the other hand, just like when they have footballers the club no longer wants, are only willing to sell at the right price, so haven't worried about selling at a deadline like a transfer window. This is why anyone who thinks they care about who they sell to is kidding themselves. What they care about is value - if someone hits their number we'll be gone and if they don't, we'll continue in limbo. See Naby Keita as an example. 

Much like this flawed element of the transfer strategy with Keita and Ox, the longer they keep hold of us, the worse we will get and the further we will fall behind.

Looking at the two clubs objectively, it should be FSG who are more desperate to sell.

Our first team needs a much bigger overhaul than United's, our young players coming through don't look as good as United's either.  They are almost certain to get Champions league football next season, whereas we are almost certain not to.

I don't get what FSG are thinking now?

3 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

Much like this flawed element of the transfer strategy with Keita and Ox, the longer they keep hold of us, the worse we will get and the further we will fall behind.

Looking at the two clubs objectively, it should be FSG who are more desperate to sell.

Our first team needs a much bigger overhaul than United's, our young players coming through don't look as good as United's either.  They are almost certain to get Champions league football next season, whereas we are almost certain not to.

I don't get what FSG are thinking now?

There are loads of things that come into play. Personally I think they know they've struck gold with klopp. Everyone told them years ago how much he'd need to spend to build a compeitive side after Rodgers (this was a team losing 6-1 at Stoke) and he did it on a tight budget. They will just expect that again and they know our wage costs are such that while turnover will be down if we're out of the CL, profitability will likely be undamaged as many of the wages are success driven. 

United on the other hand have huge debts from both old aquisitional debt and player debt. They can't be far off their debt ceiling I assume - or at least manageable debt, especially with rates rising. In addition to that, their wage bill is massive in or out of the CL. And by all accounts the ground needs hundreds of millions spent on it in both the general admission and hospitality areas. 

Both clubs are attractive because elite level European football teams don't become available very often. Both teams carry some baggage that means they're probably not worth quite as much as each of the owners would like. FSGs risk here imo, is if the glazers are feeling a little like fire sale, they may hit a low value sale price which will set a bar for Liverpool.  

2 hours ago, Megadrive Person said:

Why though?

The reason we try and get our transfer business done quickly and silently is that we don't want to attract attention of other clubs and trigger a bidding war.

In terms of selling the club, a bidding war is exactly what FSG do want!

It feels like we are going to be second choice, sitting around waiting to see if any of the interested parties that didn't get United are interested in us. Essentially means FSG will be here next season and we'll have fuck all to spend in the summer. 

Unless one of us is planning on bidding why would they play it out in the media?

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Unless one of us is planning on bidding why would they play it out in the media?

The more interest that there is the higher the price they can sell for. If somebody had made a sizeable bid and they announced it publicly it could flush out other interested parties. 

What have they got to gain by not doing this? 

48 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Share price has increased because the deadline is approaching. The shareprice last week only valued them at £3.2bn. so there's room for an uptick should someone bid above that. 

Glazers will probably dump a load of shares at the higher price, like they did when Ronaldo signed and they made £150m..

The only one that hasn’t been linked to them is Peter Lim.. who would be perfect for them!

27 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

The more interest that there is the higher the price they can sell for. If somebody had made a sizeable bid and they announced it publicly it could flush out other interested parties. 

Doo you reckon multi billionaire business men get their investment opportunity news from the Daily Mail or Sky SPorts?

43 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

I’ve outlined the process on the previous page. 

The mancs have a deadline, we don’t seem to. 

I have to think, any company indirectly announcing they will “blow other bids out the water” is somewhat daft. 

4 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ratcliffe pays @TheBitch’s wages. 

We could have an established forumite with a line directly to the top. 

All my info will be posted on the MF. I’ve links to the upper echelons of Ineos. 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Talk of Ratcliffe taking out loans to fund the purchase / cover the debt.

Be hilarious if they end up back in the same position. 

Big Jim has never, ever, ever paid for anything out of his own pocket. There will be loans and debt. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

No, obviously not, but it's obviously not in FSG's interest to keep any bids it receives private is it?

Depends how they want the process run. If the banks are doing their stuff, why should a public auction help? If FSG are trying to create a frenzied auction, then maybe, but I doubt that's what they want. I think they'll want to to be quiet and professional and let the bankers do their work.  They will have is an amount they want to cash out at. It either gets hit or it doesn't and I'm sure that number is near the top of any blind auction anyway. 

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

'Investors' who make bold claims via the press tend not to be the investors that have the money to invest but people who want the exposure.

Which is what we found out in 2010… loads of cunts were “interested” but only NESV showed up with the cash…

I’d love Broughton and his consortium that he had got together to bid for Chelsea to bid for us, he knows his stuff and knows the club but probably too far from his pad in London so won’t be involved. Shame. 

17 minutes ago, navbasi said:

Which is what we found out in 2010… loads of cunts were “interested” but only NESV showed up with the cash…

I’d love Broughton and his consortium that he had got together to bid for Chelsea to bid for us, he knows his stuff and knows the club but probably too far from his pad in London so won’t be involved. Shame. 

This isnt correct.

In 2010, there were a number of interested parties in buying the club for different reasons. Clearly, what is now FSG were in the bidding, so too was Peter Lim who actually bid £10m more than FSG. If you want to know how the club would be now if Lim's bid had been accepted, check out the toxicity of Valencia now then thank your lucky stars he didnt buy us.

There was also Gilletts financiers who were looking to recover the money he owed. If they'd have bought us, there would have been a real fire sale at Anfield.

It was the High Court who determined FSG's offer was best for the club. The others had the money but were deemed not suitable.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

This isnt correct.

In 2010, there were a number of interested parties in buying the club for different reasons. Clearly, what is now FSG were in the bidding, so too was Peter Lim who actually bid £10m more than FSG. If you want to know how the club would be now if Lim's bid had been accepted, check out the toxicity of Valencia now then thank your lucky stars he didnt buy us.

There was also Gilletts financiers who were looking to recover the money he owed. If they'd have bought us, there would have been a real fire sale at Anfield.

It was the High Court who determined FSG's offer was best for the club. The others had the money but were deemed not suitable.

My point was that there were a lot of blaggers claiming to have the cash… remember Yahya Kirdi the billionaire and “China buys Liverpool”…. Lim would have just loaded us with debt and we would have been at square one again just with a different owner..

What Broughton did was eliminate a lot of that noise..

I can’t remember if it was the High Court that decided what was the best proposal or RBS who the money was owed to….

Although slightly different given the money was owed to RBS, the process of the sale to FSG in 2010 was similar to now.

RBS got Broughton appointed to the board to search for suitable parties. Parties proved funds & reviewed accounts. Parties then made bids, the board / RBS decided who was the best bidder.

41 minutes ago, navbasi said:

My point was that there were a lot of blaggers claiming to have the cash… remember Yahya Kirdi the billionaire and “China buys Liverpool”…. Lim would have just loaded us with debt and we would have been at square one again just with a different owner..

What Broughton did was eliminate a lot of that noise..

I can’t remember if it was the High Court that decided what was the best proposal or RBS who the money was owed to….

Martin Broughton and his board selected NESV as best bidders. 

On 09/02/2023 at 16:05, Megadrive Person said:

Unless there's something major going on privately behind the scenes, we are going to be stuck with FSG and face having to rebuild with the funds raised from selling Nat Phillips in the summer!

Nat Phillips is worth more than Man United 

• Upvote 1

The American businessman who tried to buy Newcastle United and Sheffield United is serving a sentence for wire fraud in a California jail.

Henry Mauriss made a £330million offer to buy Newcastle in 2019 while the Saudi Public Investment Fund’s bid for the club stalled. Mauriss met with owner Mike Ashley in the offices of Flannels, the fashion brand belonging to the former Newcastle owner, but a deal never materialised.

He also agreed a deal in April 2022 with Sheffield United’s owner Prince Abdullah bin Musa’ad bin Abdulaziz Al Saud to buy the South Yorkshire club. The mooted price was £115m. That deal also did not go through.

The Athletic can now reveal that Mauriss was under sustained FBI investigation throughout his attempts to buy Newcastle and he even had a self-surrender date in place during his failed bid for Sheffield United.

The 59-year-old has been in jail since July last year.

6 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

You’ve got to imagine all this shit with Man City is causing states to think twice about investing now.

Maybe. I reckon it just changes the model. Before was buy some cheap, shite club with a record of winning like bill kenright. Throw all your money at it so your wins belong to you and not the club. Now if this all changes the way teams spend and they want to win major trophies on a regular basis, they need to buy the prestige big names who turnover the most money, as they will naturally float to the top. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

You’ve got to imagine all this shit with Man City is causing states to think twice about investing now.

Unless they are just interested in the sports washing element... Saudi thought nothing of paying a 38 year sex offender (allegedly) who nobody else wanted £175m a year to play in their Pro-league that has an average attendance of about 10,000 per game....