You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RIP Liverpool v Wolves 10-9-22

Chip Butty

I don’t understand how Chelsea can be on Wednesday but Arsenal off Thursday.

Looking at the funeral timetable, there is a precession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster on Wednesday, surely that’s going to attract hundreds of thousands of people? 

Apart from people being able to visit Westminster, there are no specific plans from Wednesday evening until the funeral. 

3 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

PSV's fans travel in numbers and can cause aggro is the reason apparently.

If that’s the issue, they should have just banned away supporters like Rangers and Napoli.  

Seems some inconsistencies in how these postponements are being handled. 

I’m supposed to be going to this and frankly I hope it’s called off. Worst possible fixture in the worst possible place - only a couple of miles from Westminster. Massive potential for aggro as they’ll be giving us moral high ground dogs’ abuse and if we respond at all it’ll get nasty. It always gets nasty there anyway.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Sounds like our game against chelsea is off if reports are to be believed. I dont think this is as bad a thing as some people make out. Plenty of time in the 2nd half of the season to fit the 2 games in and not sure why many seem to think they must be played this side of the winter WC.

Also, we need to fuck the 2 domestic cups off this season. Killed us last season, and we've now won them.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

I’m supposed to be going to this and frankly I hope it’s called off. Worst possible fixture in the worst possible place - only a couple of miles from Westminster. Massive potential for aggro as they’ll be giving us moral high ground dogs’ abuse and if we respond at all it’ll get nasty. It always gets nasty there anyway.

I’m meant to be going and agree. 

Wish they’d just announce it so I can move my train ticket to Arsenal. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Sounds like our game against chelsea is off if reports are to be believed. I dont think this is as bad a thing as some people make out. Plenty of time in the 2nd half of the season to fit the 2 games in and not sure why many seem to think they must be played this side of the winter WC.

i am not sure there is time - well not if there's any chance of runs in the cups. i think the only gaps in the calendar are for domestic cups and internationals - there's about 5 domestic cup matches in january alone. obviously if we go out of the domestic cups and europe, it'll be a piece of piss. 

29 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Man Utd v Leeds set to be off.

How long are they expecting these queues to see the queen? 180 miles from Westminster to Old Trafford seems excessive.

I had the radio on in the car before and they were saying it's unlikely any category 1 games (which would include this and our game) are almost certainly off. The likes of Brentford v arsenal may go ahead. And it's the same reason arsenal is off v psv. 

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I had the radio on in the car before and they were saying it's unlikely any category 1 games (which would include this and our game) are almost certainly off. The likes of Brentford v arsenal may go ahead. And it's the same reason arsenal is off v psv. 

I get all the policing issues this weekend, I genuinely do, it just seems somewhat random the way some of it is being applied.

Rangers v Napoli - The Queens body remains in Edinburgh. Thousands have lined the streets today. I assume Glasgow police need to assist the Edinburgh police. Completely understood. The game is moved from Tuesday to Wednesday so (I assume) the Glasgow police can go back to Glasgow. Given they'll likely be under staffed Tuesday night and likely a large part of Wednesday, it makes sense to ban Napoli supporters.

Chelsea v Strazburg - The Queen's body is transported to Buckingham Palace Tuesday night. The is a precession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster on Wednesday afternoon. Stamford Bridge is c.3 miles from Westminster. Surely thousands and thousands are going to line the streets on Wednesday and getting across London to Chelsea will be a nightmare.

Arsenal v PSV - The Queen's body is on show at Westminster Abbey for well wishers. I appreciate PSV might be the issue here, I don't understand why they've just not banned away supporters like Rangers have, ensuring the game goes ahead. Or are they saying that even without the PSV supporters, the police can't handle 55k Arsenal supporters?

Brentford v Arsenal - The ground holds 17.5k, so likely a significantly smaller operation than an Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea game. However...

Spurs v Leicester - Seemingly 60k attending this is OK? So why can't Arsenal play on Thursday.

Man Utd v Leeds - Old Trafford is 180 miles away from Westminster. Not having that on is fucking stupid. I'm sure plenty of other forces can assist policing the game. Why not play with no away supporters?

Seemingly the solution for some games isn't being applied to others. It just seems daft. If the FA had a shred of common sense, they'd have allowed all games last weekend and the postponed all games this weekend, instead the dopey cunts have caused a complete cluster fuck.

• Upvote 1

Who would have thought that we'd get shafted in all this bollocks eh....

2 games to somehow find a way to fit into an already fucked schedule - 1 was bad enough, 2 is laughable....and of course we'll fall even further behind the leaders this weekend.

No league game for nigh on a month for a team who often struggle after breaks is IMO not good - even given mess we are currently in....

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

No league game for nigh on a month for a team who often struggle after breaks is IMO not good - even given mess we are currently in....

Although I wanted the games played, personally, due to our form, I’m glad they are off. A change is as good as a break etc. 

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Although I wanted the games played, personally, due to our form, I’m glad they are off. A change is as good as a break etc. 

Gives us a chance to get a few off the injury list and the likes of Thiago, Arthur and Jota fitter before the next league game. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I get all the policing issues this weekend, I genuinely do, it just seems somewhat random the way some of it is being applied.

Rangers v Napoli - The Queens body remains in Edinburgh. Thousands have lined the streets today. I assume Glasgow police need to assist the Edinburgh police. Completely understood. The game is moved from Tuesday to Wednesday so (I assume) the Glasgow police can go back to Glasgow. Given they'll likely be under staffed Tuesday night and likely a large part of Wednesday, it makes sense to ban Napoli supporters.

Chelsea v Strazburg - The Queen's body is transported to Buckingham Palace Tuesday night. The is a precession from Buckingham Palace to Westminster on Wednesday afternoon. Stamford Bridge is c.3 miles from Westminster. Surely thousands and thousands are going to line the streets on Wednesday and getting across London to Chelsea will be a nightmare.

Arsenal v PSV - The Queen's body is on show at Westminster Abbey for well wishers. I appreciate PSV might be the issue here, I don't understand why they've just not banned away supporters like Rangers have, ensuring the game goes ahead. Or are they saying that even without the PSV supporters, the police can't handle 55k Arsenal supporters?

Brentford v Arsenal - The ground holds 17.5k, so likely a significantly smaller operation than an Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea game. However...

Spurs v Leicester - Seemingly 60k attending this is OK? So why can't Arsenal play on Thursday.

Man Utd v Leeds - Old Trafford is 180 miles away from Westminster. Not having that on is fucking stupid. I'm sure plenty of other forces can assist policing the game. Why not play with no away supporters?

Seemingly the solution for some games isn't being applied to others. It just seems daft. If the FA had a shred of common sense, they'd have allowed all games last weekend and the postponed all games this weekend, instead the dopey cunts have caused a complete cluster fuck.

I dunno either to be honest. All I would say is maybe the way the Dutch fans and Italian fans travel make it a little different? So maybe Napoli come on organised flights in the main, which are easy to just cancel. While psv maybe just travel independently and if the game went ahead there's every chance they'd try and get to the stadium. Also, they are often different police forces, so each call will be likely made independently. I'm not saying any of it is right, for this weekend I think they should have cancelled all games. 

14 minutes ago, aws said:

Gives us a chance to get a few off the injury list and the likes of Thiago, Arthur and Jota fitter before the next league game. 

In 20/21 when we went on that awful run, it was after the March international break we came back and won 8/10 (and the other 2 were draws when we conceded in the last few minutes). Although the football wasn't necessarily better, we got 3rd through force of will as much as anything.

Hopefully eek out a win tomorrow and come back for Brighton re-focused.

• Upvote 1