You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

It's more why do you care (you're free to believe what you want), unless you're actively putting yourself in the way of these things how does it impact you in any way?

My single biggest month to month interaction with this subject (which is limited in the first place) comes from seeing/hearing non-trans, predominantly white, 30-60yo, slightly gammon-like men, often of a right wing/liberal persuasion, ranting about it in some form of media.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's more why do you care (you're free to believe what you want), unless you're actively putting yourself in the way of these things how does it impact you in any way?

My single biggest month to month interaction with this subject (which is limited in the first place) comes from seeing/hearing non-trans, predominantly white, 30-60yo, slightly gammon-like men, often of a right wing/liberal persuasion, ranting about it in some form of media.

You mean the Transgender Thread?

18 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Ageism and sexism.  

amazing how you don’t see any of the women who aren’t falling for this bollocks. Sexism again?  

Bad man. 

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Single biggest doesn't mean only.

I’ll give you that, but thinking this is a topic more spoken about than white men means you aren’t listening to women.  I mean JKR is probably the most famous person dealing with this, all the court cases have been women. if you only look in the wrong place you won’t see what’s really happening. 

37 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ll give you that, but thinking this is a topic more spoken about than white men means you aren’t listening to women.  I mean JKR is probably the most famous person dealing with this, all the court cases have been women. if you only look in the wrong place you won’t see what’s really happening. 

Again, I said my not the.

You're conflating my personal exposure, which I've already said is limited, to the entirety of the argument.

That doesn't mean I'm not aware of the likes of JK Rowling, or Julia Hartley Brewer, or the cast of Loose Women or the LGB alliance or the posters on Mumsnet.

It means that, like a lot of more left leaning people, I'm fed far more content, rightly or wrongly, pointing and laughing at stuffy middle aged politicians/right leaning commentators/audience participants or vox pops of people getting angry at Trans/Black/Gay people because they have the temerity to be different to what those people consider 'normal'.

I don't have Trans friends, and I don't seek out news about trans people as vehemently as others and while I acknowledge that horrendous acts are carried out by people under the guise of being trans it's equally true of any other group marginalised or otherwise (Is it only Trans people and Muslims who seem to share a common bond where the actions of one require the entirety to show contrition?). 

What I also don't do* is seek out content that isn't intended for me and then get annoyed/offended that the subject of that content is flaunting their 'lifestyle'.

Live and let live.

*I probably do.

• Upvote 1

On 12/01/2023 at 11:12, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Literally nobody, in any country, is suggesting that a field shouldn't be called a field.

"Fieldwork" (which has got nothing to do with any lea or meadow) has echoes of various terms with baggage from the era of slavery.

If a university in the USA wants to have an internal debate about that, let them.

I agree, let them. They should be free to debate these points all their want. It’s the impact of those debates on the wider world, either directly or cumulatively that give me pause for thought. As long as they don’t come up with some jargon alternative (fine up until this point, btw) that then becomes compelled speech, then it really concern me. That said, people are of course free to call it ridiculous in their opinion, and I think it’s pretty silly personally, in response. 

I don’t know why it ever has to go beyond that. Let’s all have whatever say we want and then wherever the chips fall, we go from there. Nobody needs shutting down or cancelling or whatever else happens. 

EDIT: Fucking hell, I thought that was a new post. Ignore all that. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Again, I said my not the.

You're conflating my personal exposure, which I've already said is limited, to the entirety of the argument.

That doesn't mean I'm not aware of the likes of JK Rowling, or Julia Hartley Brewer, or the cast of Loose Women or the LGB alliance or the posters on Mumsnet.

It means that, like a lot of more left leaning people, I'm fed far more content, rightly or wrongly, pointing and laughing at stuffy middle aged politicians/right leaning commentators/audience participants or vox pops of people getting angry at Trans/Black/Gay people because they have the temerity to be different to what those people consider 'normal'.

I don't have Trans friends, and I don't seek out news about trans people as vehemently as others and while I acknowledge that horrendous acts are carried out by people under the guise of being trans it's equally true of any other group marginalised or otherwise (Is it only Trans people and Muslims who seem to share a common bond where the actions of one require the entirety to show contrition?). 

What I also don't do* is seek out content that isn't intended for me and then get annoyed/offended that the subject of that content is flaunting their 'lifestyle'.

Live and let live.

*I probably do.

again with the dismissing of the women as the cast of Loose Women or Mumsnet.  Weird really.  But never mind. You could have listed a whole number of left wing feminists who are fighting against a men’s rights campaign.  You didn’t mention the white middle aged men trying to get into women’s spaces.  Funny how we see things differently. 

18 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Imagine that not being the point, at all. 

Isn't it? You always fart on as if you're speaking for women, but you're oddly silent on the loads of women, from any country, any political party & any part of the spectrum of sexuality, who wholly support trans rights.

Some women don't count.

It'd be more honest if you just made it clear that you speak for yourself and yourself alone.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Isn't it? You always fart on as if you're speaking for women, but you're oddly silent on the loads of women, from any country, any political party & any part of the spectrum of sexuality, who wholly support trans rights.

Some women don't count.

It'd be more honest if you just made it clear that you speak for yourself and yourself alone.

Of course some women don’t think it’s a problem. But there are enough of the ones who do to make a difference.  Once the true impacts are aired (like the bloke in a womens prison) it tends to bring the whole thing into sharp relief.  Usually because people like you say ‘it’ll never happen’. And then it always happens.