You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lesser known delicious foreign food

Remmie

Ever since going to Georgia for my honeymoon I have been captivated by their delicious food and wine. This is Adjarulian Khachapuri, very difficult to find in the UK but easy enough in Ukraine from whence I write. Each region of Georgia has their own delicious bread and this one is the daddy amongst them in my book. The fact it brings a new interpretation of badly packed kebab only adds to the experience. 

IMG_20210902_135504.jpg

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Ever since going to Georgia for my honeymoon I have been captivated by their delicious food and wine. This is Adjarulian Khachapuri, very difficult to find in the UK but easy enough in Ukraine from whence I write. Each region of Georgia has their own delicious bread and this one is the daddy amongst them in my book. The fact it brings a new interpretation of badly packed kebab only adds to the experience. 

IMG_20210902_135504.jpg

I’ve never had this but right there with you with regards to food and wine in Georgia. It’s beautiful and the bread is amazing. 

I actually used to eat in a Georgian Restaurant in Kiev. Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it but it was blinking nice.

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

I’ve never had this but right there with you with regards to food and wine in Georgia. It’s beautiful and the bread is amazing. 

I actually used to eat in a Georgian Restaurant in Kiev. Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it but it was blinking nice.

There are plenty of them, Ukraine and Georgia have close ties, largely due to a common enemy in Russia. Get to Georgia if you can, an amazing country. 

I still haven't tried Canadian Poutine yet, though having never been to Canada is kinda largely behind that plus being vegetarian yet wanting as close to authentic as possible. Yanks and Canucks are probably giving it chinny reckon about Poutine being lesser known but I would argue it is definitely the case here in the UK. 

Just now, Remmie said:

There are plenty of them, Ukraine and Georgia have close ties, largely due to a common enemy in Russia. Get to Georgia if you can, an amazing country. 

Yes, I went once for work. Only for a few days though. It was nice, the people were lovely and very keen on taking me on trips to churches.

I can’t remember too much about the food whilst actually in Georgia but I’m sure it was nice. First time I tried it was at a restaurant in Warsaw. I was a little sceptical but went at the insistence of a colleague. It blew my mind how simple, yet beautiful it was. Right up my street. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Anybody in London, or visiting, and looking for somewhere off the radar but outstanding head to Mosab in Westbourne Park/Notting Hill way.

It’s Eritrean and the food is amazing.

Do they do much vegetarian food if you recall? 

59 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've always fancied a proper authentic deep south pan of gumbo. I love stews and scouse so I can imagine I'd love this. I know you can make your own but I want one done properly in New Orleans. 

Gumbo-11.jpg

shrimp-chicken-gumbo-ck.jpg&q=85

Cheers Remmie I'm starving now 

Give you a chance to say this-

• Upvote 1

Btw great idea for a thread @Remmie

i love Bulgarian food too and eat a lot of it. Heavy Turkish and Greek influences with plenty of Grilled meats, meat balls, mousakka, salads. Prob lesser known ones are;

Lutenitsa - which is Red peppers, tomato loads of garlic and sometimes aubergine made into a spread. Great as side with various meats, salads etc. I like it with scrabbled eggs with spinach and feta (I’m keeping that off the breakfast thread as it’ll be neg central)

https://cookinglsl.com/red-pepper-tomato-spread-lutenitsa-recipe/

Another one is Tarator which is basically cold yogurt and cucumber soup which is brilliant on a really hot day. Yogurt, peeled and de-seeded cucumber into small pieces, lots of garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and plenty of dill. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.food.com/amp/recipe/tarator-bulgarian-cold-cucumber-soup-62181

5866020A-82E0-4389-8ED0-D0305FBBEF52.jpeg

C11DAD76-8903-477F-AD7A-9DCE2737DBFF.jpeg

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Btw great idea for a thread @Remmie

i love Bulgarian food too and eat a lot of it. Heavy Turkish and Greek influences with plenty of Grilled meats, meat balls, mousakka, salads. Prob lesser known ones are;

Lutenitsa - which is Red peppers, tomato loads of garlic and sometimes aubergine made into a spread. Great as side with various meats, salads etc. I like it with scrabbled eggs with spinach and feta (I’m keeping that off the breakfast thread as it’ll be neg central)

https://cookinglsl.com/red-pepper-tomato-spread-lutenitsa-recipe/

Another one is Tarator which is basically cold yogurt and cucumber soup which is brilliant on a really hot day. Yogurt, peeled and de-seeded cucumber into small pieces, lots of garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and plenty of dill. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.food.com/amp/recipe/tarator-bulgarian-cold-cucumber-soup-62181

5866020A-82E0-4389-8ED0-D0305FBBEF52.jpeg

C11DAD76-8903-477F-AD7A-9DCE2737DBFF.jpeg

I imagine that soup is amazing, will be knocking one of those up soon, with some fresh from the oven bread I assume? 

• Upvote 1

For those looking for inspiration recipe wise buy this…

https://www.amazon.com/Palomar-Cookbook-Modern-Israeli-Cuisine/dp/0451496612

It’s a collaboration between an Israeli and a Palestinian looking at food from the area, then they take it to an insane level of tastiness.

The restaurant is called Palomar in Soho and it’s great.

If you whisper nicely in the waitresses ear ‘Can I go to the Mulway for a cheeky cocktail’ you’ll be whisked away for a drink in a very, very hard to get in to and very fucking cool cocktail lounge.

Don’t go telling everyone though.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I imagine that soup is amazing, will be knocking one of those up soon, with some fresh from the oven bread I assume? 

Yeah you can with bread maybe something lighter though I like it on its own or with a shopska salad as it’s more a summer dish. 

ah I also forgot the tarator has crushed walnuts too that’s essential. @TheHowieLama FYI.

• Upvote 1