Quantcast
Munich Aircrash 60 years ago today 6 Feb 1958 - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

dockers_strike

Munich Aircrash 60 years ago today 6 Feb 1958

Sad business the whole thing. First and foremost for those who died and also their families and loved ones. Then for Man Utd and then also for the wider game. The bit I know about Duncan Edwards, for example, makes me wonder where he would have ended up in the pantheon of greats had he survived and played on. Stuff like that is everyone’s loss (not intended to be disrespectful to his family at all).

Anyway, just want to echo everyone’s sentiments. RIP and respect to all affected.

As for the money, it was troubling to read the excerpt above. Hopefully the club has done something more for the families, but looking closer to home and considering our own house, there are plenty of ex Liverpool players who helped build the club who have fallen on hard times and the club did nothing. The business side of it can be really harsh and unfair, unfortunately. And it needn’t be.

Lad next to me in work (City fan) was telling me that in the old Maine Road they had a bar at the back of a stand called the Frank Swift stand. He was a reporter and on the plane when it crashed. he died. Apparently this didn't stop a certain element singing Munich songs in the same bar. 

It makes me sick when I hear some of our lot sign about Munich. Regardless of what fans of Utd/Everton want to sing, we shouldn't be lowering ourselves. 

RIP The Busby Babes. 

God bless them. Horrific event.

In defence of Cantona, he's been supportive of the HJC and seems a decent fella.

Surely the club should have covered the expense of bringing him in for the game?

Anyone singing out Munich deservesva good kicking. Apart from any other reason that should be enough Busby was a former Liverpool captain. Probably would have been the manager had the board not been fucking shite (not that it turned out bad that he didn't get it).

c310d53912517b6ca1e596b39b3d83c9.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah the fays you could be rivals on the field and didn't feel the need to act like a bunch of cunts off it.

Just have no time for any off it myself.

This is from Stephen Morrin's book on the disaster:

swa43k.jpg

That was absolutely disgusting. I think Martin Edwards deserves some of the blame for diverting attention away from its true aim.

This is from Stephen Morrin's book on the disaster:

swa43k.jpg

Ha! Nothing sums up the mancs better than that bit of writing, the Hucknall stuff is vomit inducing.

Suprised the mancs haven't tried to copyright the disaster to be honest.

Lot of this stuff doesn't sit well with me in all honesty, I've got sympathy for those who died and their families but I don't associate it with a club or a fan base as such or feel any great need to show solidarity or 'put rivalries aside' any more than I would about Grenfell or the Warrington bomb. It was a tragedy.

I feel the same when certain other clubs, notably this lot and Everton show any kind of emotion towards Hillsborough. Feels a bit cheap and hollow somehow. Mourn and reflect as individual humans beings if they must, but the 'we come in peace stuff' is all a bit naff.

• Upvote 1

Some lad I know constantly slags the Mancs off on a daily basis yet as soon as February 6th comes around its how boss a person he is for changing his profile picture on Facebook to the Busby babes.

I'm like you Section, I feel that a lot of this rivalries aside business is all for show. I don't really think many Mancs genuinely feel any sympathy towards us over Hillsborough. They always say "what about Heysel?". A lot of Evertonians i know have been saying for years that we killed our own fans yet when the inquest verdict was announced it was all fake JFT96.

If it was up to me only us would have a minutes silence the weekend of April 15th because it reduces the opportunity for knobheads to sing through it like Chelsea do then everyone get wound up about it for weeks after it.

• Upvote 1

Although I'm a massive Liverpool fan, My Dad is a big Utd fan and has been for over 70 years, the Babes were his heroes, especially Duncan Edwards.

In 1997 for his 60th birthday,  the family paid for Jackie Blanchflower to spend the afternoon in a local club chatting to my Dad, he was on the after dinner circuit at the time so we just paid his fee and he was telling us loads of stories about the Babes, my Dad was in his element!

• Upvote 4