You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Just amazed that we're still not signing players.

Absolutely ridiculous behavior from the club. Since when are there only one or two players in world football that can improve on what you already have?

This is a team that finished 4th last season

On the last day of the season with no room for error.

Our season nearly collapsed due to the lack of squad depth last year and now we'll have more games this season.

The lack of transfer business is insane.

Does it not seem a bit counter intuitive to think that? I get what you are saying - but, we haven't even signed any 'developing' players ala Grujic.

Lets see what happens. I've no problem with waiting for VVD it was obviously a complicated situation, and he has admitted we are looking for midfielders.

Honestly jockey I've got no idea what they're doing. My guess is that Klopps come in and seen what an absolute joke our transfer dealings have been and put a stop to it. It was obvious to anyone that signings like Aspas and Alberto were squad "value" signings. I was absolutely sick to the back teeth of making signings like that and we made a lot of them. Other than Robertson our signings have generally been first team starters or youth players.

It felt like up until this transfer window we had the excuse they we couldn't get better players than we had until we got in the champions league. I genuinely believed when that happened Klopp and the club would be able to attract the players in to push us on and I would rather us wait until then rather than spend unnecessary money on more Moreno's.

It appeared they had done that with Keita and Van Dijk which is obviously why Klopp sounded so confident at the end of last season. I personally don't think we will sign either now. The way the club appear to be acting is that they were very confident in signing those two because they knew the club would back them with big money. They weren't expecting what has happened to happen and subsequently haven't got alternatives lined up. A lot will say that's criminal negligence and thy might be right but the fact is there aren't a lot of footballers at that level who aren't either already at big clubs or would move to those clubs above coming to us.

I'm guessing the reason he convinced them to join was in the basis of long conversations about how the team would be built around them. You can't go around having those conversations with lots of players because none will believe you then and you won't get any of them. This means now that Klopp either sticks with what he's got and waits another season to get Keita and work through some new targets or goes against what he's done so far and signs players like Rodgers did in 2014 who will more than likely fail and waste the clubs money. He's is in a bit of a catch 22 imo.

• Upvote 2

I disagree with the bit in bold.

Not that i am too arsed, he is the manager and it is his decision. But, the fact that they can't agree on alternative players can't be Edwards fault entirely - Klopp has to take the blame for this as well?

Considering the importance that stats play in Edwards assessment I can't believe for one minute he will ignore them and go with Klopps intuition. I get not - getting an inferior player e.g. a direct replacement for Keita, but we haven't even replaced Lucas who player 31 times last year! That has to be down to Klopp - it isn't a difficult or expensive position to replace considering it's important to him?

Of course it's not down to Klopp. He's stated loads of times he wants a midfielder.

Either they can't agree on a target or Edwards can't get a deal done.

Honestly jockey I've got no idea what they're doing. My guess is that Klopps come in and seen what an absolute joke our transfer dealings have been and put a stop to it. It was obvious to anyone that signings like Aspas and Alberto were squad "value" signings. I was absolutely sick to the back teeth of making signings like that and we made a lot of them. Other than Robertson our signings have generally been first team starters or youth players.

It felt like up until this transfer window we had the excuse they we couldn't get better players than we had until we got in the champions league. I genuinely believed when that happened Klopp and the club would be able to attract the players in to push us on and I would rather us wait until then rather than spend unnecessary money on more Moreno's.

It appeared they had done that with Keita and Van Dijk which is obviously why Klopp sounded so confident at the end of last season. I personally don't think we will sign either now. The way the club appear to be acting is that they were very confident in signing those two because they knew the club would back them with big money. They weren't expecting what has happened to happen and subsequently haven't got alternatives lined up. A lot will say that's criminal negligence and thy might be right but the fact is there aren't a lot of footballers at that level who aren't either already at big clubs or would move to those clubs above coming to us.

I'm guessing the reason he convinced them to join was in the basis of long conversations about how the team would be built around them. You can't go around having those conversations with lots of players because none will believe you then and you won't get any of them. This means now that Klopp either sticks with what he's got and waits another season to get Keita and work through some new targets or goes against what he's done so far and signs players like Rodgers did in 2014 who will more than likely fail and waste the clubs money. He's isn't a bit of a catch 22 imo.

I agree with that! I do think Klopp is wanting quality, not a load of potential - we have that in TAA, Kent, Woodburn, Grujuic, Gomez, Solanke!

I'm the same over the squad players - we needed established internationals not 20 year old projects, but have ended up with neither. I think VVD has been a balls up - our 'mistake' has obviously led to them refusing to do business with us (he obviously wants us - as Chelsea, Arsenal and City have not bid for him). And as you say - we don't seem to have any alternatives - although I think we all disagree with the 'quality' of Lovren and Klavan, and that is where my worry lies regarding Klopp. 

If we did buy a £50m centre-half then I can see VVD going to Chelsea, so it is a balancing act I do get that - but, improve on Lovren and Klavan then - sorry Jurgen but you are wrong, they can be improved upon and still we can accommodate VVD  in January. 

The penny has dropped over the midfielder it seems - judging by reports. 

Of course it's not down to Klopp. He's stated loads of times he wants a midfielder.

Either they can't agree on a target or Edwards can't get a deal done.

He's only just said that mate! 

He seemed quite settled before Germany. Sorry but Klopp has a reputation for developing players and identifying potential, so I find it very difficult to believe that he and Edwards cannot agree on an alternative to a 22 year old! 

The only conclusion I can draw is that Klopp didn't want anyone else. 

I'm guessing the reason he convinced them to join was in the basis of long conversations about how the team would be built around them. You can't go around having those conversations with lots of players because none will believe you then and you won't get any of them. This means now that Klopp either sticks with what he's got and waits another season to get Keita and work through some new targets or goes against what he's done so far and signs players like Rodgers did in 2014 who will more than likely fail and waste the clubs money. He's is in a bit of a catch 22 imo.

Agree with this.

Also, Im pretty sure that Klopp and the club didnt think RBL would be so intransigent over the keita transfer. There's even a story going around that RBL indicated a price at which they'd sell to LFC only once receiving a bid for that price, told the club to fuck off, no deal.

As far as van dijk goes, southampton can go billy big bollocks with this 'we're making a statement' but the fact is they were open to selling van dijk for a huge profit but, as we all know, someone between the player's agent and LFC fucked up big time.

Ive see people suggest we tried to sign unavailable players, how does that work? How do you know a player is 'unavailable'? Answer, you dont know until you ask.

People are now reverting to the 'sign anyone' mantra which is not what we should be doing. We all fell for the line that being in the CL would make it easier to attract big names to the club. No, it doesnt. You're just competing with other bigger draw clubs for better players.

It would be great to just click our fingers to have clubs and players running to do business with us but life's not like that.

• Upvote 2

Not bothered about not selling the players - a cursory glance at the current transfer fees, suggest we are not asking for much. Regarding Sakho maybe people should question why this apparently excellent defender isn't struggling to keep up with the offers! 

Because what's the point in spending £30m on him, or £20m on him, when they can pick him on a loan deal on 31 Aug, when we inevitably cave in?

September 1st could spell the end of the ITK.

Dozens of the rats running for their lives, renouncing their faith, lynch mobs ready, ropes in hand.

Run Macca run, Graeme Kelly hiding in the wardrobe. An ethnic cleansing of Twitter, VVD crawling back home with his tail between his legs.

The backlash will be brutal.

• Upvote 1

I agree with that! I do think Klopp is wanting quality, not a load of potential - we have that in TAA, Kent, Woodburn, Grujuic, Gomez, Solanke!

I'm the same over the squad players - we needed established internationals not 20 year old projects, but have ended up with neither. I think VVD has been a balls up - our 'mistake' has obviously led to them refusing to do business with us (he obviously wants us - as Chelsea, Arsenal and City have not bid for him). And as you say - we don't seem to have any alternatives - although I think we all disagree with the 'quality' of Lovren and Klavan, and that is where my worry lies regarding Klopp. 

If we did buy a £50m centre-half then I can see VVD going to Chelsea, so it is a balancing act I do get that - but, improve on Lovren and Klavan then - sorry Jurgen but you are wrong, they can be improved upon and still we can accommodate VVD  in January. 

The penny has dropped over the midfielder it seems - judging by reports. 

This thing about improving on lovren and klavan gets looked at by fans in isolation. Klopp probably sees our 4 CB's in order of strongest as Matip, lovren, klavan and gomez.

Fans seem to think it's easy to bring in a better replacement for lovren and klavan while leaving Matip and gomez's position as is. But the whole world including any other centre back out there knows we see van Dijk as our primary target so at the very least would form our back partnership with Matip.

Centre backs out there who see themselves better than klavan or lovren arent going to sign for us to be 3rd choice behind van Dijk and matip. Whether van dijk is here now, january or next summer (maybe even not at all), a centre back supposedly better than lovren wont sign unless he's going to get some gaurantees about playing time.

• Upvote 1

I think we have to wait until after the Hoffenheim game to see some movement. It will be a mad week, probably with a few out that won't really affect the first team (Sakho, Markovic, one or two other fringe lads) and hopefully three good players coming in.

Coutinho is the one we don't want to go, but it doesn't look good. If he does go, we need more creativity in addition to the central defender and midfielder we've sought all summer.

• Upvote 1

I think we have to wait until after the Hoffenheim game to see some movement. It will be a mad week, probably with a few out that won't really affect the first team (Sakho, Markovic, one or two other fringe lads) and hopefully three good players coming in.

Coutinho is the one we don't want to go, but it doesn't look good. If he does go, we need more creativity in addition to the central defender and midfielder we've sought all summer.

It must hinge on cl qualification, which shows the owners want the cash in first. If we don't sign anyone after qualifying then we have far bigger problems!

Agree with this.

Also, Im pretty sure that Klopp and the club didnt think RBL would be so intransigent over the keita transfer. There's even a story going around that RBL indicated a price at which they'd sell to LFC only once receiving a bid for that price, told the club to fuck off, no deal.

As far as van dijk goes, southampton can go billy big bollocks with this 'we're making a statement' but the fact is they were open to selling van dijk for a huge profit but, as we all know, someone between the player's agent and LFC fucked up big time.

Ive see people suggest we tried to sign unavailable players, how does that work? How do you know a player is 'unavailable'? Answer, you dont know until you ask.

People are now reverting to the 'sign anyone' mantra which is not what we should be doing. We all fell for the line that being in the CL would make it easier to attract big names to the club. No, it doesnt. You're just competing with other bigger draw clubs for better players.

It would be great to just click our fingers to have clubs and players running to do business with us but life's not like that.

Anyone coming in should be the best CB at the club, not sat thinking that they'd be out on their ear if by some miracle we managed to sign VVD in the future. As far as Lovren and Matip are concerned, I don't think either of them aren't upgradable, it's just that the obvious casualty of us signing anyone should be Lovren

Edit - had a bit of mare there! , started replying to something else re VVD then quoted loads of Jimmy's post! 

Liverpool could sign Davinson Sanchez and Jean Michael Seri today if they wanted.

One's available and the other has a reasonable release clause.

Instead they'd rather play a game of bluff with Southampton and Leipzig.

Yeah but their clubs might say yes and the players might want to join! Becareful what you wish for.
  • Upvote 1

Where will the blame lie if we go into the rest of the season with this squad, Coutinho can surely not be sold now, surely ? For me the owners AND Klopp are to blame until I hear definitively different.

Same ground, stuck record I know, if he just wants VVD and Keita, fine, madness and risky.

Every single person on here could name an available alternative to better Lovren and Wijnaldum for instance, not difficult ? Seems to be.