You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Can anyone imagine moof reacting like this if a Tory proposed marching on the local mosque because of Islamophobia claims? Nope, me either.

No, because nobody would have heard about it. Firstly, nobody knows who the fuck that person is. Secondly, if it was about Islamophobia in the Tory party, you wouldn't have been interested and you wouldn't have posted about it.

I find it quite telling that you thought that a celebrity on Twitter with over half a million followers talking about taking out the Labour leader wasn't worthy of mentioning, but somebody random nobody who was being ignorant in a Facebook comment is worthy of mentioning and others are worthy of criticism because they didn't find one random nobody all that interesting. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, because nobody would have heard about it. Firstly, nobody knows who the fuck that person is. Secondly, if it was about Islamophobia in the Tory party, you wouldn't have been interested and you wouldn't have posted about it.

I find it quite telling that you thought that a celebrity on Twitter with over half a million followers talking about taking out the Labour leader wasn't worthy of mentioning, but somebody random nobody who was being ignorant in a Facebook comment is worthy of mentioning and others are worthy of criticism because they didn't find one random nobody all that interesting. 

Deflect, obfuscate. Instead of asking why people like this find themselves attracted to the Labour Party, you'd prefer to make it all about me. Criticise me for posting about it occasionally (I could post about them every day, there are fresh cases daily). Leading Labour activists become "random nobodies" when they say something bad. Game of Thrones memes become incitement to kill. Yawn.

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Deflect, obfuscate. Instead of asking why people like this find themselves attracted to the Labour Party, you'd prefer to make it all about me. Criticise me for posting about it occasionally (I could post about them every day, there are fresh cases daily). Leading Labour activists become "random nobodies" when they say something bad. Game of Thrones memes become incitement to kill. Yawn.

"Leading Labour activists"?

And the question isn't "why are people like this  (by which, I presume, you mean anti-Semites, since that one Facebook comment is the only thing anybody knows about this person) attracted to Labour?" The first question is "are anti-Semites attracted to Labour?" Given all the time and effort that has been expended on the still-fruitless search for evidence that they are, I think it's reasonable to conclude that they're not. 

40 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Deflect, obfuscate. Instead of asking why people like this find themselves attracted to the Labour Party, 

it’s quite straightforward IMO. Tories are generally pro-Israel or status quo at least, and Labour under Corbyn are generally pro equality between Israelis and Palestinians. So people who are (maybe overly in this particular case) passionate about human rights of the Palestinians would be more attracted to the Labour Party than the Tory party. It’s not unique to the UK either I don’t think. The right wing parties around the world are generally more pro-Israel these days.

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

"Leading Labour activists"?

And the question isn't "why are people like this  (by which, I presume, you mean anti-Semites, since that one Facebook comment is the only thing anybody knows about this person) attracted to Labour?" The first question is "are anti-Semites attracted to Labour?" Given all the time and effort that has been expended on the still-fruitless search for evidence that they are, I think it's reasonable to conclude that they're not. 

It’s a big jump to assume that she’s an anti-semite IMO.

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

What am I deflecting from? I don't know who that is, I don't know if she's a Labour Party member and I certainly don't trust your word on it, I'm not a Labour Party member and I have no reason to deflect from criticism of them. What I do have an issue with is how loudly you talk of your honour and lack of hypocrisy whilst being hypocritical. I'm a member of TLW and I'm talking to a TLW member. As for your line about 'people like this attracted to the Labour Party', I think that's a massive stretch. All parties have people with dodgy views, it's the policies and the actions of the party that count. Unless you want me to bring up a few things LD members have done and project their misdeads on to you party?

Who is this 'leading Labour activist'? 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That's not common sense. It makes about as much sense as the Tory/Lib-Dem credit card analogy. That said, it least this one is in the right direction.

The credit card analogy is a deliberately misleading load of bollocks about debt.

This is completely different.  This is an accurate  (if simplified) explanation of the Keynesian theories about Marginal Propensity to Consume and the multiplier effect. It reflects how money actually moves around in the economy, whereas the credit card analogy deliberately misrepresents macroeconomics.

So, no, the two things are in no way comparable.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, and there's lots of others that you did. I guess I can conclude from that you and therefore the entire LD party agree with bombing mosques. You have to ask yourself why people like that are attracted to the LDs. 

Yawn in-fucking-deed. 

Sorry, I had to neg you for quote-mining me. As I said, the reason I didn't post about it is because Rico did, and you can't seriously expect me to post things that have already been posted. Plus your conclusion makes zero sense whatsoever, as the people in the article you posted aren't Lib Dems, they're Tories.

If you ever find any Lib Dems doing something unacceptable, then feel free to post about it in the Lib Dem thread. I'll happily condemn the people doing something unacceptable rather than the person posting about it, because I'm not an apologist for bad deeds. And if my party was attracting racists by the dozen, then I'd probably ask myself why that was, rather than waving it away as just one of those things.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The credit card analogy is a deliberately misleading load of bollocks about debt.

This is completely different.  This is an accurate  (if simplified) explanation of the Keynesian theories about Marginal Propensity to Consume and the multiplier effect. It reflects how money actually moves around in the economy, whereas the credit card analogy deliberately misrepresents macroeconomics.

So, no, the two things are in no way comparable.

Disagree completely. 

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Sorry, I had to neg you for quote-mining me. As I said, the reason I didn't post about it is because Rico did, and you can't seriously expect me to post things that have already been posted. Plus your conclusion makes zero sense whatsoever, as the people in the article you posted aren't Lib Dems, they're Tories.

If you ever find any Lib Dems doing something unacceptable, then feel free to post about it in the Lib Dem thread. I'll happily condemn the people doing something unacceptable rather than the person posting about it, because I'm not an apologist for bad deeds. And if my party was attracting racists by the dozen, then I'd probably ask myself why that was, rather than waving it away as just one of those things.

I disagree. I think you would try to deflect or come up with some sort of defence. 

33 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I disagree. I think you would try to deflect or come up with some sort of defence. 

I don't think I would. But what I certainly wouldn't do is to deny that it existed in the first place.

In another of those crazy misunderstandings that has plagued his career, it seems Jeremy wrote a glowing foreword for a 2011 edition of John A Hobson's 1902 work Imperialism: A Study, a book which argues that banks and the media are controlled by Jews.

Even Frank Spencer didn't have "luck" like this...