You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the point in Lallana?

Gym Beglin

Considering only Suarez, Sturridge and Stevie have scored more than the 9 league goals for us In the last 3 seasons pulling up Lallana for only scoring 9 for Southmampton is a little unfair. Lallana still hit 5 league goals last season in a stop start year.

When you're job is to stand quite near to the opposition goal, it's not that hard to amass 6 goals in 41 appearances, which is what he did.

That said, Henderson scored 6, and he's running all over the place for 90 minutes.

This has all got a bit unsavoury, because my original point was about selling Lallana and getting a good re-sale price on him and reinvesting it this month.

My point wasn't that he is completely shit. I was pointing out that he isn't going to suddenly kick on from here and be a £25m player. So why kid ourselves when we can go out and buy someone who might actually be a £25m attacking midfielder to replace him?

The Premier League has a lot of money. The upper-middling sides like Southampton will produce some good players. They are not desperate to sell. So they need to receive an offer they can't refuse. We overpaid for Lallana but that comes with the territory. We want to find value for money e.g. Coutinho, but the way big clubs operate, more often than not, is that they overpay for a lot of their players. It's part of being a big club. 

Lallana is a tidy player for me. Not world class and never going to be. But still a tidy player. His first season was stop-start due to injury and also the team in general struggling - after going so close the previous year, and then with a post-Suarez and declining Gerrard headache. 

As for where we go now with Lallana, I'm not too sure. If we are going with three behind a main striker, then for me it would be Firmino, Coutinho and Ibe. Lallana could come in for either one of the Brazilians, and he could, and should, see plenty of action. If we're going with two up top and a diamond four behind, then Lallana will probably see less action.

Still, if he stays fit and produces his best he will be a useful asset. We have plenty of games coming up. 

I think we don't notice the difference if Lallana vanished and was replaced with Texeira, or Suso, or Jose Enrique.

I'd have rather kept Lambert than kept Lallana. Both are shit, but you can see how Lambert can change a game against a certain standard of opposition.

star-trek-shut-up-wesley-reaction-gif-TN

• Upvote 2

I don't see our group of attacking midfielders being able to get away from a couple of defenders and set a chance up. I don't see them breaking at pace and knocking the ball around the full back and getting on the other side of it.

I see a very raw lad in Ibe, I see Coutinho as someone who should be playing deeper in midfield, and then I've got no confidence at all in Lallana, Markovic and Texeira to be the lads who do match-changing things in the way that should be happening at top teams.

Chelsea have Hazard, Oscar, Cuadrado, Moses, Willian

United have Mata, Young, and will replace Di Maria.

City have Sterling, Silva, Navas, Nasri, Toure

Arsenal have Ozil, Cazorla, Oxlade Chamberlain, Ramsey

We can sell Lallana and bring in a game-changer with pace. We don't need any more number 10's, we've got Firmino and Coutinho who can play there, and Markovic can create and score.

Leillana is a decent player, he's just fallen foul of Rodgers penchant for buying players and THEN seeing what they can do, rather than doing it the other way around like everyone else. Not worth anything like what we paid, but Sterling isn't worth anything like what we sold him for either, that's just the way it rolls with English players. He's no dud though by a long shot, he's no Charlie Adam, he's probably the most naturally gifted British midfielder we've got - which isn't saying much I grant you. He could do well if used properly. 

I don't see our group of attacking midfielders being able to get away from a couple of defenders and set a chance up. I don't see them breaking at pace and knocking the ball around the full back and getting on the other side of it.

I see a very raw lad in Ibe, I see Coutinho as someone who should be playing deeper in midfield, and then I've got no confidence at all in Lallana, Markovic and Texeira to be the lads who do match-changing things in the way that should be happening at top teams.

Chelsea have Hazard, Oscar, Cuadrado, Moses, Willian

United have Mata, Young, and will replace Di Maria.

City have Sterling, Silva, Navas, Nasri, Toure

Arsenal have Ozil, Cazorla, Oxlade Chamberlain, Ramsey

We can sell Lallana and bring in a game-changer with pace. We don't need any more number 10's, we've got Firmino and Coutinho who can play there, and Markovic can create and score.

No offence Funneeeee, but some times I feel like we watch different sports.

You want more pace yet advocate keeping Lambert rather than Lallana, list Moses amongst Chelsea's best players and would play Coutinho further away from the goal?

It sounds like you want a punt and run merchant like SWP.

• Upvote 1

Typical shit Rodgers buy. No strategy behind it, no thought of where to play him and how to use him. Just spend a fortune on a tippy tappy player who you then don't know what to do with. And he was his number one target.

Like Allen he should be out the door while we can still get a good fee and put it to proper use.

In reality, other players will be fucked about to accommodate Cruyff turn and he'll take the minutes off better players in the vain hope the ego Rodgers can be belatedly proved right. See Dejan Lovren.

• Upvote 2

he's probably the most naturally gifted British midfielder we've got - which isn't saying much I grant you. He could do well if used properly. 

Yet he's about the 4th best player we've got in his position (thanks to the squad planning of the genius manager) which makes him effectively useless. Even then he barely offers more than someone like Texiera who is several years younger with minimal first team football behind him.

Shocking waste of the club's money.

It is okay to go over the top in your hatred for Rodgers - but Lallana offers nothing more than Texeira?

Kinell man.

'Barely'. 

At the very most he's our 3rd best ACM (which is his position) and that makes him next to useless to us, except when Rodgers decides he has to shove him wide to get him in the team because he's built an unbalanced squad and paid a lot of money for him.

'Barely'. 

At the very most he's our 3rd best ACM (which is his position) and that makes him next to useless to us, 

We play with three behind a striker all the time. He scored 5 league goals in a stop/start year for him, the same as Coutinho.

He's may not be world class but he is one of the better footballers we have.