You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Labour Leadership Contest

The Next Labour Leader  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to cunt Cameron in the bastard?

• Liz Kendall - she invented mintcake.
    • Andy Burnham - such sadness in those eyes
    • Yvette Cooper - uses her maiden name because she doesn't want to be called "I've ate balls"
    • Jeremy Corbyn - substitute geography teacher

Nasty little piece by Sarah Solemani in the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/voting-for-jeremy-corbyn-is-deluded-for-the-love-of-labour-pick-yvette-cooper-10461186.html

Fails to mention that she is a speech writer for Yvette Cooper. One would hope Cooper didn't sanction this.

Also, Sarah, abusing the people you are proposing to win over is not the smartest play in the playbook.

Ed Miliband might be carted out at some point? Maybe he'll leave it though seeing as his brother has already had a go. Or maybe he already has at this stage and I've missed it.

Ed is abroad and has said he's staying out of it. And probably laughing his tits off.

• Upvote 2

Nasty little piece by Sarah Solemani in the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/voting-for-jeremy-corbyn-is-deluded-for-the-love-of-labour-pick-yvette-cooper-10461186.html

Fails to mention that she is a speech writer for Yvette Cooper. One would hope Cooper didn't sanction this.

Also, Sarah, abusing the people you are proposing to win over is not the smartest play in the playbook.

The comments section is encouraging.

Labour are finished in Scotland, they could revive William Wallace & put him in charge & it would make fuck all difference up here.

I strongly disagree. The Labour of Umuna and Cooper are finished, the Coybyn Labour maybe not. 

People turned to the SNP because they wanted an alternative to the Tories that Labour were not providing, but the SNP aren't especially left wing, I feel many Scots at their core are. 

I strongly disagree. The Labour of Umuna and Cooper are finished, the Coybyn Labour maybe not. 

People turned to the SNP because they wanted an alternative to the Tories that Labour were not providing, but the SNP aren't especially left wing, I feel many Scots at their core are. 

Corbyn apparently got a really good reception when he was giving speeches in Scotland last week. Loads of Scots in the Guardian comment section were also saying that they'd only consider voting Labour again with someone like Corbyn in charge.

That Lezza Dugdale isn't convincing though.

Labour are finished in Scotland, they could revive William Wallace & put him in charge & it would make fuck all difference up here.

It kinda feels that way at the moment. It feels to me as if there has been a large-scale collective decision that the Tories can never be beaten by Labour and so 'we'll just pull up the drawbridge and look after our own interests now, thanks'

Fair enough, I can;t believe some of the optimism I read on the political threads on here, if Corbyn gets leadership, I can see him being gone within months, they'll rip the poor bastard to shreds. Maybe I'm just getting a bit old & dillusioned with it, but this country is fucked & there is fuck all hope of Labour doing anything about it.

The three main parties in Britain now are basically tories with different coloured badges on & then there's the Lib Dems who jumped into bed with the cunts.

It's pretty fucking grim from where I'm standing.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough, I can;t believe some of the optimism I read on the political threads on here, if Corbyn gets leadership, I can see him being gone within months, they'll rip the poor bastard to shreds. Maybe I'm just getting a bit old & dillusioned with it, but this country is fucked & there is fuck all hope of Labour doing anything about it.

They've already thrown everything at him and he's just grown stronger. Corbyn will need to keep the momentum going. I think the next stage, if he wins, will be to turn those £3 registered supporters into full members, and to keep his volunteer base growing.  As I said earlier in the thread, it's going to need boots on the ground.

• Upvote 2

They've already thrown everything at him and he's just grown stronger. Corbyn will need to keep the momentum going. I think the next stage, if he wins, will be to turn those £3 registered supporters into full members, and to keep his volunteer base growing. As I said earlier in the thread, it's going to need boots on the ground.

The key has been people seeing the media now for what it is, once that happens, every time they throw mud at him people will know it's bollocks.

Now that Jewish academics have fronted the pro-Israel lobby in support of Corbyn, we've moved on to Corbyn being a cheerleader for a Muslim 'firebrand' who advocated the killing of British soldiers.

Corbyn says he doesn't know him, but the best they can do is a photograph of a meeting they both spoke at in 2009. Yes, six years ago. Because we can all remember people we met once six years ago.

And the cheerleader for the anti-Semite and Muslim firebrand lobby is former Tory, (dont mention hubby managed The Lost Prophets) Louise Mensch. Know a man by the quality of his enemies.

So, the anti-Semitic smears having failed to dent Corbyn's audiences, we've moved on to the last throw of the dice with Mensch linking Corbyn to a man he shared a panel with six years ago, and comparing it to the killers of Lee Rigby. Look everyone - Corbyn wants to kill our brave British boys.

Anyway, just got my e-voting info through so will cast it later.

• Upvote 1

I live in Childwall and contacted my MP and 3 councillors to ask for advice on who to vote for;

I knew Luciana Berger back Andy; 

However I was pleasantly surprised to receive this reply from a councillor;

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your email.
As Ward Captain (branch organiser) for Childwall Ward, I have deliberately tried not to influence members over which way to vote.
However, since you have asked, my choice is Jeremy Corbyn mainly because of his opposition to austerity and for his aim to renationalise the railways, GPO, education, NHS and utilities, support for Trades Unions- and also to abolish student fees.
As the votes do not have to be returned until the 10th of September and, as many of us are away during August, I will be holding a meeting at the beginning of September for members and new members to discuss (without getting into personalities) the policies of the 4 candidates for Labour Leadership.
Meanwhile, there is a lot of info available especially on Facebook where each candidate sets out their stall. There are also a lot of recordings of hustings  and meetings available on You tube.
As a left leaning person, I would recommend googling Owen Jones, The Artist Taxi Driver, and for an amusing take on the ridiculousness of it all- Mark Steele.
Childwall Labour Party also has its own Face Book page -please give a 'like'!

Great to hear from you
and do get in touch if you want any more info-

Ruth

I may have to re join as a full member if that is my local ward organiser.

• Upvote 3

Totally independent; 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33991920

Corbyn 'forgot' meeting banned pro-Palestinian activist

Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn has told the BBC he had "forgotten" meeting a controversial Lebanese activist.

Mr Corbyn initially told BBC Radio 4's World at One programme he had no idea who Dyab Abou Jahjah was.

He later said he must have forgotten meeting Mr Abou Jahjah, who is banned from the UK over his views on the Middle East, in 2009.

Mr Corbyn has rejected "disgusting" claims he is anti-Semitic.

Leadership rival Liz Kendall said Mr Corbyn had "questions to answer" about his approach to achieving peace in the Middle East.

'Political friend'

Responding on Twitter to Mr Corbyn's claim not to know him, Mr Abou Jahjah said: "Whatever reasons made Mr Corbyn say this are for him to know and for us to guess."

That they shared a platform was "beyond any doubt and is documented and resulted in my ban to enter the UK".

"But maybe he forgot all about it," he said. "Who knows?"

The pro-Palestinian activist told LBC radio he had also been present at meals with the MP during the 2009 visit.

"We had, I think two times, lunch or breakfast together, so I cannot say that Mr Corbyn is a personal friend, but he is absolutely a political friend."

Asked whether he had met Mr Abou Jahjah, Mr Corbyn told the BBC: "No. I saw the name this morning and I asked somebody, 'Who is he?"'

He added: "I'm sorry, I don't know who this person is."

'Beyond appalling'

But he later issued a statement saying: "My staff have researched this and tell me that I did meet this man in 2009, but I have no recollection of him.

"As an MP, over the years I meet many thousands of people, and just because I meet them it doesn't mean that I share their views or endorse their beliefs."

Mr Corbyn was also questioned about alleged anti-Semitic comments by his supporters on social media.

He said: "The idea that I'm some kind of racist or anti-Semitic person is beyond appalling, disgusting and deeply offensive.

"I have spent my life opposing racism. Until my dying day, I will be opposed to racism in any form."

'Diplomatic language'

Pressed to explain why he had called Palestinian militant group Hamas "friends" during a meeting in Parliament, Mr Corbyn said he had been trying to start a dialogue to help bring about peace in the Middle East.

He said: "I was in a meeting in the House of Commons for a very serious discussion about the opportunities for peace in the Middle East, and I said to everyone in the room, 'Welcome to all our friends here, let's have a discussion.'

"I think the remark has been taken quite seriously out of context by a lot of people."

He added: "I used it as a diplomatic language in a meeting."