You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moving to Liverpool

Mook

You are right moof; I love the place as well, and I'm there a lot, but the mentality has been more a weakness than a strength for some time now. Travel to Manchester, a place I don't like much, but it is a successful forward thinking modern city European with ambition, energy and an infrastructure that reflects that. Manchester has much more in common with large successful European cities than Liverpool does. As I say, I love Liverpool, but the insularity means it does seem to be getting smaller while it's neighbour just stretches away.

I live in Manchester and trust me the people are as insular as they are in Liverpool. The difference is that successive governments have decided that Manchester is the capital of the north and have provided the funds to create such an infrastructure that it's virtually impossible to be viewed by outsiders as anything but forward thinking. Scratch below the surface and it's nothing special.

Oh and Mook, unless prices up there mean you would end up in a bad shithole I wouldn't consider moving from Edinburgh to Liverpool on a budget of £140. I'd be looking at something in the region of £180k to consider moving from Manc.

Out of the places I've mentioned you'd probably get somewhere decent round where I live or Maghull maybe for that. It it ever happens just make sure you post up on here the area you're thinking of. I was just looking at a house then in Hartsbourne Avenue which is a shithole in Belle Vale that says it's in Gateacre on the estate agents site. Lying bastards.

And priced as Gateacre I wonder?

Oh and Mook, unless prices up there mean you would end up in a bad shithole I wouldn't consider moving from Edinburgh to Liverpool on a budget of £140. I'd be looking at something in the region of £180k to consider moving from Manc.

I always have a fond feeling when I come back over to see family or to do something in the city but I genuinely wouldn't even consider moving from where I am back to Liverpool. After almost a decade in different places around Manchester I can't see me wanting to shift from the location I am in a hurry. Nice little hub of eating and drinking on my doorstep is one of the major bonuses.

I always have a fond feeling when I come back over to see family or to do something in the city but I genuinely wouldn't even consider moving from where I am back to Liverpool. After almost a decade in different places around Manchester I can't see me wanting to shift from the location I am in a hurry. Nice little hub of eating and drinking on my doorstep is one of the major bonuses.

Fair enough. I obviously can't complain too much seeing as though I've worked here for 20 years and lived here for 15+. Certainly the first 5-10 years I had a blast socially but, and this doesn't apply to everyone of course, you get to an age where the social side of things becomes a relatively minor factor and I find beyond that Manchester is lacking something, substance perhaps? Of course most of my family are in Liverpool so that could be the substance it's lacking for me, but in addition to that Liverpool is without doubt a friendlier place with a happier vibe. And slightly better weather!

Yeah I like Edinburgh too, I wouldn't be shocked that someone wanted to move here though. Depending on where you live obviously.

Apart from the city centre itself, most of the places on the outskirts of the centre ( Kensington, Toxteth, Wavertree, Bootle, Everton ) are not places I'd live. So you're probably looking a bit further out and Aigburth is the closest, by Sefton park as Matty said earlier in the thread is alright and there are loads of pubs and places to eat on Lark lane.

Depends how much your budget is likely to be for a house but in South Liverpool, Woolton and Allerton are probably the two most expensive places and they are nice and Gateacre is nice too. Bowring Park is also a lovely little self enclosed area ( my parents live there ). I live in Aintree Village which is the other end of Liverpool and that's a good area, loads of greenery, right by the motorway, shops and retail park 5 minutes away, two cinemas within ten minutes, and right by the train line into town. Melling is nearby and that's decent too. A bit further out Maghull and Lydiate are nice places.

My mrs wants to move to Aughton soon, by Ormskirk which would officially make me a wool. I'm fighting it.

Rapey knows.

Aigburth/St Michaels/Lark Lane area is sound in its own right and dead handy for Town.

• Upvote 1

I've found some Meat & Potato and also the Steak & Kidney puds. I'd quite happily lose a few fingers to find a regular supply of meat pies though. It makes me sad just thinking about them.

Amen Turdseye.

Tesco do the Steak and Kidney pudding, well a special Guinness edition at the moment.

Still can't find owt else down here. I'm not arsed about meat and potato but would want cheese and onion as well as the mighty meat pie.

I should try iceland or the Asda, but I don't want to risk the static shocks from the polyester besuited 'clients' that inhabit aisles.

The South is like a third world country at times.

I went to 3 supermarkets last week in a place in Scotland (which I love) and thought I'm going to buy frozen  a Hollands meat and potato pie pack. Hah fuck that I'm getting Steak and Kidney (kidley if you are from Bootle). No Fuck it I'll buy a pack of each. About 10 years supply.

Not only did 3 major Supermarket brands not stock Hollands but no other alternative.

In the highlands it appears a pie is a fucking pie no discussion. Buy this one (from the bakers cos we dont sell them)or Fuck Off.

I've cracked it lads. The nearest Asda to me is over half an hour away so we never go there but I've just done an online shop with them. They have Hollands meat pies on the deli counter in packs of two. Two packets (four pies) for £2.50. Not frozen like so they'll want eating straight away but I am up to that challenge. First time I've shopped with Asda for ages and only searched for them on there cos this thread was fresh in my mind, nice one RJ!

Y'all need to find an Asda with a deli counter and fill your boots.

• Upvote 1

I've cracked it lads. The nearest Asda to me is over half an hour away so we never go there but I've just done an online shop with them. They have Hollands meat pies on the deli counter in packs of two. Two packets (four pies) for £2.50. Not frozen like so they'll want eating straight away but I am up to that challenge. First time I've shopped with Asda for ages and only searched for them on there cos this thread was fresh in my mind, nice one RJ!

Y'all need to find an Asda with a deli counter and fill your boots.

Repped