You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dublin

Fowlers God

Idiots of Dublin.

I shall be here until Thursday evening, primarily to take in a Ray LaMontagne gig tomorrow night, but other than that will be mooching about with a lady friend, having a few drinks, perusing local attractions and all that good stuff like the tourist bus wanker I am.

Suggestions for super things to do would be most welcome, and let us know if anyone fancies saying hello to a berk abroad over a pint.

Cheers.

Talk to locals. See if they've learned a fucking thing since 2008. When you realise that they haven't, get drunk in Grogan's before grabbing a kebab in Zaytoon on your way home.

• Upvote 1

Idiots of Dublin.

I shall be here until Thursday evening, primarily to take in a Ray LaMontagne gig tomorrow night, but other than that will be mooching about with a lady friend, having a few drinks, perusing local attractions and all that good stuff like the tourist bus wanker I am.

Suggestions for super things to do would be most welcome, and let us know if anyone fancies saying hello to a berk abroad over a pint.

Cheers.

I think you may have fucked up with your timing. With their love for everything european - kilometres/euros etc..... on thursday they're trying out, with a view to it being permanent later in the summer, driving on the right

More seriously...

Get a day ticket on the Dart. Head north to Howth for fish and chips at Beshoff's by the harbour. Walk up the hill overlooking Dublin Bay. Then head south to Killiney (lovely rail line beyond Dalkey). Stroll along the beach. Or walk up that hill, too, with views over south Dublin/Wicklow. Then grab a pint or two in Finnegan's in nearby Dalkey village.

• Upvote 1

I went to Killiney for a mate's wedding & from what I remember of it, it was really, really nice.

Having said that, I was fucking blootered from the moment I got there to the moment I left.

I went to Killiney for a mate's wedding & from what I remember of it, it was really, really nice.

Having said that, I was fucking blootered from the moment I got there to the moment I left.

Killiney Castle Hotel? Near the hill. There used to be a hotel overlooking the beach, too - the Killiney Court - but that was sold off during a property boom. Likewise the Dalkey Island Hotel, which had great views over the bay.

Bono and assorted other wankers live in the area, by the way. So, beware.

Killiney Castle Hotel? Near the hill. There used to be a hotel overlooking the beach, too - the Killiney Court - but that was sold off during a property boom. Likewise the Dalkey Island Hotel, which had great views over the bay.

Bono and assorted other wankers live in the area, by the way. So, beware.

It was in a big pub near the Druid's Chair. They'd had their proper wedding in Melbourne (she's from there) & this was a secondary reception for his lot & their pals from Edinburgh.

I'm pretty sure I got off the Dart a few stops early by mistake & had to get picked up in some boozer somewhere between Dublin & Killiney, it was an eventful trip that started off with a pub crawl near Croke Park. The Ivy House was a good pub if it's still there.

It was in a big pub near the Druid's Chair. They'd had their proper wedding in Melbourne (she's from there) & this was a secondary reception for his lot & their pals from Edinburgh.

I'm pretty sure I got off the Dart a few stops early by mistake & had to get picked up in some boozer somewhere between Dublin & Killiney, it was an eventful trip that started off with a pub crawl near Croke Park. The Ivy House was a good pub if it's still there.

Ok. Heading towards Ballybrack... Ahem.

Only eat Zaytoon's when you're pissed out of your brain at 4 in the morning.

It's what I do every Saturday.

Ha! I can imagine.

They do a very good veggie kebab, in fairness. Not so much the felafel. Meat-wise, can't comment.

Incidentally, I was kicked out of the Zaytoon on Harcourt Street. While sober. For telling the guy that he gave me the wrong kebab: meat rather than veggie. I told him I'd definitely ordered veggie as I'm a vegetarian. He told me to get out.

No kebab for you!

• Upvote 1

A kebab in Dublin, for this Russo-Croat Australian, is one of life's true cross-cultural pleasures.

As is a battered sausage and a scoop of chips, in winter.

In my pre-veggie days, quarter of a century ago, I loved battered sausage with chips. From Libero's in Deansgrange, ideally.

By the way, if you're a hardcore, old school kebabanista, you go to Iskander on Dame Street.

That's a proper insider tip, there...

• Upvote 1

Idiots of Dublin.

Cheers.

Where are you staying, what kind of food do you like and what kind of beer do you drink, craft or standard piss?

I'll steer you in the right direction

In my pre-veggie days, quarter of a century ago, I loved battered sausage with chips. From Libero's in Deansgrange, ideally.

By the way, if you're a hardcore, old school kebabanista, you go to Iskander on Dame Street.

That's a proper insider tip, there...

I'm as old school as it gets.

After all, Croatia is home of the čevap... directly etymologically descended from the Arabic.

I even prefer eating them when sober, mostly at lunchtime.

• Upvote 1

I'm as old school as it gets.

After all, Croatia is home of the čevap... directly etymologically descended from the Arabic.

I even prefer eating them when sober, mostly at lunchtime.

Last time I was in Croatia (previous time was a childhood visit to Porec in the Yugoslav days), I noticed that the food was great and the portions were massive. Perfect combination of Turkish, Italian, and Austro-Hungarian elements. In Rijeka, at least. I was supposed to work there for a few years, but fate intervened. Anyway, Croats know their grub...

• Upvote 1

Last time I was in Croatia (previous time was a childhood visit to Porec in the Yugoslav days), I noticed that the food was great and the portions were massive. Perfect combination of Turkish, Italian, and Austro-Hungarian elements. In Rijeka, at least. I was supposed to work there for a few years, but fate intervened. Anyway, Croats know their grub...

They do.  

And so did James Joyce.  

Or at least his Adriatic wine, more like.

He taught English in Rijeka in the early 1900s.  You would have been in good historic company.

Where are you staying, what kind of food do you like and what kind of beer do you drink, craft or standard piss?

I'll steer you in the right direction

Cheers mate. Staying near Merrion Row.

Prefer craft beer. Eat anything and everything, particularly like Thai and Italian food but been to both countries plenty, so happy to eat well recommended local fare while here or anything else which is worth a look.

Cheers Josef and others too, much obliged and will try to get as many suggestions in as possible.

You're staying beside O'Donnogue's, then. A musically significant pub. Around the corner from the National Library and National Museum on Kildare Street. And National Gallery and Natural History Museum on Merrion Square. Just up the road from Trinity College, too. And the Little Museum of Dublin, which I really like. So, close to everything.

A laidback place I like for beer, wine, and light meals close by is Probus on the magnificently named Fenian Street...

I’m typing this from D’Olier street right now because that’s where I work. I was also brought up in Howth. Later, I’ll be at home, which is not Howth.

For more great stories like that, visit my website at www.liverpoolway.co.uk/johnnysgreatstories and receive a free keyring.

If you're near Merrion Row, pop down to Keogh's on South William Street, which a side street just off Grafton Street. It's the best pint of Guinness around, most of the interior is from the 19th century and you can drink your pint out on street which is especially nice in the good weather. You will be bothered by homeless people if you take your pint out though.

The Barge is great for summer evening pints if the sun is out, everybody drinks out by the canal and the atmosphere is brilliant. A particular highlight from last year was a man trying, and failing, to walk across a tightrope bollock naked.

For food, Camden Street is a great spot. I would particularly recommend Delahunt, best meal I've ever had. If you feel like following the advice of degenerates like Robbie and Josef, you could always walk 30 meters back up the street and wolf down some dirty, delicious kebabs in Zaytoons.

I’m typing this from D’Olier street right now because that’s where I work. I was also brought up in Howth. Later, I’ll be at home, which is not Howth.

For more great stories like that, visit my website at www.liverpoolway.co.uk/johnnysgreatstories and receive a free keyring.

Not a t-shirt or a fridge magnet?