You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet has good reactions, its one of the things people who dont know anything about goalkeeping notice and think this one looks good, while in fact he is pretty shite but his good reactions saves him from being abysmal.

Making a reaction save is better than consistently conceding goals from the opposition's only attack of the game.

So Mignolet's better shots to saves ratio doesn't count because Sunderland are shit but Reina having more clean sheets is significant? Got to love this place sometimes. Looking forward to the Reina fanatics jumping on Mignolet next season every time he makes the slightest mistake.

Best supporters in the world, etc.

Goalpostmovingtastic. Best just to ignore.

To defend as all they did' date=' did they score more than 11 goals?[/quote']

So Sunderland's defence kept all the clean sheets? In spite of Mignolet?

But Reina did 13 all by himself cause our defence is shite and Rodgers can't set up a defence to save his life? Is that the gist of it?

How many goals did he concede over these last two years and how many clean sheets did he keep?

which one?

And as stated the goals conceded stat doesn't give an accurate reflection due to difference in between teams but last year I think Mignolet only got one less clean sheet in the League than Pepe in a far worse team although both defences also have a part to play in clean sheets, the stats can be misleading but if you look at this from last year it heavily weighs in Mignolet's favour

https://twitter.com/JAM_LFC/status/345899933452365824/photo/1

More important than the stats though it is widely acknowledged Mignolet pretty much kept Sunderland up, Reina for us was a complete liability

So Mignolet's better shots to saves ratio doesn't count because Sunderland are shit but Reina having more clean sheets is significant? Got to love this place sometimes. Looking forward to the Reina fanatics jumping on Mignolet next season every time he makes the slightest mistake.

Best supporters in the world, etc.

No one said it doesn't count but if you don't take into account they're shit then the stat you're trying to justify your argument is pointless!

which one?

And as stated the goals conceded stat doesn't give an accurate reflection due to difference in between teams but last year I think Mignolet only got one less clean sheet in the League than Pepe in a far worse team although both defences also have a part to play in clean sheets' date=' the stats can be misleading but if you look at this from last year it heavily weighs in Mignolet's favour

https://twitter.com/JAM_LFC/status/345899933452365824/photo/1

More important than the stats though it is widely acknowledged Mignolet pretty much kept Sunderland up, Reina for us was a complete liability

Interesting, especially the 'errors' part

Looking forward to watching one of the best young keepers in world football turning out for us next season.

You are completely missing the point.

Mignolet was obviously going to be first choice, but Reina should have been sold.

If we weren't going to sell Reina then a loan deal with a loan fee and the club covering all his wages with a fee agreed for a permanent transfer at the end of it should have been the next option.

Loaning him out for half his wages means that the only money we receive is the money to pay him our half of the wages, despite him not being here!

If he get's a really bad injury, or performs absolutely woefully in Italy, he will come back here and be worth much less than he is now.

Even if he plays really well and gets back to his best, he will still be worth less than he is now due to having less time left on his contact, he will be a year older, and it will be obvious to all clubs that he's not wanted here, therefore won't command a big fee.

The only keeper stats I would give any credibility at all would be how many shots or % of shots a keeper catches as that tells you if he has good positioning or not and positioning is the key to be a good keeper.

• Upvote 1

The only keeper stats I would give any credibility at all would be how many shots or % of shots a keeper catches as that tells you if he has good positioning or not and positioning is the key to be a good keeper.

Let me guess. Reina scores pretty highly on this and Mignolet does not?

How many times have you seen Mingolet play? Personally speaking I rather argue stadium plans with Xeres than watch Sunderland play under Martin O'Neill.

Couldn't even give you a rough number but I do remember when he first signed for Sunderland seeing him on match of the day the first game of that season and thinking "who the hell is he?" and always being fairly impressed by him whenever I saw him in his first two seasons there, then sometime early last season I remember him having a great game and after that I just ended up keeping an eye on him and actually ended up watching a few Sunderland games that I normally wouldn't bother with just to see how he was getting along and aside from a shocking error against West Brom he was nearly always excellent

I was banging the drum for us to sign him on this and another LFC forum well before we were seriously linked

Let me guess. Reina scores pretty highly on this and Mignolet does not?

Good keepers always score high on this, the not so good ones not so high.

I have not checked the numbers but I can imagine Reina and Cech score pretty high compared to a few others.

• Upvote 1

11 clean sheets for a side that battled relegation all season? That's pretty impressive

Maybe but Reina only played 31 games.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

HE LET IN 89 GOALS COMPARED TO REINAS 38.

Thats not outperforming.

I'll remind you we've had a really shite defence under Rogers. Skrtel and Carragher taking it in turns to be shit, full backs who dont look back in anger and a manager determined to bomb Reina out from day one, undermining him by playing wank players like Brad Jones over him at times.

Reina saves:

05/06: 4,27 pr game - 141 saves made

06/07: 4,06 pr game - 142 saves made

07/08: 3,34 pr game - 127 saves made

08/09: 4,18 pr game - 159 saves made

09/10: 4,61 pr game - 175 saves made

10/11: 5,55 pr game - 211 saves made

11/12: 4,00 pr game - 136 saves made

12/13: 4,19 pr game - 130 saves made

• Upvote 1

Anyone else notice when a team comes in for a player we have for sale the negotiations are done extremely quickly? Swansea chairman declared interest in shelvey next day he's there having medical, Napoli come in and enquire and we agree loan deal immediately.

Someone needs to let our people negotiating know they dint have to say yes as soon as bid comes in and they can try ask for more.

Got these numbers off EPL index (I didn't bother to work out the percentage) Reina vs Mignolet | How good is Mignolet? | Stats Comparison

High cross catches

Reina 31

Mignolet 47

Missed crosses

Reina 10

Mignolet 3

Punches (not sure if this makes a difference)

Reina 17

Mignolet 39

Reina beats Mignolet on other goalkeeping stats, but you can look those up. I would still much rather have Pepe than loan him out though.

So...

Reina's form is poor for at least a season and a half.

He openly flirts with Barca for months on end via his dad/agent/whoever else.

His form improves when it looks like they are going to make a move for him.

He flirts with them some more.

Valdes decides to stay and Barca decide they aren't going to move for him until next summer.

He comes out and says that he wants to stay here.

We decide that we can probably do better than a 'keeper with dubious commitment who is only playing out time until he gets his dream move, and we sign Mignolet.

Everyone involved realises that it's going to be best for Reina to move.

The player only wants Barca and there are no other offers, so he goes on loan to Napoli, alleviating our wage bill and allowing him playing time in a World Cup year.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Absolutely spot on. Enough silly goals conceded cost us massively the season before last. He also lost control of organizing his defence - the reason Carra had such an impact.No coincidence that Reinas form improved at the same time - better defensive co-ordination.

You'll be in a massive minority there.

Being in the majority is not necessarily the same as being right.Check out some of the dickheads in parliament with large majorities.

Maybe but Reina only played 31 games.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

HE LET IN 89 GOALS COMPARED TO REINAS 38.

Thats not outperforming.

I'll remind you we've had a really shite defence under Rogers. Skrtel and Carragher taking it in turns to be shit, full backs who dont look back in anger and a manager determined to bomb Reina out from day one, undermining him by playing wank players like Brad Jones over him at times.

I remember Jones definitely had to play because that rat Rafael ran into Reina and he was out injured for a while after that Utd away match. Jones was also selected for the cup matches.

I think the defence conceded something like 4 more goals last season than in the 11/12 season.

Would rather we kept Reina and never signed Mignolet, however its not exactly swapping Suarez for Jelavic. In a perfect world Reina should have been sold, but it appears he's waiting for Barca so a loan was probably the best the club could manage. We could have waited until he leaves next year but that would risk us having to scramble for a replacement and there is no guarantee a quality one would be available. Its a shitty situation all around but ultimately may be driven by Reina's desire to leave which may have more to do with his Barca dream than FSG's plans.

Guys just calm down/get over it. LFC identified Mignolet as Reina's replacement. Reina's dream move to Barcelona is on hold for a year, so we were stuck holding the bag.

Napoli offered a loan. We accepted. I'd imagine that they're paying a fair wedge of Reina's wages (unlikely all of it) so it saves us that big that they are paying.

We'll get the fee for Reina next summer.

Mignolet was always going to be our starting goalkeeper next season, as soon as he was signed. Most of us said so when we signed him. GET OVER IT

Guys just calm down/get over it. LFC identified Mignolet as Reina's replacement. Reina's dream move to Barcelona is on hold for a year, so we were stuck holding the bag.

Napoli offered a loan. We accepted. I'd imagine that they're paying a fair wedge of Reina's wages (unlikely all of it) so it saves us that big that they are paying.

We'll get the fee for Reina next summer.

Mignolet was always going to be our starting goalkeeper next season, as soon as he was signed. Most of us said so when we signed him. GET OVER IT

So, this definitely doesn't stink of complete incompetence?

"Big" clubs often loan out their best, highest-paid players, right? Especially to clubs that are rolling in cash?

It's quite easy to take all personal feeling aside and see their is no benefit from this for us, he should go permanent or not at all, no other club does mad shit like this, honestly, this will come back to haunt Rodgers, what part he's played in this decision obviously, I don't know but he must be comfortable with it.