You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

As I say I don't want to shit on him too much because I don't think he has been helped, I think he was incredibly lucky to land the job while Suarez hit the form of his life (and it's laughable people attribute that to Rodgers), his first season was pretty shite as is his 3rd, we seem to lurch all over the place with formations, tactics and players until he stumbles onto something that works.

He just seems naive to me and we have no clear plan every season, I mean are we going to be able to buy players to suit a formation this summer or will we switch again mid season and end up playing people we've bought all over the shop?

At times it looks like progressive and being flexible but mostly poor planning. Everyone with a brain in there head could see there was a good chance Sturridge would be out a while so the plan was to play Mario up top on his own then perceiver with it when clearly failing? Was that a Fuck You to the owners or poor planning?

The team/squad/staff are soon to be ripped of anything resembling top level experience for the most part and he has a hand in that aswell

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, especially regarding poor planning, but I don't attribute it solely to Rodgers.

It seems harsh to say he wasn't responsible for the highs of last season yet it's his fault it has all gone wrong this season.  

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, especially regarding poor planning, but I don't attribute it solely to Rodgers.

It seems harsh to say he wasn't responsible for the highs of last season yet it's his fault it has all gone wrong this season.

I didn't say he was in no way responsible in the same way any manager with world class talent at their disposal is responsible but it's easier to take credit when things are going so well largely due to inheriting a top class player in their prime, it'd be totally different if he'd been responsible for bringing him here.

And the reason Ive give him shit this year despite Suarez leaving is simple, he was charged with replacing him or at least trying, so we buy 2 players who are misused and abused and probably shouldn't have arrived at all.

Nothing that can't be fixed with a couple of decent centre forwards.

Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal are stronger. We are in Europe. Our Suarez binge has left us with a hangover. Suarez and Gerrard are no more, Sterling is semi detached. Sturridge has only ever played one full season in his career and cannot be relied upon for next season.

Brendan has never had buy and assemble a team. That's a bit more than buying a couple of decent centre forwards when our last go was Lambert and Balotelli.

This hinges on whether you believe that what enabled him to succeed last season equips him for the challenges he faces now.

I didn't say he was in no way responsible in the same way any manager with world class talent at their disposal is responsible but it's easier to take credit when things are going so well largely due to inheriting a top class player in their prime, it'd be totally different if he'd been responsible for bringing him here.

And the reason Ive give him shit this year despite Suarez leaving is simple, he was charged with replacing him or at least trying, so we buy 2 players who are misused and abused and probably shouldn't have arrived at all.

Again I don't see the responsibility of replacing Suarez as solely down to Rodgers.  It's pretty obvious he didn't want Balotelli but look who we ended up with.  

Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal are stronger. We are in Europe. Our Suarez binge has left us with a hangover. Suarez and Gerrard are no more, Sterling is semi detached. Sturridge has only ever played one full season in his career and cannot be relied upon for next season.

Brendan has never had buy and assemble a team. That's a bit more than buying a couple of decent centre forwards when our last go was Lambert and Balotelli.

We have a decent team with no cutting edge.  Seems pretty obvious to me what needs rectifying.  You don't need a new manager to do that.  

Even though Rodgers has made the strikers impotent the lack of goals from our attacking mids in the league is also a problem.

Lallana 4

Coutinho 5

Markovic 2

Although I have sympathy for Markovic as he has been poorly managed.

Sterling has 7 but a fair whack have been up top.

You really want two of the above getting double figures when you know by about Oct you will be lacking goals from your strikers.

Henderson is prob the only player who has overachieved goalswise.

The problem is creativity not just putting the ball in the onion bag.

You are right to praise Brendan for his management of last season.

However any assumption that his success last season certifies him to tackle the challenges which now face the club is brave.

An assumption that this season or last summer means he can't handle the challenge which is getting us top four is naive seeing as we have been in that kind of form most of the time he has been here.

I can't think of many managers that have a proven record which suggests they would definitely achieve the targets here, seeing as Rodgers looks like he can and has done it here working with all the constraints he is the right man .

Talking of Klopp,strong words from Steve McMahon

If Liverpool are to get back to where they belong in English football, they need to be ruthless. That's why they must go all out to bring in Jurgen Klopp as manager next season.

The club's owners need to weigh up all options and judge exactly who the best available candidate for the job is. Klopp has proven what he can do with his remarkable record at Borussia Dortmund over the past seven years.

Now that he's announced that he's leaving at the end of the current campaign, this presents a great opportunity for Liverpool to recruit one of the best managers in world football.

For Brendan Rodgers, this may seem harsh -- even disrespectful -- given all the hard work that he's put in at Anfield. If Klopp isn't available or interested, then it would make sense to give Rodgers more time.

But I believe that one-time assistant to Jose Mourinho at Chelsea is probably a better coach than he is a manager.

The Ulsterman is superb when he is on the training pitch, putting on creative and inspiring sessions for players. But he's shown this season that he may not be as adept when it comes to his man management skills and the recruitment of players. Remember that he's spent well over 100 million pounds since the departure of Luis Suarez last summer.

Emre Can and Lazar Markovic have been decent signings, but many of the others have performed below expectations.

Mario Balotelli, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert have been among those who have been disappointing. They say that Merseyside-born Lambert cost only four million pounds, but a return of just two league goals in 22 matches for a seasoned striker simply isn't good enough at any price.

And as for Balotelli, he's been a complete disaster with only one league goal in 15 matches at a cost of 16 million pounds. Rodgers hasn't been able to bring out the best in the moody yet sometimes brilliant Italian who's been unable to carry the load with Daniel Sturridge missing for large chunks of the season.

When Mourinho, Louis van Gaal and Arsene Wenger walk into the dressing room, there is no question about who is boss. While Rodgers deservedly earns respect, he simply doesn't have the same aura that is needed when you are managing a big club and ensuring that it is successful.

Rodgers certainly has lots to offer as an assistant or in a training ground role at Liverpool, but it would be hard to see him staying on should someone like Klopp arrive as head coach.

Tactically, Rodgers has had his good moments. He deserves praise for having the flexibility to change from a back four -- to five at the back -- which coincided with Liverpool going on a good run midway through the season.

But he's also made mistakes. The turning point for me was the shock FA Cup semifinal defeat when Rodgers got his tactics wrong from the start, expecting Aston Villa to sit back rather than press, which they did so effectively. During the game, Rodgers then changed things around tactically too many times -- Can ended up playing in at least three different positions -- leaving the players confused about their roles and not able to perform at their best.

People will point towards Rodgers' outstanding 2013-2014 season in which they finished a whisker away from the title behind Manchester City. But the reality is that he's the first Liverpool manager in memory who's failed to win a trophy after three seasons in charge, despite playing some wonderful football at times.

There is no doubt that Klopp, given the chance, would bring silverware to Merseyside. He's proven that in the Bundesliga, even getting the better of the mighty Bayern Munich on occasions.

Liverpool's supporters all around the world, including those in my base of Malaysia where Liverpool will play a pre-season match in July, are hungry for the trophies that sustainable success would bring.

So let's not beat around the bush about this. Klopp and Liverpool could be a match made in heaven.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2436541/why-jurgen-klopp-and-liverpool-are-a-match-made-in-heaven

When Rodgers took over we were the 8th best team in England and Dortmund were the best team in Germany. Since then Dortmund haven't won a trophy, they haven't come within a million miles of challenging for the title and they're currently 9th in an 18 team league, 10 points above the relegation zone and almost 40 off first. I wish I could share McMahon's confidence that he'd come in and perform miracles here because I'd quite happily pack Rodgers' bags myself but sadly I think the likelihood is we'd be labelling him an inept cunt within a year or 2 also.

• Upvote 2

Steve McMahon the guy who was calling our manager Rafael Beneathus while we were winning the champions league.

He and Nicol are two players I've never seen play but judging them as a pundit they don't know much about football and still seem to think lfc should be winning the league every year with anything else being a failure.

• Downvote 1

Steve McMahon the guy who was calling our manager Rafael Beneathus while we were winning the champions league.

He and Nicol are two players I've never seen play but judging them as a pundit they don't know much about football and still seem to think lfc should be winning the league every year with anything else being a failure.

Never seen them play?

Not even on video?

Watching Mascherano and Alonso last night reminded me again why this clown they call Rodgers needs to be shipped out of my club NOW.

Yeah that's some solid logic.

Not like the manager you want back sold the latter...

When Rodgers took over we were the 8th best team in England and Dortmund were the best team in Germany. Since then Dortmund haven't won a trophy, they haven't come within a million miles of challenging for the title and they're currently 9th in an 18 team league, 10 points above the relegation zone and almost 40 off first. I wish I could share McMahon's confidence that he'd come in and perform miracles here because I'd quite happily pack Rodgers' bags myself but sadly I think the likelihood is we'd be labelling him an inept cunt within a year or 2 also.

When Rodgers took over we were ranked 11th best in Europe by UEFA coefficients, Dortmund were 66th. We're now 42nd and Dortmund are 12th.