You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Squad Strengthening - FSG Style

HJohal

As we are aware FSG are big believers in value for money - this should be a good thing and does not imply in any way that FSG do not support making big signings on big wages if the circumstances are right

With Carragher's retirement at the end of the season it does allow Rodgers the opportunity to make improvements with a limited increase in the overall wage bill which further highlights the large amount of waste in play in previous years.

Looking at approx wages of the following players which have been performing below what should be expected.

Reina 100k p.w

Carragher 90k p.w (retired)

Downing 70k p.w

Carroll 70k p.w

Spearing 30k p.w

Assisidi 21k p.w

Wilson 15k p.w

Pacheco 7k p.w

Total 403K p.w

If Liverpool invested in six new players to strengthen the squad perhaps in the following positions -

Goalkeeper

Left Back

Centre Back

Defensive Midfielder

Attacking Wide Player

Forward

This allows an average wage of 67k p.w per position without any impact on the current overall wage bill. This should create a competitive squad which should be able to challenge for a minimum of a Champions League spot and possibly a serious title shot.

Goalkeeper I'd go for Begovic, but reckon Stoke would demand a mental fee. Fraser Forster looked decent last time I saw him, but I'd rather someone with PL experience.

I reckon Coates and Skrtel will leave too, so make that 2 centre backs. Perhaps we'll buy two quality ones, with hunger and they'll fight it out for a starting spot alongside Agger. No idea who I'd go for, not watched enough non-PL football lately to form an opinion. The Dutch league seems to produce some quality, reasonably priced defenders though.

I personally wouldn't bother buying a LB. Enrique is boss, Johnson is very good there, Agger can fill in if absolutely needed and I think Robinson has potential.

If Diame is still available for peanuts, go for him. I don't think we need a DM to start, we just need a unit we can bring on/start when up against some cloggers and need to take a more physical approach. I'm sure we can find one cheap somewhere.

Attacking wise there's a whole host of names we should be looking at. It might sound like madness after the guy hasn't even had a season in England yet, but Michu looks a real player. If he could continue producing at the level he has, I reckon him, Sturridge and Suarez would be an excellent trio. I'd have Michu behind the two making runs into the box with Suarez dropping back if needed. He'd probably cost something mental and there would be better options available I think, but if he was on the market for 10 million, I'd snap him up. He's looked impressive whenever I've seen him.

Damiao would be another, but a move to Yurop with the World Cup coming up might be risky for him. If it didn't work out, he could find himself out the team and I'm sure for any Brazilian still playing, missing out on the WC in your own country would be absolutely devastating.

So in conclusion, other than Begovic, I dunno who we should buy. Hopefully our manager has a few ideas and we don't end up with turnips. This will be a massive summer. We finally have a chance to rid the squad of 95% of the rubbish and assemble a great team.

Goalkeeper I'd go for Begovic

Ter Stegen of Monchengladbach.

He was amazing against Bayern a few weeks back.

Can't say his dominance of the box and distribution is as good as Pepe's, as I don't know, but his shot stopping in that match was something else.

Reports were that they were looking at replacements, as they are resigned to losing him.

Ter Stegen of Monchengladbach.

He was amazing against Bayern a few weeks back.

Can't say his dominance of the box and distribution is as good as Pepe's, as I don't know, but his shot stopping in that match was something else.

Reports were that they were looking at replacements, as they are resigned to losing him.

I've heard his name thrown around for awhile now, seems like he has the potential to become a top, top player, but I imagine he'd cost a bomb ala de Gea and might suffer with the added pressure that comes with playing for a big team (de Gea again)

No doubt they'll both become fantastic players, but if we're talking 12+ million for young keeper, I'd rather we looked elsewhere, especially if we're hoping to finish top 4.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Looking at approx wages of the following players which have been performing below what should be expected.

Reina 100k p.w

Carragher 90k p.w (retired)

Downing 70k p.w

Carroll 70k p.w

Spearing 30k p.w

Assisidi 21k p.w

Wilson 15k p.w

Pacheco 7k p.w

Total 403K p.w

If Liverpool invested in six new players to strengthen the squad perhaps in the following positions -

Goalkeeper

Left Back

Centre Back

Defensive Midfielder

Attacking Wide Player

Forward

Considering only two of those players play regularly, and both of them performing questionably, I'd say getting rid and replacing with four or five players - three quality first team additions and another two young players with lots of potential - would be a very good move. It'd improve the strength of our squad, both in terms of depth and quality.

This is exactly the right way to be going about things from FSG, in my opinion. They've done it fairly well so far, but there's more work to do.

I always had a good eye to Kasper Schmeichel, and think he is underrated, but i dont think we need a new keeper, unless we get a very good offer on Reina.

We need some commanding centre backs, who can push Skrtel and Agger to a higher level, and maybe even take one of their places, like Carragher has done recently.

I don't think we need more central mids, unless we get rid of Shelvey or Allen. We already have those 2 on the bench, and a decent looking triangle in the middle of the park in Henderson, Gerrard, and Lucas. I wouldn't say no to Xabi Alonso returning though.

I think we need a left footed wing instead of Downing, and a top top class attacking midfielder, who can create and score goals.

Ideally we get rid of a shitload of our bench because it clearly isnt good enough and get star quality players instead of, but as i know that won't happen i will be satisfied with the above.

Liverpool “leading the race” for Ajax star Eriksen

By This Is Anfield on February 10, 2013

Liverpool “appear to be leading the race” for Ajax attacking midfielder Christian Eriksen, according to ESPN.

Eriksen, 21 later this month, has declined to sign a new deal with the Dutch giants and is expected to leave this summer, rather than when his contract expires in 2014.

According to Ajax Fanzone, Liverpool have already held talks with Amsterdam side.

Eriksen has been linked with Liverpool on numerous occasions and is known to have been scouted extensively by The Reds. Some see him as being a long-term replacement for Steven Gerrard in midfield.

Liverpool “leading the race” for Ajax star Eriksen | This Is Anfield