You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PestiRed

Your prediction?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Your prediction?

• Best idea since John asked Paul if he fancied jamming together
    • Worst idea since Ringo went solo
    • I am completely clueless and hate both of these bands

Could be unbelievably good or incredibly shit. Your predictions?

The Stone Roses is back – only this time it's by the Flaming Lips | Music | guardian.co.uk

The Flaming Lips are going to Madchester. After leading covers-album projects for Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon and King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King, the band's next tribute will be a version of the Stone Roses' 1989 debut.

Even with less than two months before the release of their 13th studio album, The Terror, the Flaming Lips don't seem willing to sit back and take a day off. According to the reliable fansite Future Heart, Oklahoma's busiest acid-trippers have begun working with other bands on the next volume of their covers series, recording a track-by-track redo of the Stone Roses masterpiece. While it's unclear how much the full Flaming Lips will be involved on the record, Wayne Coyne is heading the project with fwends such as Depth & Current, Def Rain and Stardeath and White Dwarfs.

"Doin vocals for She Bangs the Drum hopin to get Channy [Leaneagh] of Poliça to sing on it too!!!!" Coyne tweeted last week. There have also been allusions to songs such as I Am the Resurrection, Waterfall, Bye Bye Badman and I Wanna Be Adored, with team-ups with artists including Dallas's New Fumes and the LA collective HOTT MT.

When will the psychedelic reboot be put out? No one knows. The Flaming Lips already have a jam-packed release schedule: there's The Terror due 1 April, a reissue of Zaireeka for 20 April's Record Store Day and, later this month, a compilation for Valentine's Day. Songs of Love comes packaged on a USB stick, buried inside an anatomically correct chocolate heart.

I like the idea. But I don't like guest singers. Coyne should do it all himself.

Watching the Stone Roses in two weeks' time.

Saw them many times before they released the album, and final time at Spike Island, so I'm nervous and in two minds.

I like the idea. But I don't like guest singers. Coyne should do it all himself.

Watching the Stone Roses in two weeks' time.

Saw them many times before they released the album, and final time at Spike Island, so I'm nervous and in two minds.

Don't be. They were amazing at heaton park.

It will be interesting to see what Coyne comes up with to make it their own. Heard little snippets of Dark Side and Court f the Crimson King covers and in my opinion it was pretty good. However would like to listen to the whole lot.

I also still think Second Coming is The Stone Roses best album.

It will be interesting to see what Coyne comes up with to make it their own. Heard little snippets of Dark Side and Court f the Crimson King covers and in my opinion it was pretty good. However would like to listen to the whole lot.

Well stop thinking that. The first is a masterpiece. The 2nd is a mess of overproduced nonsense.

As fr the Flaming Lips, they should release less. This is going to be a car crash.

Really? I know others who think the same though so you're not alone.

I like the opening track full on guitar ramble but after that it's just a bit, well, wankish.

Well stop thinking that. The first is a masterpiece. The 2nd is a mess of overproduced nonsense.

As fr the Flaming Lips, they should release less. This is going to be a car crash.

I can't help but feel the first is a tad slightly over rated. Just too 'jangly' a sound for me. Some boss tunes on though.

"Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, She Bangs the Drums and Waterfall are the best tunes on that album.

Even Squire and the rest of the band think the sound on that album was a bit weak.

Really? I know others who think the same though so you're not alone.

I like the opening track full on guitar ramble but after that it's just a bit, well, wankish.

It's a boss album and moves totally away from the shoe gazing acid rave style music they were pioneers of and is very different and riff orientated.

Breaking into Heaven, Begging You, Tightrope, Good Times, Tears and Love Spreads are all belters.

Open your ears gentleman an album needs some fat in it.

I can't help but feel the first is a tad slightly over rated. Just too 'jangly' a sound for me. Some boss tunes on though.

"Fools Gold, I Wanna Be Adored, She Bangs the Drums and Waterfall are the best tunes on that album.

Even Squire and the rest of the band think the sound on that album was a bit weak.

But jangly was the indiepop 'C86' sound of the last 80's. A beautiful light, tinny sound. Bands like the Wedding Present, those on Sarah records and Subway perfected it early on then the Roses came in 11 tracks of greatness. Drums, This is the One and Resurrection are my favourites but this was the first 12" Roses track I bought when it was released so it gets linked.

M0whFVTxZs8

Bah, back to work.

*nods* skidders.

It's a boss album and moves totally away from the shoe gazing acid rave style music they were pioneers of and is very different and riff orientated.

Breaking into Heaven, Begging You, Tightrope, Good Times, Tears and Love Spreads are all belters.

This, with the added mention of Driving South, IMO the most underrated song they ever did. Some of John Squire's guitar work on this album is the closest you can get to sex in musical form. Anybody who calls it "messy" and "overindulgent" needs their ears checked out and it's his contribution in these songs that make him one of the best in the world for me.

Fools Gold wasn't on the album?

Just as a reference point, Skidders before I go and search out this album which I have always regarded as terrible (aside from Begging You), what rating would you give "Velvet Underground and Nico" and were New Order better than The Cure?

Your answers might just save me a load of time (it could be on one of my racks, but I think it might even be in a box!).

PS Thants knows. I was listening to my Beechwood compilations the other day - I've got them all - and I love the early stuff.

Perhaps it's too simplistic to suggest that The Stone Roses is just about the perfect pop album, whereas Second Coming is distinctly a rock record.

A fucking great rock record too.

No, it's not (too simplistic). The first album was a revolution within it's time, combining the exactly right elements of pop and indie to re-invent the shit that 80's pop music was becoming into something respectable whilst re-introducing a 60's psychedelic sensibility. The Stone Roses were 5 years ahead of where Oasis would find themselves in trying a modern take on the 60's. Similarly, the second album is a take on the best late 60's/early 70's music that it would take many other bands years to catch up with

Agreed.

Once again, Skids knows.