You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rico1304

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to divert from rico's moment in the sun (he's not here just now) but what went through your head when you saw rico's post last night?

Was it your choice to find out the baby's sex beforehand?

I saw the thread this morning, Cath, and what went through my mind was "I'll just nip into this thread to say congratulations before hurrying over to the MF to see if I won the fridge magnet"

And yeah, it was my choice to find out the sex. I'd rather know so we can buy things accordingly.

I was fooled into thinking my boy kept waking in the night because he was hungry and ran me a merry dance til he was nearly a year old and I was forced to do the 'tough love' routine (worked a treat, I have to say) to protect my own sanity. Missy slept all through the night from 6 weeks! As they say in these parts, take no snash from them....and everyone's a winner!

I saw the thread this morning, Cath, and what went through my mind was "I'll just nip into this thread to say congratulations before hurrying over to the MF to see if I won the fridge magnet"

And yeah, it was my choice to find out the sex. I'd rather know so we can buy things accordingly.

And the rest....:whistle:

What on earth are you insinuating?

I just thought you might have thought, this'll be my turn soon and all the different emotions that might have gone through your head/whole body.....horror/fear/excitement

Too girly?

Sorry, rico *backs my way out of the thread...again*

She's just over 18 weeks gone. Loads of time left! We find out the sex on the 24th of this month. I'll be listening keenly to anything Rico has got to say over the next few months.

A few days in an its both the biggest shock and best thing I've ever experienced. I've got to say the missus has been fantastic, a major operation, a new baby, breastfeeding and all the other changes to her body and she's coped amazingly. I'd have cracked up.

One thing I've noticed is that everyone has tips, but we've tried to listen mostly to the professionals. The logic being that whilst helpful our friends/family etc usually have a sample size of 1 or 2 whilst the midwives have looked after thousands of babies. Take yesterday as an example, Izzy had been a bit reluctant to go to her moses basket after feeding and wanted to be held all the time. The midwife advised putting a hot water bottle in the basket so she's toasty when she goes in, and not shocked by the change in temp. Worked a treat and she's happy to go in there now. Dead simple, effective but I wouldn't have thought of it. Also swaddling has helped, but I think that's somethings that's down to individuals.

A few days in an its both the biggest shock and best thing I've ever experienced. I've got to say the missus has been fantastic, a major operation, a new baby, breastfeeding and all the other changes to her body and she's coped amazingly. I'd have cracked up.

One thing I've noticed is that everyone has tips, but we've tried to listen mostly to the professionals. The logic being that whilst helpful our friends/family etc usually have a sample size of 1 or 2 whilst the midwives have looked after thousands of babies. Take yesterday as an example, Izzy had been a bit reluctant to go to her moses basket after feeding and wanted to be held all the time. The midwife advised putting a hot water bottle in the basket so she's toasty when she goes in, and not shocked by the change in temp. Worked a treat and she's happy to go in there now. Dead simple, effective but I wouldn't have thought of it. Also swaddling has helped, but I think that's somethings that's down to individuals.

With a pinch of salt, they're only allowed to say whats in the text books and recomended by years of research that also changes, they're also only there for the first couple of weeks. You also can't be doing with a hot water bottle every time you want to put her in the basket? (I was a lazy mother, clearly) Do what feels right for you and your missus, if it goes against what the midwife/H.V/inlaws/friend says - as long as no one is in and danger and it means you get some sleep follow your gut. Sleep is the most luxurious thing you could wish for over the next few errrr years.

Massive congratulations to you both, it's the hardest thing you will ever do. Babies 2,3,4 and 5 are a walk in the park compared to this one. x

Turdy, don't find out the sex, there are very few real surprises you will ever have as an adult, enjoy the moment to the fullest - find out at delivery. I've done both ways, knowing she was a girl before she was born meant the birth had a tint of an anticlimax. I declined to find out with the next child and have to say, it was a much more anticipated delivery.

I see you are abbreviating her name already!

And here's some more advice, beyond the fundamentals there isnt that much science when it comes to looking after babies and loads of the advice just goes round in cycles, so depending on the age of the giver of the advice you will get told certain things.

Going back to small sample sizes I've only had personal dealings with a couple of midwives and have to say my impression wasnt all that great, sometimes getting different advice from the same person from visit to visit.

In my experience a lot of it will come down to what feels right to you...and never say never, ie if something hasnt worked be open to giving something else a try even if you are sceptical

Edit. I see melons was posting as I was writing my reply. Curiously, our advice seems remarkably consistent!

Guest davelfc

I've said the same thing to my daughter who is due in June, although obviously the choice is hers and her husbands.

She had a little scare over the weekend but all appears fine and little Spud (or spuds) should begin draining her grandfathers pocket right on schedule.