You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official 2013 Ashes Thread

A_S

Finn has well and truly paid for some of the slop he bowled in the first test although it has to be remembered that he was on a hat-trick at one point. Feel for him a bit tbh.

Finn annoys the fuck outta me. He has all the attributes to be an incredible fast bowler bar intelligence it seems.

He's paying a high price but he can have no complaints this time compared to 09.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't ever shut up all of his critics simply because of the way he plays the game.

There's no way he'll not hit form and score at least one big hundred against this dog shit Aussie side if selected in all 5 tests though.

Yep, and that'll be enough to keep up his ridiculous reputation, amongst some, as one of the best batsman in the world for another year.

ICC rankings have probably got it about right. 4th for England, soon to be 5th when Root goes past him.

Rather bring through some more young players whilst we're in a position of strength.

Yep, and that'll be enough to keep up his ridiculous reputation, amongst some, as one of the best batsman in the world for another year.

ICC rankings have probably got it about right. 4th for England, soon to be 5th when Root goes past him.

Rather bring through some more young players whilst we're in a position of strength.

I'm far from kev's biggest fan mate, my point was more that Rob did have some merit to the point he was making.

Kev will make a century and will nuckle down and concentrate to prove a point to his critics. What fucks me off is that he won't just reign himself in a tiny bit for the rest of his innings, if he did he'd be an even better batsman.

He reminds me a lot of Ronnie O'Sullivan like that.

He won't ever shut up all of his critics simply because of the way he plays the game.

There's no way he'll not hit form and score at least one big hundred against this dog shit Aussie side if selected in all 5 tests though.

He'll shut them up for a while. Didnt see the calls for him to be dropped when he was scoring loads of runs in India. Then he has a couple of bad tests after a serious operation and he should be dropped? Not having that.

I think he's second behind Cook as Englands most centurion. Which is some record yet the way some go on he's a Mark Ramprakash type player who cant score to save his life.

I'm far from kev's biggest fan mate, my point was more that Rob did have some merit to the point he was making.

Kev will make a century and will nuckle down and concentrate to prove a point to his critics. What fucks me off is that he won't just reign himself in a tiny bit for the rest of his innings, if he did he'd be an even better batsman.

He reminds me a lot of Ronnie O'Sullivan like that.

He should knuckle down and concentrate in every fucking game he plays. He plays with zero responsibility. Plenty of other batsman are attacking, but they give a fuck as well.

Difficult to compare with O'Sullivan. Snooker isn't a team game, he can be as arrogant and self-centred as he wants.

I can't wait until Pietersen is out of the team permanently. Massively overrated, and a total fucking cunt to boot.

He'll shut them up for a while. Didnt see the calls for him to be dropped when he was scoring loads of runs in India. Then he has a couple of bad tests after a serious operation and he should be dropped? Not having that.

I think he's second behind Cook as Englands most centurion. Which is some record yet the way some go on he's a Mark Ramprakash type player who cant score to save his life.

Who has?

It isn't the lack of runs Rob, it's the way he tosses his wicket away that pisses people off and rightly so.

Difficult to compare with O'Sullivan. Snooker isn't a team game, he can be as arrogant and self-centred as he wants.

I meant both are extremely talented dicks and both are actually better than they think they are when they reign it in just a touch and apply themselves a tiny bit more.

Those calling for him to be dropped. You dont drop someone who scores the runs he does, no matter how much of a cunt he may be.

No-one has said he's a poor player. I didn't compare him to Ramprakash, or anyone similar.

You can drop someone that scores the runs he does, if you feel that his attitude is to the detriment of the side. But what is also important is how he scores his runs. Is he consistent? Does he play enough match winning innings? Does he adapt his game enough to suit the the situation and needs of the England team?

Not for me.

It isn't the lack of runs Rob, it's the way he tosses his wicket away that pisses people off and rightly so.

Yeah, partly that. He doesn't show enough responsibility. In his defence, he doesn't need to. He doesn't get dropped, so he knows he can do what the fuck he wants. The odd big innings in most series' and the dynamic will never change.

I meant both are extremely talented dicks and both are actually better than they think they are when they reign it in just a touch and apply themselves a tiny bit more.

Oh yeah, I get that. I don't particularly like O'Sullivan either.

There's no chance I'd be dropping Pietersen from my team when we've still got Bairstow still there - he'd be the first one out. Also' date=' dropping Pietersen heightens the chance of Bopara entering the squad and nobody wants that.[/quote']

Nobody.

It will be the same team that won so well at Lords unless KP is injured and then Taylor will play, and I've no problem with that at all. It makes sense to have Monty in the squad as Old Trafford is his favourite test venue, but I think we have enough in the spin department with Swann and Root, who looked a more than useful back up at Lords.

Weather forecast looking good for Friday on the BBC earlier today, bring it on.

I reckon Tremlett is in the squad to ease him back into the fold before taking him down under. Can't see how he could play at OT ahead of Bres, but I am often spectacularly wrong when it comes to england team selection so who knows!

Yep, agree with that, they'll want Tremlett in Aus for the bouncier wickets, he bowled very well over there last time, as did Bresnan. Broad may be in danger of losing his place to Tremlett in Australia, he seems to perform at his best in England and doesn't really travel that well. Apparently Straker loves Tremlett, I reckon they want a closer look at him to see if he's over his injury, hence the call up to the squad for this test, plus Finn needs to go back to county cricket and get some playing time and try and get some form back.

Finn's a lovely lad with all the physical attributes, but non of the mental ones. And as Lifey says, Cook clearly doesn't trust him.

I'd keep the attack the same for OT, Root can fill in as the second spinner more than adequately.