You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Darren Bent was signed for £24m, he's an England international on massive wages. If he comes here he'll be playing regularly or he won't come.

Fingers crossed it's the last part of your sentence in the hope that we're over this obsession of signing England internationals on big wages.

Who could we get who would be better than Bent to back up Suarez for the 3-5 million we'd get for Downing (after we paid off a chunk of his wages)?

I'm not a huge fan of Darren Bent, I'll admit, but Downing rarely plays anyway and if we can somehow swap him for a decent finisher to give Suarez a rest in Cup games and the like, I wouldn't be hugely opposed. A wide forward who can score goals is a much bigger priority, but assuming that we would be looking to bring in someone like that anyway, I think the idea of Bent as another addition isn't the worst in the world.

Bent is probably on more than Downing and would only be happy if he was playing regularly. Which he wouldnt be here.

Also, Bent is only a decent finisher for clubs with hardly any ambition. He was shite at Spurs. And he's been shite for most of the time he's been at Villa too.

You'd think that after the Dempsey debacle, there'll be far less inclination on the owners part to go with a Huntelaar type signing, ie older (little if any increase in value) and on better wages than a young'un.

Agree with it or not, but I'd imagine they'll be under-25 types. Nice to see Werner come out and directly state that Luis isn't being sold, as well as mentioning strengthening in January. You don't make statements that straightforward and then go directly against it (.....do you?)

You'd think that after the Dempsey debacle, there'll be far less inclination on the owners part to go with a Huntelaar type signing, ie older (little if any increase in value) and on better wages than a young'un.

Agree with it or not, but I'd imagine they'll be under-25 types. Nice to see Werner come out and directly state that Luis isn't being sold, as well as mentioning strengthening in January. You don't make statements that straightforward and then go directly against it (.....do you?)

Didn't he also sat that we can financially compete with any team in the world aswell?

I wouldn't put much stock in him.

Swapping Downing for Bent is just kicking the can down the road. 18 months from now or most likely even sooner, we will be trying to flog Bent to anyone that will take him. I'd rather gamble on Morgan or Sinclair than waste more money on another proven donkey.

Didn't he also sat that we can financially compete with any team in the world aswell?

I wouldn't put much stock in him.

Saying they can and saying they will are two very different things though. Unless the plan is to back up words with actions, direct quotes such as the ones he made can bite you very quickly.

Good point about doing it at the beginning of January instead of deadline fucking day. Away to the mancs and Arsenal that month, without even counting the likelihood of FA Cup fixtures as well. So say there is one replay in that time. That would make it 7 fixtures before deadline day if players are bought in at the start of the month.

Huge difference.

add Sturridge and Walcott on jan 1... and if we are within three games of 4th, I reckon we will finish there.

I agree. Both got bags of pace to open the game for Suarez and Gerrard to burst into the box. Both can pop up with goals as well.

I have always wanted a poacher but I dont think an out an out forward fits into Rodgers system.

With Sterling and you can say Borini as well there will be plenty of young lads but with international experience.

I would deffo have Sturridge and Walcott.

Your looking at £25million for 2 England young international strikers there.

This is a MASSIVE window for Liverpool.

Rodgers has us going the right way.

I like the fact that some of the kids have been forced through, and guess what some of em were good enough all along.

Kenny's biggest failing in my book.

Its now up to the owners to stick or twist.

Do they want to back their man or not?

I predicted we'd be about 12th this season. (Probably way out who knows).

But with 2 or 3 good additions, we are capable of 4th.

There are more teams in the hunt for 4th, but the overall quality of those sides is down down down.

It's a levelling down, not up.

We have a sniff, if the owners want to take it seriously.

If top 4 is where they want to be, then they know what they have to do to achieve it.

Dont think Bent will be considered at all, unless we are completely out of money. Which we likely wont be considering we were after another player at the end of August and we have significantly reduced our wage bill. Hopefully the likes of Downing will be bought by someone and Cole will sign for someone or loaned the fuck out aswell.

January is always the worst time to buy, the value just isn't there.

We could just end up with a Yesil/Assaidi type buy at the end of it all.

Not necessarily.

We got Skrtel, Arbeloa, Suarez and Mascherano in past January windows.

It's probably more difficult during January since there is less time for clubs to make their moves, and no club wants to loose their best or better players in the middle of the season. But there are most certainly deals to be made and bargains to be found.

I just saw this on football365.......

This man has scored 168 goals in 142 games, has played and performed at Champions League and UEFA Cup/Europa League level, has close to 50 caps for his country, is recognised as an expert free kick and penalty taker, can play a lone striker role and with a partner, is 29 years of age and in his prime AND IS OUT OF CONTRACT IN THE SUMMER! I give you....OSCAR CARDOZO!

Could he do a job for us?

I just saw this on football365.......

This man has scored 168 goals in 142 games, has played and performed at Champions League and UEFA Cup/Europa League level, has close to 50 caps for his country, is recognised as an expert free kick and penalty taker, can play a lone striker role and with a partner, is 29 years of age and in his prime AND IS OUT OF CONTRACT IN THE SUMMER! I give you....OSCAR CARDOZO!

Could he do a job for us?

not seen him play for a while but he was class that season we played them in the Europa, was surprised he never got a big move

January is always the worst time to buy, the value just isn't there.

We could just end up with a Yesil/Assaidi type buy at the end of it all.

Yes, but we are a (slowly) improving side, with scope to improve markedly on the back of 2 or 3 signings, that were not made in the summer.

We have everything to gain in this window.

There's plenty of opportunity to significantly strengthen what we have.

And boy do we need it.

A good January, and we can get 4th, due to the lack of genuine quality lower down the league.

Do the owners have the desire and the nous, that's the question.

I don't think Walcott is a goer now! I was hopefully when Arsenal were looking to sell in January as I felt we would be a good option then, but on a free he will have his choice and City, United and others will be in for him then.

Sturridge won't go away, and he does seem keen as well. I think Sturridge and another attacking player would be great. Lucas coming back then as well! If we can keep this run going then we can finish quite well.