You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't think Kenny is a dealing with this at all, if he was then he'd drop Reina for Doni for a couple of games, if not the rest of the season. Love Pepe but he's disrespecting the fans by posting these poor performances for this long, it's obviously an attitude issue, not an ability issue. And I really don't care what the issue is Pepe, I'm amazingly underwhelmed by whatever it is that has made you so lethargic, fuck off, grow up, deal with it on your own, then get back to work.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree his form has dipped, I think its a bit hasty to call him a keeper 'in decline'!

He looks to me like someone who wants a new challenge but hasnt come to terms he'd have to leave to get that.

I don't think its him wanting a new challenge, I just think he's bulked up and its meant he's lost the agility that made him one of the top goalies in the world. That's why he's much safer from corners now but much worse at shot stopping.

I don't think its him wanting a new challenge, I just think he's bulked up and its meant he's lost the agility that made him one of the top goalies in the world. That's why he's much safer from corners now but much worse at shot stopping.

and tactics aswell. The defence sitting deeper.

Guest San Don

Bulking up and agility dont make you spill the ball on simple shots at fulham or flap like a schoolboy keeper for goals like cardiff's equaliser and wigan's winner. And neither do tactics.

IMO.

The Fulham shot was just a one off. His handling is still very good most of the time. Yes he'll misjudge a couple of corners from time to time and spill a few, just like any other keeper in the world. What's worrying me is the fact he doesn't even attempt to stop anything that goes either side of him, almost as if he has no confidence in himself anymore to actually make that type of save. We either need to get a new goalie coach in like Valero who's not in work at the moment OR drop Reina for Doni and see if it gets a positive reaction from him. Plus I'd get him off the weights.

He needs a decent goalkeeping coach.

Achterburg seems to spend all his time with Doni, there's definitely no chemistry with Pepe, probably no respect either.

I remember Pepe saying that he was let down by Purslow after Rafa was given the sack because he was promised he could pick his own coach but was then saddled with that geriatric mate of Uncle Roy's.

He needs to be challenged in training and it clearly ain't happening.

The Fulham shot was just a one off. His handling is still very good most of the time. Yes he'll misjudge a couple of corners from time to time and spill a few, just like any other keeper in the world. What's worrying me is the fact he doesn't even attempt to stop anything that goes either side of him, almost as if he has no confidence in himself anymore to actually make that type of save. We either need to get a new goalie coach in like Valero who's not in work at the moment OR drop Reina for Doni and see if it gets a positive reaction from him. Plus I'd get him off the weights.

Not really, Arsenal first game last year at Anfield, was another howler and his ability to be statuesque at any dangerous situation is becoming a bit problematic.

The problem, in a nutshell.

Guest San Don

Its a pretty basic tennant of goalkeeping to chuck yourself in the direction of the ball so if he hasnt got that 'confidence' (and I dont think its a confidence issue one jot) then he needs to be told his performances are below his high standards.

I dont understand why some people are suggesting he's getting 'shit' in this thread when his performances are below his high standards.

I don't think Kenny is a dealing with this at all, if he was then he'd drop Reina for Doni for a couple of games, if not the rest of the season.

By not even playing Doni in cup games, Kenny has sent the message out that Reina is essentially undroppable. No wonder Pepe has been phoning in his performances this season, being treated with such deference has got to make anyone complacent.

Guest San Don
Am I missing something ?

We have lined up on occasions with Adam, Henderson &, Downing constituting three-quarters of our midfield & Pepe is our main concern ?

Who's making out he's our main concern, Sir Rog (although I'd say it was a big concern when one of your stellar players isnt performing)!? And surely if any player is not performing to their full potential, there's no reason to duck the issue and pretend everything is fine, is there?

Who's making out he's our main concern, Sir Rog (although I'd say it was a big concern when one of your stellar players isnt performing)!? And surely if any player is not performing to their full potential, there's no reason to duck the issue and pretend everything is fine, is there?

Fair enough SD, and I can see he has not been at his best this season

( who has ? ) but I am a bit non-plussed to see 139 posts worrying about the only player we have who would walk into every other team in the division.

I know that we have a habit of singling out players when things go wrong. That's understandable, someone has to be at fault. But if you look at our defense as a whole (which includes Pepe), we have been quite stingy in terms of goals we concede. So is the beef we have with Pepe the types of goals being conceded, sloppiness in goal, or is it that, to some, he's overall performances warrant a drop to the bench? In which case, he's not alone in that respect.

Fair enough SD, and I can see he has not been at his best this season

( who has ? ) but I am a bit non-plussed to see 139 posts worrying about the only player we have who would walk into every other team in the division.

This is the pepe thread. Lucas thread is on page 2.

I dont understand why some people are suggesting he's getting 'shit' in this thread when his performances are below his high standards.

Agree and agree. I'm not seeing too much of a witch hunt on here. Just some pretty fair observations, for the most part, about one of our good players.

Guest San Don
You seriously trying to pin that on Reina? Really? Fuck me, you a right proper fuckin tit of epic proportions.

Try taking the blinkers off tithead. Positioning? How much of the goal did he have to hit? Even trying to get to the ball?

Fucking wake up!