You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Interesting discussion on Twitter about whether running out the non-striker should mean 5 runs off rather than losing a wicket.  

For a 'normal' run-out or a Mankad? I'd agree with the latter, although it might encourage bowlers to look for opportunities to do so and break up the flow of the game. Not sure about the former, seems to be too lenient.

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

For a 'normal' run-out or a Mankad? I'd agree with the latter, although it might encourage bowlers to look for opportunities to do so and break up the flow of the game. Not sure about the former, seems to be too lenient.

Sorry Mankad only. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Interesting discussion on Twitter about whether running out the non-striker should mean 5 runs off rather than losing a wicket.  

Yeah, following on from a couple of incidents in the U19 Women's World Cup? I've seen them, proper 'dummy a delivery then back out and whip the bails off' jobs. Whilst I get the argument that not leaving your crease would eradicate the risk it still just feels like the enfranchisement of cricket has just basically allowed football-type behaviour to sneak in and suddenly all forms of dismissal are in play and dummying a delivery to Mankad a non-striking batsman is as legitimate a concept as a flighted ball coaxing a batsman out their crease, beating the bat and being stumped. This is the next generation of cricketers and they're clearly being coached and instructed to get involved in it constantly.

That's fine, I suppose, if that's what we all want. But the authorities need to have some sort of regulation on it though because I fucking guarantee the next time a bowling side is running out of runs to defend in the dying light of the 5th day of a match there'll be some cunt doing this every other ball to slow the game down, get replays looked at etc., and it'll be a horrible spectacle. But then that's test cricket - so doesn't matter, I guess.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn't realised we had shoehorned a tiny one-day series in South Africa until I got a notification the first game has started.

Reading that the Saffers need to do well in it or look like they might get put in the pre-qualifiers for the One Day world cup in India late this year.

• 2 weeks later...