You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Jobs Has Died

Guest Numero Veinticinco

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I didn't realise that he invented that at Xerox PARC, along with the GUI...

He didn't invent it. He took something unusable (didn't tell you that in Wikipedia) and added much more to it: Menu bars and windows and window function (you know, the basis of what every single operating system now uses), and then he made it usable and took it to the mass market. Technology is useless if it doesn't work and can't be sold.

I think the main problem here is that people haven't been following Apple for 20 years and don't actually know - beyond the hearsay of tossers saying he was 'just a salesman' - what he did.

you wouldn't be using a mouse with your computer without him.

Just one of many examples of his innovations.

As somebody else said, Apple and IBM/MS shamelessly robbed from the Xerox Star. Fact is that Apple have the financial R&D clout to develop existing ideas and are very savvy at hiring good developers.

Now Jobs has passed on, technical evolution will still continue.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think we need a bit of perspective here, he was no Rudi Gernreich, now that was a fucking loss to the world, I can appreciate why someone like NN has strong feelings about his passing though, much more than hoddie huggers that had porbably never heard of him.

iPod wearing shitheads, or just anti-apple shitheads. Being anti-apple is just as ridiculous as being pro-apple. If you say 'it's just a brand', then surely it's nothing to get worked up over. They can't seem to acknowledge what apple have done and whilst other people were carrying their entire record collection, they were using 8mb mp3 players with no screen. THEY WIN!

iPod wearing shitheads, or just anti-apple shitheads. Being anti-apple is just as ridiculous as being pro-apple. If you say 'it's just a brand', then surely it's nothing to get worked up over. They can't seem to acknowledge what apple have done and whilst other people were carrying their entire record collection, they were using 8mb mp3 players with no screen. THEY WIN!

? I mean ? Really ? Like it has been said before and seems to be something you are having real difficulty grabbing, Apple popularised products by improving their design and UI. It's a marketing thing. Nothing more. They have not actually come up with much that is new or had been done by others.

Here is a lovely picture of a Rio, it is the 2nd mp3 player ever made with 64mb of storage. Not much I grant, but it predates anything Apple made by 3 years. It even looks as if it has a circular hub in the centre. Fancy that!

363px-Rio_pmp300.jpg

After this came other mp3 players with up to 6gb (Creative) of stroage that predating Apple's first iPod.

As for being anti-apple, this is being written on an iMac. I also have a macbook and an iPod and I work for a company in Cambridge that was jointly founded by Apple. I'm not anti-Apple. I'm just not a screaming schoolgirl without a proper sense of perspective and someone who knows how Apple works.

He didn't invent it. He took something unusable (didn't tell you that in Wikipedia) and added much more to it: Menu bars and windows and window function (you know, the basis of what every single operating system now uses), and then he made it usable and took it to the mass market. Technology is useless if it doesn't work and can't be sold.

I think the main problem here is that people haven't been following Apple for 20 years and don't actually know - beyond the hearsay of tossers saying he was 'just a salesman' - what he did.

I remember the Xerox PARC bit from an old documentary, no need to go looking that one up on Wiki...

Just looking stuff up to refresh my memory of that, an interesting piece about it all on Folklore.org and the development of the UI.

Folklore.org: Macintosh Stories: Busy Being Born

Maybe I worded my reply a bit sparsely... No doubt he came up with various ideas himself, but I still maintain that the main tech progress came as a result of his supremely talented workforce, rather than just himself. Kudos for assembling that workforce, and certainly for bringing it all to the common man. The thing that brought Apple into existance, the Apple I and II was mainly down to the genius of Woz rather than Jobs. Maybe this is just my own perception. I have far more sympathy for the common engineer/nerd.

Then again, without Jobs being a driving force behind it, it may have just ended up as another self-assembled hobbyist machine.

One thing is without doubt though, personal computing would look a shitload different without the influence of Apple upon the whole affair and for that, if nowt else, he should rightly be lauded. Imagine the world of computing if, at the time, IBM/Microsoft and so on had it all their own way.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
? I mean ? Really ? Like it has been said before and seems to be something you are having real difficulty grabbing, Apple popularised products by improving their design and UI. It's a marketing thing. Nothing more. They have not actually come up with much that is new or had been done by others.

Here is a lovely picture of a Rio, it is the 2nd mp3 player ever made with 64mb of storage. Not much I grant, but it predates anything Apple made by 3 years. It even looks as if it has a circular hub in the centre. Fancy that!

363px-Rio_pmp300.jpg

After this came other mp3 players with up to 6gb (Creative) of stroage that predating Apple's first iPod.

Maybe you're too simple to understand, but I didn't say he invented mp3 players. I know full well about the Rio as I owned two of them. Me and the other 5 people who got them thought they were shit. I couldn't give a fuck about iPods or iPads.

As for being anti-apple, this is being written on an iMac. I also have a macbook and an iPod and I work for a company in Cambridge that was jointly founded by Apple. I'm not anti-Apple. I'm just not a screaming schoolgirl without a proper sense of perspective and someone who knows how Apple works.

And I am?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I remember the Xerox PARC bit from an old documentary, no need to go looking that one up on Wiki...

Just looking stuff up to refresh my memory of that, an interesting piece about it all on Folklore.org and the development of the UI.

Folklore.org: Macintosh Stories: Busy Being Born

Maybe I worded my reply a bit sparsely... No doubt he came up with various ideas himself, but I still maintain that the main tech progress came as a result of his supremely talented workforce, rather than just himself. Kudos for assembling that workforce, and certainly for bringing it all to the common man. The thing that brought Apple into existance, the Apple I and II was mainly down to the genius of Woz rather than Jobs. Maybe this is just my own perception. I have far more sympathy for the common engineer/nerd.

Then again, without Jobs being a driving force behind it, it may have just ended up as another self-assembled hobbyist machine.

One thing is without doubt though, personal computing would look a shitload different without the influence of Apple upon the whole affair and for that, if nowt else, he should rightly be lauded. Imagine the world of computing if, at the time, IBM/Microsoft and so on had it all their own way.

I enjoyed TBL's blog titles 'Steve Jobs and the Actually Usable Machine'. He went on to make the building blocks of the internet because of that. Thanks Steve. Thanks for starting that company and having the vision to take it that way.

That's some good salemanship right there.

Guest TK-421
I feel the same as when Freddie Mercury died.

Is that because

another one bytes the dust?

Guest ShoePiss
I think we need a bit of perspective here, he was no Rudi Gernreich, now that was a fucking loss to the world, I can appreciate why someone like NN has strong feelings about his passing though, much more than hoddie huggers that had porbably never heard of him.

I've worked in the industry for 13 years or so, dealt with Apple being a supplier of theirs, lived and worked in silicon valley and met Steve Wozniak more than once.

What the fuck is a hoddie hugger?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
met Steve Wozniak

I'm not ashamed to say I got him to sign my trousers. I still own them.

Okay, I'm a little ashamed.

I'm going to use a clip from the commencement speech he gave at Stanford University in 2005 in a talk this weekend.

I was sorry to hear about his death. 56 is a young age to leave your wife and kids behind. And obviously, while we can easily slide into debate about who invented what, and so on, I am at least a little saddened when I think about what he might have achieved in the next 10-20 years.

Guest ShoePiss
photo_view_243.jpg

Ah multiple quote fail, I had intended just to ask you what a hoddie hugger was. The boring work experience shite was supposed to be directed at NN.

So, hoddie hugger? I know it's nothing to do with faith healing.

I wonder if they'll give the slave labour that are building the gear a couple of hours off to consider the profound though of not letting anyone elses paradigms fence you in?

Seems to be a man that did a fair bit of good and pushed communication tools to the masses, but like everyone he wasn't perfect and he didn't mind mugging people off for a few quid.

I'm going to use a clip from the commencement speech he gave at Stanford University in 2005 in a talk this weekend.

I was sorry to hear about his death. 56 is a young age to leave your wife and kids behind. And obviously, while we can easily slide into debate about who invented what, and so on, I am at least a little saddened when I think about what he might have achieved in the next 10-20 years.

He left his first wife and child on welfare, whilst he himself was moneyed. Not heard much about him being philanthropic apart from closing such activities.

Maybe Murdoch needs to hang out with Bono.

Next time someone famous dies, can we avoid all the in-fighting by having two threads - one for people who want to eulogise, the other for people who aren't arsed.

See? You don't have to be Steve Jobs, innovation is for everyone.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
About sums it up.

I thought it was very poorly times and quite crass.

Next time someone famous dies, can we avoid all the in-fighting by having two threads - one for people who want to eulogise, the other for people who aren't arsed.

See? You don't have to be Steve Jobs, innovation is for everyone.

If they weren't arsed, they wouldn't bother with the thread at all.