You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Advice on what tablet to buy

I really want an iPad, preferably a 3G one, but can't justify spending £500 on one, especially with it only having a measly 16GB of memory.

Been waiting patiently for the first gen iPads to go down in price, but this isn't happening. Even the refurb prices are insane as are the data packages.

Are there any decent alternatives to it or should I wait for the next generation of tablets like the Samsung TX100.

samsung-tx100.jpg

Is it just me who doesn't see the point in these things?

The point of an iPad for me is quick, easy and highly portable access to all sorts of internet and/or entertainment-related stuff. You turn it on and you're on the net instantly - no boot up for twenty minutes, no crashes, no going into the room where the computer is to do what you want to do. Our iPad has been the best bit of techie stuff we've bought since the arrival of Sky+. It's fucking ace.

I kinda see where you're coming from, but a decent laptop (which you could get for the same price) will do all that plus tons more. My housemate's got a tablet and it has become the most expensive rolling tray I've even seen.

I kinda see where you're coming from, but a decent laptop (which you could get for the same price) will do all that plus tons more. My housemate's got a tablet and it has become the most expensive rolling tray I've even seen.

A laptop won't do what an iPad does. When I said quick, I meant instantaneous. I mean you press a button and you're on line. Laptops boot up. Also, you can't lie in bed with a laptop or use it on the bog or in the bath. An iPad will easily follow you to all those places. It's also great for taking on holiday, too. You get all the benefits of mobile Internet on a phone but with a proper screen size.

I wonder if your expensive rolling tray is an iPad. I'll wager not.

A laptop won't do what an iPad does. When I said quick, I meant instantaneous. I mean you press a button and you're on line. Laptops boot up. Also, you can't lie in bed with a laptop or use it on the bog or in the bath. An iPad will easily follow you to all those places. It's also great for taking on holiday, too. You get all the benefits of mobile Internet on a phone but with a proper screen size.

I'm reading this on my laptop, while sitting on the bog.

I both lie in bed with a laptop and take it to the bog. I don't shower with it, that's true. That other POS doesn't even have a memory card reader.

You can't lie in a bed with a laptop? Why not, do you consider it cheating on your ipad? I certainly can't think of any other reason why you couldn't.

A laptop can do everything an ipad can, but takes 30 seconds longer to get going. Big deal. I guess if those 30 seconds are vitally important to you then an ipad is the only way to go. I just don't get it meself.

You can't lie in a bed with a laptop? Why not, do you consider it cheating on your ipad? I certainly can't think of any other reason why you couldn't.

A laptop can do everything an ipad can, but takes 30 seconds longer to get going. Big deal. I guess if those 30 seconds are vitally important to you then an ipad is the only way to go. I just don't get it meself.

Alot of Laptops have a multimedia/internet only button that only turns on processes needed for running them without fully booting that takes less than 30 seconds, both my last two laptops have had this option.

Don't be facetious mate - of course they're not "vitally important". They are frustrating though. As for laptop in bed and on the bog, well I suppose anything's possible but there's no way it's as easy with a tablet.

I rarely switch mine off. I just put down the lid and into sleep mode it goes. The moment I open the lid again it's back on.

Guest davelfc
I have just won in work an Ipad 2 32gb with wifi and 3g. Its great for propping up my wonky table.

I hear they gave a monkey the collective works of Shakespeare and it just tore the pages out and wiped it's arse with them.

I ended up buying an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Tab 3G for £250 from Phones4u and will stick a 3 internet only SIM for £5 a month (2GB a month). Will also use the SIM in an unlocked T-Mobile dongle, when I need to use for my laptop.

Job done.

Personally think that 7" screen on a tablet is perfect. Any bigger and you're better off with a netbook.

I like the idea of a tablet but wouldnt pay more for one of them than the cost of a good laptop,that seems pointless.

I'm still amazed that those ipads still dont have flash built in,thats shite because my ipod touch is a fuckin nuisance without flash on it.

Would go for something around 200 quid with flash and a windows OS as necessities.

But I will wait until the novelty and glitches are ironed out first.

The wife has one which she used for a couple of months before she got pissed off with it since the quality of skype calls was shit and the kids could not use it for their stuff. I'm not sure where it is now actually as I have not seen it around for a while.

I wouldn't bother with a tablet personally. Another pointless piece of crap that you spend cash on that offers less functionality than a laptop.

Guest The Chimp
I hear they gave a monkey the collective works of Shakespeare and it just tore the pages out and wiped it's arse with them.

I can confirm this.

The wife has one which she used for a couple of months before she got pissed off with it since the quality of skype calls was shit and the kids could not use it for their stuff. I'm not sure where it is now actually as I have not seen it around for a while.

I wouldn't bother with a tablet personally. Another pointless piece of crap that you spend cash on that offers less functionality than a laptop.

I am a late convert. I got one a month or so ago. It's really useful. I take it places I wouldn't take a laptop - at home and at work. It works great with presentations. The battery lasts a whole working day. The web looks good on it and it's much quicker than firing up a laptop. It has a million uses, and I've already found dozens.