You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Big Sami retires from football

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legend that personified The Liverpool Way.

A great defender and a great person.

Last summer there was talks about him coming back to LFC in a coaching capacity - let's hope Kenny calls him up today and offers him a job.

Could see Carra and him leading LFC sometime in the future.

Come back, Sami!

Legend. It was obvious from his first appearance in the Carlsberg cup in Belfast that he had the positional sense of a truly great defender and a head like a magnet. Remember him coming through a match against Leeds with flu too and he didn't miss a beat. Absolutely world class and I'd dearly love to see him back here in a coaching role. He should always have a home here.

What's great though is that before we got him for a pittance, he was rejected by Spurs, Newcastle and Oldham.

izulj5.gif

I'll never forget that time he got his head cut up in a collision in the box, blood streaming down his face. Went off and got bandaged up like a wounded soldier, blood drying through the bandages wrapped around his forehead, ran back onto the pitch and immediately headed clear a corner.

Legend in every sense of the world. Commitment, brute strength, intelligence and the composure of a Zen master.

First time I saw Sami in the flesh was a home match against Watford ... which we lost and, to be truthful, he looked abject. How first impressions can be misleading! One of the finest players I have seen in the famous Red.

I'm lucky enough to have met with his father, Jouko, a few times - he was a footballer too: an absolutely charming, intelligent, humble man, just like his son by all accounts.

I broke down in tears at the full time whistle of that game, watching him break down in tears! One of my favourite players of all time. Only one word comes close to describing him accurately, as has already been used - legend.

One of the most moving things I've seen in the game that.

Come home Sami.

I fuckin cried like a little girl in hit last match when he was getting up set! not ashamed to say it as well, because that guy deserves all the praise and emotions the fans give him.

a true liverpool legend and my favourite player ever.

My worst assesment of a player ever was writing him off after the first two games of the season at Sheff Wed and at home to Watford. I remember turning to me Dad after Tommy Mooney scored and saying " Don't like the look of him, he is a bit one paced".

'Murphy, getting football wrong since 1983'