You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Yossi played well for 6 months in 09 when played on the right, when Kuyt played off Torres or off Torres himself. I can't remember one game where he played well on the left, obviously there are a few but not enough.

You mean when Gerrard was behind/off Torres, with Yossi tucked in off the left, and Kuyt tucked in off the right?

You've basically backed up my point. No-one plays with wingers. They play with inside forwards and/or pack the midfield so they can keep the ball. Width comes from fullbacks.

They are wingers and no matter what you call them they play on the wide, are fast and have creativity. You want to score points by being pedantic and calling them fancy names.

Hmm I could see us going for some Bosmans and some major buys

How about

Sylvain Marveaux Free Backup winger £40k pw

Taiwo Free 1st team LB £70k pw

Elmander Free back up striker £55k pw

Adam £6m backup CM £35k pw

Sakho/Subotic £18m 1st Team CB £80k pw

Hazard/Sanchez/Young £18-25m 1st team wide player £90k pw

Outs

Jova £4m (£60k pw)

Poulson £2.5m (£60k pw)

Aquilani £11m (£70k pw)

Kyrgiakos £2m (£40k pw)

Transfer spend £29.5m wages £140k pw+ If necessary you could sell Cole for £5m and lose his £90k pw wages.

I like the idea of Taiwo and Elmander on bosmans but ideally we'd sign 2 out of Hazard/Sanchez and Young as well as someone like M'Villa but I can't see us spending that much on fees let alone wages.

They are wingers and no matter what you call them they play on the wide, are fast and have creativity. You want to score points by being pedantic and calling them fancy names.

Nobody plays with wingers?

This reminds me of that conversation I had with some bellend who was quacking on about the myriad ways a "defensive midfielder" couldn't do a "holding midfielders" job.

Armchair superfan internet stat mong weapons.

Here's some wingers: Nani, Downing, Robben, Ribery, Valencia, Robinho, Lennon, Walcott, Di Maria, Sanchez, Adam Johnson.

I know it's all cool and that to talk about inside forwards and wide attacking midfielders, but just fuck off. Even Messi and Ronaldo play out wide.

I didn't realise Zeigler was on a free. I'd have him, if we miss out on Taiwo. He's been pretty good in Italy.

He was boss for Spurs under Santini, and looked a good player, and then fell out with Spurs, and then HSV where he was on loan... and then was loaned out until he went to Sampdoria.

Seems like his attitude issues must have been ironed out, by now...

Guest PurpleNose

They're not playing as wingers. Really don't see why its so difficult to understand.

In the same way our U'18s didn't play with wingers last night. Sterling is right footed, and played on the left, cutting inside, Suso did the opposite.

If we had played them on the opposite flanks, as wingers, we wouldn't have won 9-0, because Morgan is shit at heading the ball.

Yeah, but we ended up with Konchesky a few months later.

We were spending what money we had like a drunken sailor. Potential England player we were told. Having seen him play you know you want him in the England squad just to see him getting torn a new one every game.

Taiwo and Zeigler are 25 years old. They're both good left backs. One will suffice.

Marveaux, One of those leftbacks, and we've strengthened already.

You reckon Ziegler is good enough defensively?

Never seen Taiwo play, people on here seem to be indifferent on him. He LFC class defensively and going forward?

I rather have a great LB in someone like Coentrao, I know he's not proved here but who out there is good enough and is proved and would come to us? So I'd rather spend some more on a great left back who can both attack and defend rather than a good one like Taiwo or decent like Ziegler. And if we really did sign Marveaux I still want another wide player - many good ones have already been mentioned here.

The team that usually wins the Premiership, usually has the best wide players.

Arsenal used to have Overmars, then Pires /Ljundberg.

Chelsea won the league with Robben and Duff.

Man U with Giggs, Kanchelskis, Bechkam, Ronaldo and Nani.

Blackburn won it with Ripley and Wilcox - not world beaters, but two effective players.

If we want to win the league we need to get a couple of quality wide players. Hazard, Young, N'zogbia, Mata, Sanchez, A. Johnson etc. They don't have to be quick (although it would be great if one was), but they need to be productive. Beckham wasn't quick, however he used to get tons of assists... same for Pires!

Two wide players

a left back

a holding midfielder to compete with Lucas

a centre back

Getting rid of Jovanovic, Poulsen, Konchesky et al....

and we'll be laughing!

You reckon Ziegler is good enough defensively?

Never seen Taiwo play, people on here seem to be indifferent on him. He LFC class defensively and going forward?

Both are known for their ability to go forward, really. I've seen more of Taiwo, but I can't really say that I've been studying his positioning when I did. He didn't seem like he was making errors all over the shop, or anything.

Ziegler I haven't watched lately, except for the Swiss NT. I can't say that I noticed him being shite, but he's pretty good moving the ball, I think.

Both are known for their ability to go forward, really. I've seen more of Taiwo, but I can't really say that I've been studying his positioning when I did. He didn't seem like he was making errors all over the shop, or anything.

Ziegler I haven't watched lately, except for the Swiss NT. I can't say that I noticed him being shite, but he's pretty good moving the ball, I think.

If I recall correctly, at spurs, Ziegler was a good outlet on the left and could put in some wicked crosses. He seemed technically accomplished. I think he was suspect defensively though. Again, I don't know how many games he played their as LB & how many as LW. He is far more experienced now though.

Their seems to be genuine interest in Newcastle's Enrique though. So it may me academic in the end.