You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is the change of manager too late for us to make the top four?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Is the change of manager too late for us to make the top four?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don

I'd love to say no its not too late now the King is back. But, lets just be realistic and see how high he can make us fly without putting undue pressure on him.

We shouldn't underestimate how poor the squad is though. Certainly not a top 6 squad

6th is currently occupied by sunderland. there is nobody outside the top 5 who has a squad even close to quality to ours. for me 6th should be par for this squad. Add a couple of decent players and 6th should be comfortable come may. I don't believe we can break top 4 this season (although the way results have panned out who knows), but 6th should be achievable.

Yes, probably, although with the erratic form so far this year of... well, fucking everyone, I suppose you never know. But I do feel the first team we're able to put out is more than capable, allowing for confidence and mentality and sensible tactics, of going on a run. We are not nearly as bad as the previous manager made us look, and we really should be making a scrap of it at least half a dozen places higher than we are now.

If reinforcements arrive this month, even better. A Champion's League place is not a realistic ambition for now, but lets just take it a game at a time and see where we stand in two months.

Depends on what business we do in this transfer window. With three or four new players who hit the ground running, anything's possible (although still tough). However, if we don't do anything serious in this window there's absolutely no chance. We desperately need goals, pace, width and aerial dominance (in that order) and without them no amount of improvement from the current rag bag squad of crocks, cackers and a smattering of quality will get us ahead of two out of City, Spurs and Chelsea.

Agree with this. The squad we have now is good enough to finish anywhere from 5-8. Finishing 4th is a big ask. We'd need to go on one hell of a winning streak. Think we definently need reinforcements to help.

I voted top 4 still possible. If we do it then the feel around the club will be irresistable, and Kenny will surely stay on and lead us to no.19.

If we win the game in hand we have 8 points to make up in 17 games. Unfortunately that is against not one team but two. I can't imagine Chelsea will continue to sink like a stone. Sooner or later they will wake up, surely. We may overhaul Spurs, as they are not used to fighting it out in Europe and in the Prem.

A lot will also depend on whether we make a couple of good signings this month. If we can get another striker in, or at least a top class wide man to give us some pace and attacking intent from the wing, then who knows.

It's a tall order. The smart money says we will improve but will surely not go higher than 6th. But I'm a football fan again - filled with optimism once more.

So why not? Come on Kenny!

To get to 70 points (last year's 4th place tally) we'd need to win at least 14 out of our last 18. Even if fewer points were required I can't see us building up a good enough goal difference to have the edge over Chelsea.

14/1 is extremely generous. I think it would be a bigger miracle than Istanbul.

We did it in 04 with 60pts - 4 ahead of the Geordies in 5th

Everton did it in 05 with 61pts - 3 ahead of us in 5th

Arsenal did it in 06 with 67pts - 2 ahead of Spurs in 5th

Arsenal did it in 07 with 68pts - 2 ahead of 5th

We finished in 4th in 08 with 76pts - 11 ahead of 5th

Arsenal did it 09 with 72pts - 9 ahead of Everton

Spurs did last year with 70 - 3 ahead of Citeh in 5th

That's an average of 68 points. So it's safe to say 70 points is the target if we are to take 4th spot. There is 54 more points to play for, and we'd need to take 45 of those to get 70 points, as we are on 25. Tall order!

We have to not look at the table any more and just tally our own points.

We are 14/1 on Betfair to finish in the top 4. Nuff said.

Top 6 will be an achievement, and even there we are still 13/8. Good odds if you fancy it.

So your logic is because we're 14-1 on a site any retard can lay a bet on that it won't happen? Kenny sorts out Torres and ill gladly take 14-1 as with Torres doing what he can those odds are a joke, not unlike your train of thought in this matter. Odds for wolves and blackpool to beat Liverpool in the same season let alone at anfield? "Buff said "