You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is the change of manager too late for us to make the top four?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Is the change of manager too late for us to make the top four?

The question has been raised; is the change of manager too late for us to make the top four? This is the current table:

1 Man Utd 20 24 44

2 Man City 22 17 42

3 Arsenal 21 20 40

4 Tottenham 21 6 36

5 Chelsea 21 17 35

6 Sunderland 22 3 33

7 Bolton 22 5 30

8 Newcastle 21 3 28

9 Blackburn 22 -6 28

10 Stoke 21 0 27

11 Everton 21 -2 25

12 Liverpool 20 -3 25

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TesticleOReilly

All the teams around us and up to that 5th spot will take points off each other, it's a balls up, this year's league. If we quietly get on with the job in hand it can turn around very quickly. Winning some away games always helps.

I think the loss to Blackburn can prove to be the one game too late unfortunatly.

We should have made the change before that game.

As it is now I`m 100% sure we will get 6th and if we can get above that it will be a bonus for me, but its not impossible.

Just voted No to make it 10 all.

There are alot of points to play for and the league has been so inconsistent it is feasible. A good run of attacking performances could see us climb the table and fast.

Perhaps it could be perceived as wildly optimistic, sure. But in the days just after Kenny has returned to our manager's position, well this is the perfect time to be in such a frame of mind!

Depends on what business we do in this transfer window. With three or four new players who hit the ground running, anything's possible (although still tough). However, if we don't do anything serious in this window there's absolutely no chance. We desperately need goals, pace, width and aerial dominance (in that order) and without them no amount of improvement from the current rag bag squad of crocks, cackers and a smattering of quality will get us ahead of two out of City, Spurs and Chelsea.

Clearly it is possible, but I'm not sure it's realistic. The one positive thing is that none of the teams are that consistent and Chelsea are in freefall. We would need to turn things around very quickly though, and to do that we will need to sign a couple of good players during this transfer window. I really don't see it happening, but hope springs eternal...

Too late. I have complete faith in the manager but we have too many weak links in the squad and their confidence is shot. Kenny has spoken about the confidence factor over the weekend, he wasn't using it as a ready made excuse but it took months to make them this bad and they aren't going to get back to their best overnight. We'd also need two of the current top five to fuck up the rest of their seasons as badly as we've fucked up the start of ours.

I expect us to start playing proper football again and finish this season looking like a team that will challenge for the top one next season.

I think so. 6th is very, very achievable and 5th at a push (if Spurs or City implode, or if Chelsea don't sort themselves out), but top four might be pushing it. Almost goes without saying I'd love to be proved wrong like. I just can't help feeling the top five is locked out, I felt that at the start of the season too before the Roy pessimism set in.

We'll finish much higher than 12th though.