You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa will be sacked after world club champs

adidas samba

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooo ooooo oooooo lets all continue to belittle the previous incumbent of the manager's job here whilst the current incumbent destroys the morale fanbase and stature of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB. whilst the nasty nasty fat man wins trophies at his new club how dare the fat bastard it's not fair Boo hoo hoo hooo

Pretty much sums up this fucking thread.

Look over there, look over there!

distraction.png

An opportunity to talk about our former manager always provides a good excuse for a bitch and moan from certain people.

Normally the same people who are awfully quiet about our current manager and who spent much of last year saying how 'anyone could do better with our current squad that that cunt'...

Distraction or panic attacks you're bound to get if you start thinking about our incumbent charge d'affaires? Hard choice...

Guest the boy

I bet Inter fans didn't ''expect'' to win the CL again this season. They still could do who knows but no doubt they would not expect to be a dozen points off the leaders of Serie A going into Christmas.

I've very little doubt they'd all prize a European Cup far above a Scudetto; Benitez was brought in so as to establish a European dynasty. And regardless of league position, it would be a fool that ever rules out the chances of Rafael Benitez in European competition. That will be the watermark.

Both managers have contradicted themselves but the one who inherited the stronger situation seems to be the one getting excuses made for him.

Seeing as a lot of Inter fans are agreeing with him, then you'd have to say there might be something in these 'excuses', wouldn't you?

Rafa said last year anybody could win the league with the Inter squad when Mourinho was in charge last year.

When did he say this, I assume you've got a link to an article in which Rafa says this.

What I can tell you is, Hodgson told Broughton, that he could do better than last season, with the same players from last season.

What I don't get is why the people who were so desperate to see the back of him STILL take so much interest in him now he's gone.

I appreciate there are people on the other side of the argument who continuously go on about him, but why are those who 'won' still obsessed with denigrating everything he did while he was here?

Can't get my head round it...

It wasn't long since under Rafa it didn't matter who played home or away we would fancy our chances of winning.

Under Hodgson regardless of who we play i don't even expect a point in any game so anything is a bonus.

Could you see Hodgson going to away games against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea and Inter Milan to name a few and getting the victory.

Hodgson is far, far inferior manager.

There is no two ways about it Rafa is failing at Milan and even though injuries have taken a huge impact on their season it is rumoured to be the training methods that are doing so.

If Benitez is saying he wants 5 players at Milan then he is on a loser there as Moratti won't sanction anything like that.

I don't think I could make that argument actually. Benitez left because we underachieved last season, implying the squad was good enough to do better. Which I agree with. Inter won everything last season, and whilst they had the best squad in Italy, they overachieved in Europe. Now they no longer have the best squad in Italy, because Juventus and AC Milan have invested, whilst Inter haven't.

So I would say their need to invest was more pressing than ours, when you consider their expectations.

You answer your own question about why is he changing methods that worked there before. He's a stubborn man who does not want to be seen to have to simply continue Mourinho's methods. There is also the fact that he probably sees that the methods will have a sell by date, especially without investment. This is partly the reason Mourinho never stays at a club very long, in my opinion. Buy the squad you want for the short term, set up the tactical framework for the short term, win loads in the short term. Then fuck off when things probably need changing.

We didn't invest either, where most of the teams around us have. I think it's silly to try to belittle Mourinho's or Benitez's achievements. Mourinho changes clubs - their outlook, their way of playing, and their staff.

Benitez has taken over a fantastically successful team, who would have almost certainly still been challenging under Mourinho this year - new players or not. Benitez has always fared better when expectations have been low. He must see that, yet he took the job on - maybe it was a personal challenge, maybe it was too big to turn down, maybe it was an 'I told you so' to Liverpool's owners. He must have known he would struggle to equal Mourinho's record. He must have known he wasn't getting any money to spend in the summer. He will have been told what he could expect in the winter when he took the job.

Benitez may not have a great season this year, and Italians are notoriously knee jerk, but rather then play it out in the press, he should try to retain a bit of dignity and resolve it behind the scenes. He doesn't seem to have the capacity to do this, and it's damaging to him.

Guest PurpleNose
We didn't invest either, where most of the teams around us have. I think it's silly to try to belittle Mourinho's or Benitez's achievements. Mourinho changes clubs - their outlook, their way of playing, and their staff.

Benitez has taken over a fantastically successful team, who would have almost certainly still been challenging under Mourinho this year - new players or not. Benitez has always fared better when expectations have been low. He must see that, yet he took the job on - maybe it was a personal challenge, maybe it was too big to turn down, maybe it was an 'I told you so' to Liverpool's owners. He must have known he would struggle to equal Mourinho's record. He must have known he wasn't getting any money to spend in the summer. He will have been told what he could expect in the winter when he took the job.

Benitez may not have a great season this year, and Italians are notoriously knee jerk, but rather then play it out in the press, he should try to retain a bit of dignity and resolve it behind the scenes. He doesn't seem to have the capacity to do this, and it's damaging to him.

I haven't belittled either Mourinho or Benitez' achievements.

We bought more players than Inter were able to. Unfortunately we bought almost exclusively fucking shit players. Because we have a fucking shit manager.

Benitez has said the club need investment, which it does. All managers do this.

It wasn't long since under Rafa it didn't matter who played home or away we would fancy our chances of winning.

Under Hodgson regardless of who we play i don't even expect a point in any game so anything is a bonus.

Could you see Hodgson going to away games against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea and Inter Milan to name a few and getting the victory.

Hodgson is far, far inferior manager.

There is no two ways about it Rafa is failing at Milan and even though injuries have taken a huge impact on their season it is rumoured to be the training methods that are doing so.

If Benitez is saying he wants 5 players at Milan then he is on a loser there as Moratti won't sanction anything like that.

That said Coop if they don't make one single signing (which they didn't) he's on to a loser from the off.

I hope Rafa gets a good pay off and takes the rest of the season to think about his future.

There was no doubt Rafa he got alot of things wrong during his time at Liverpool but he also got a hell of a lot of things right.

I thought it was time for a change in the summer. The only slight niggle is what he would have done (do?) with a bit more money to spend on top players i.e. Silva when he wanted him and who was prepared to come here.

Yes he made bad buys as well, as do all top managers (even Roy :whistle:) but can't help think what would happen if he was working with somebody like Comolli (keeping him in check) and having some decent cash to spend?

I can't understand the venom of some supporters toward Rafa's time in Liverpool? He gave me and the rest of the passionate supporters some great times.

Obvious ones are Istanbul and Cardiff. But mostly the European nights particulalrly the first semi with Chelsea. I have never known an atmosphere like that and something that will stay with me for life. Beting the mancs 4-1 at their place has to be up there. I remember nearly crying when Danny Murphy gave us out first win over the scum in I can't remember how many years. So context of 4-1.

Yes he frustrated me but not in equal measure. Shit team against 'boro when we were neck and neck with the scum in March. Lost 2-0 and never recovered after that. Taking Torres off at Birmingham. His questionable rotaion system. But overall he was a very positive experience.

Give the guy a break. He is a maverick. He has his faults but he loves the club and the fans. And he brought home n0. 5 for keeps and put us firmly back in european history. With a bit of real money to spend maybe he could have brought us no. 19?

Seeing as a lot of Inter fans are agreeing with him, then you'd have to say there might be something in these 'excuses', wouldn't you?

When did he say this, I assume you've got a link to an article in which Rafa says this.

What I can tell you is, Hodgson told Broughton, that he could do better than last season, with the same players from last season.

Someone posted it earlier on in this thread a few weeks ago can't be arsed sifting through it.

How do you know a lot of Inter fans are agreeing with him then out of curiousity?

Judging by the forum link somebody posted on here recently they want him out as much as Hodgson is wanted out here.

Good point you make there about him always faring better when expectations have been low. When he joined here in 2004 we were listless and needed fresh impetus and ideas which he undoubtedly brought us but joining the best team in Italy over the past few years and the current European champions is a different kettle of fish altogether. A side packed with experience who wouldn't have wanted too much change after a great season last time around has caught him on the hop.

I don't know how Juventus are doing specifically (think they are 4th although I may be wrong) but I think someone of that ilk, a club who have struggled in recent years would have been a better match for him rather than trying to outdo or even equal Mourinho at Inter. There are some similarities with Juventus now and us in 2004 where they probably needed a manager like Rafa to give them some organization and guidance to get them competitive again like he did with us. Inter didn't really need that at all. He maybe should have gone to Juve when he had the chance.

Good point you make there about him always faring better when expectations have been low. When he joined here in 2004 we were listless and needed fresh impetus and ideas which he undoubtedly brought us but joining the best team in Italy over the past few years and the current European champions is a different kettle of fish altogether. A side packed with experience who wouldn't have wanted too much change after a great season last time around has caught him on the hop.

I don't know how Juventus are doing specifically (think they are 4th although I may be wrong) but I think someone of that ilk, a club who have struggled in recent years would have been a better match for him rather than trying to outdo or even equal Mourinho at Inter. There are some similarities with Juventus now and us in 2004 where they probably needed a manager like Rafa to give them some organization and guidance to get them competitive again like he did with us. Inter didn't really need that at all. He maybe should have gone to Juve when he had the chance.

Good post that John and i fully agree.

The Inter Milan job was a poisoned chalice in so much as how can you better what Mourinho did other then win the World Club Cup as well.

The best thing Rafa could have done when leaving Liverpool is taken some time off as lets be honest financially he doesn't need to work and he could have easily got pundit jobs here and there.

I think by leaving Liverpool when it was a mess with all the politics and then going to Inter Milan its as if he just wants to continue fighting battles.

Whlist he was battling with Parry is it a coincidence that when it was Moores and Parry to contend with we won the Champions League, FA Cup and got to final of both the Carling Cup and another Champions League appearance.

When Hicks and Gillett appeared it increased the battles and Rafa took his eye off the ball and allowed the team to suffer.

The takeover happenend a year too late as it would have been interesting to see what last season would have brought without any in-fighting and a settled dressing room.

What is Rafa's net spend at Inter?

Yeah, start now with net spend and Benitez, what next, someone knows one of the Inter players and we'll get the rumors started...

P.S. Inter apparently signed 2 players in the summer: Marco Davide Faraoni (Lazio), Luca Castellazzi (Sampdoria).

Good post that John and i fully agree.

The Inter Milan job was a poisoned chalice in so much as how can you better what Mourinho did other then win the World Club Cup as well.

The best thing Rafa could have done when leaving Liverpool is taken some time off as lets be honest financially he doesn't need to work and he could have easily got pundit jobs here and there.

I think by leaving Liverpool when it was a mess with all the politics and then going to Inter Milan its as if he just wants to continue fighting battles.

Whlist he was battling with Parry is it a coincidence that when it was Moores and Parry to contend with we won the Champions League, FA Cup and got to final of both the Carling Cup and another Champions League appearance.

When Hicks and Gillett appeared it increased the battles and Rafa took his eye off the ball and allowed the team to suffer.

The takeover happenend a year too late as it would have been interesting to see what last season would have brought without any in-fighting and a settled dressing room.

Can't disagree with any of that, from both you and John coops.

The thing is though Coop. At every club there is drama, at Chelsea there has been drama, at United with Rooney. City with Tevez.

The problem with Benitez was he couldn't deal with it, and when he couldn't deal with anyone either saying no, or kicking off. He would then kick off, and expectations would be reduced.

The thing is though Coop. At every club there is drama, at Chelsea there has been drama, at United with Rooney. City with Tevez.

The problem with Benitez was he couldn't deal with it, and when he couldn't deal with anyone either saying no, or kicking off. He would then kick off, and expectations would be reduced.

When did Rafa lower expectations? Others did, Ballague for example but I personally don't remember Rafa lowering expectations. I do remember him guaranteeing 4th when everybody had written us off. Even though we didn't get there, he still believed that was a minimum.

He could learn a pretty good lesson or two from current manager about lowering expectations.

No club has been in the mess we were in under Hicks and Gillett.

The club was a complete politcal battleground with every single person out to protect themselves.

Chelsea have recently had a drama with Wilkins and look at their form.

They should be running away with the league this season but thanks to infighting they are suffering.

United have had with Rooney but in all fairness they have struggled all season and personally if it wasn't for the hassle at Chelsea i don't think they would be anywhere near first place.

Man City have trouble with one £25m player but they have a team full of them and it makes you wonder just how much of an influence Tevez has on his team mates as most of the City team come across as mercenaries anyway.

Liverpool is in a complete mess due to Hicks and Gillett and its going to take some getting over it and this may well take us until the summer before all the wheels are in motion to do so but its wrong to blame all our misgivings on Rafa which is what many in the press are trying to do as a far greater evil left us in the summer rather then a manager who wanted to win trophies..