You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest ShoePiss

Is the catalyst for this thread because Carra said "Everyone knows it'll be a good thing for the club.

"Hopefully it will be sorted sooner rather than later and we can start looking forward on the pitch and start improving results, which is what we need to do."

Or is there something else he's said to make people go nuclear? I'm lost.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My two cents:

(a) Carragher needs to be less of a regular starter, if simply for form reasons. He's been beaten to a lot of balls recently, and our defence looks shoddy. If he can't deal with that, he can use the door if he wants, but I'd prefer if he didn't.

(b) Carragher needs to stop sticking up for fucking Steve Bruce and fucking Martin O'Neill. They are fucking moaning idiots.

Other than that, I appreciate all he did for us on the field when he was at his peak (first four years under Rafa, I guess)

I really hate to do this but reality must prevail

Turner

Shawcross

Cahill

Terry (even though he is massively overrated and a complete tool)

Alex

Vidic

Ferdinand

Vermaelen

Jagielka

Upson

King (when he can stay fit)

Kompany

Toure

Hangeland

Bramble (yes freaking Bramble)

Dunne

Evans

Mensah

All these defenders are now better than Carragher.

Before people respond as I can imagine what it will be like but Bramble has been brilliant since he linked up with Bruce and got a bit of confidence back in his play.

Clueless.

Guest the boy

Accurate. The defense is a fucking sieve without two defenders in front of it and has been for a while now. Carragher's at the centre of it.

titus bramble is a better player than carragher ay.

Seriously, do you actually believe this or do you just like to create talking points? He may not be the 2005-2008 carragher but you could go right through the team, with the exception of pepe. Titus bramble, john mensah, mathew upson and a lot more of the players on that list will never be fit to lace carras boots.

I'm shocked at the reponse this got, honest.

I believe every bit of what I've typed and I knew the name Bramble would get the reaction it has, just shows people arn't watching him play of late as he was excellent at Wigan and has carried that form to SUnderland.

Carra is poor in the air and a massive part of our defensive problems in that area, yes his positioning is good but he doesn't have enough pace to allow us to play with wing backs. He obviously isn't helped by the fact that there is sod all in front of him in defensive midfield but Carragher can't possibly be half as good as you think he is if we have to play our formation to suit him to get the best out of him. Defensive players should be able to defend in any formation regardless of whether we push the defensive line forward or not.

I have absolutely nothing against Carra, I just refuse to fawn over him when he is not playing up to the standards of a top class defender.

When Skrtel began to sort it out under Roy (as Hangeland did) I gave him the credit he deserved. If Carra can do the same then sound but at this moment all of those players could come in and replace him at Liverpool without a fuss and we'd more than likely be a better side for it.

I read through that opening post waiting for the punchline and was astounded when it never came.

Carra is a passionate red, more passionate than probably 99% of lads in the street. He feels defeat more deeply than anyone at that club, and he takes joy in success - crucially -for the fans and not just for himself, unlike most players these days.

He cares deeply about the club and - when asked his opinion - won't hold back. He's a fucking legend, and I hope he stays at the club - in one role or another - for the rest of his professional life.

He's also a lot sharper than he's given credit for. I wonder how many players these days are passionate enough about their views to actually donate thousands to a politician (Andy Burnham) in a leadership race that they have no chance of winning?

It disgusts me to hear people slating him just because he's slowing down a bit. People have short memories and should think back to the times in the CL and FA cup finals when he stretched to stop certain goals and injured himself in the process. He's a warrior, as close to 'old school' as the Premiership has seen in recent times.

When you hear shit like this it makes you realise why players we call 'mercenary' no longer have any compunction about ditching a club and looking after themselves. We slate the like of Mascherano for fucking off, but then turn on someone like Carra who has devoted his entire professional life to us. Loyalty should go two ways. Fucking shameless.

I think Carragher is usually spot on with what he says and I welcome his honesty.

I do however think he is pretty much undroppable and I don't think that is good, because he's not a world beater like Reina, Gerrard or Torres and when he isn't on form - Skrtel, Agger or Soto should play ahead of him.

I also didn't like his comments saying he would leave if not playing regularly in the first team, but that is his decision.

However the man is a legend and when on top form, he is still a big asset for us.

i personally dont think skrtel deserves praise at all i think the defence as a unit is an absolute shambles at the moment. Johnson allows far too many crosses to be put in unchallenged, as youve said carra AND skrtel aren't dominant in the air and we cant seem to keep a left back fit. All it means is that every cross or even high ball, and we are bombarded with them, is a threat. If i were the blueshite my first order of business would be to stick that carthorse fellani in an advanced position and just pump it for 90 mintues.

That being said, carragher is still a far better player and presence than most of the players on that list. Including titus fucking bramble

OK well if Skrtel doesn't deserve any praise - how many goals this season has he been at fault for?

He gave away a penalty against Man City - but other than that he has been pretty solid and our best performer at the back, along with Kelly.

Skrtel is definetly coming along though. He looks more assured, he's looking better in the air (his problem was his timing and it seems Roy is working with him on that) and he even looks better on the ball and more confident bringing it forward (strange given Agger's comments about what Roy wanted.

I'll be glad for Skrtel to do a Hangeland because I thought Hangeland was shocking at first as well and then he became the rightful heir to Sami's throne. If Skrtel follows this progression (and thought it's early it seems he is) then I'll be ecstatic.

Skrtel has been a potential for long enough, I always thought he would be better than Vidic eventually but he hasn't lived up to his potential ... yet. Needs to be far more imposing given his size.

we're 3rd from bottom. If any of our defenders (or even outfield players) deserve praise at this moment than jesus christ standards have dropped. Kelly has played in games that have been against weak opposition and rightly so hes only young, but to say hes been one of our better defenders is a bit farfetched

we're 3rd from bottom. If any of our defenders (or even outfield players) deserve praise at this moment than jesus christ standards have dropped. Kelly has played in games that have been against weak opposition and rightly so hes only young, but to say hes been one of our better defenders is a bit farfetched

It is a team game, one or two players might be playing well - I think Skrtel, Gerrard, Meireles, Kelly and Ngog are... but if the rest aren't performing, then there is little the other players can do.

Five players can't carry six others, especially when two are Ngog and Kelly, who aren't regulars.

When you hear shit like this it makes you realise why players we call 'mercenary' no longer have any compunction about ditching a club and looking after themselves. We slate the like of Mascherano for fucking off, but then turn on someone like Carra who has devoted his entire professional life to us. Loyalty should go two ways. Fucking shameless.

Carragher who came out and said the minute he's out the team he'd leave and go somewhere else? Carragher who refused to play right back when asked? Carragher who plotted against the last manager? He's done alot of good for the club, but stop putting him on a pedestal.

FWIW i'd never slag Carragher for his performances on the pitch. Personally I think he's been a bit of a liability for two or three seasons (and brilliant for 3 or 4 before that) and forces us to defend too deep when in the team. But whenever he plays he gives 100% and that's all you can ask. If that's not good enough, then it's up to the manager to do something about it.

I find it funny that fans - and Carragher himself - slag Mascherano for crying off of the City game. Middlesbrough away anyone?

Guest the boy

'devoted his entire proffessional life to us'

whilst living out of a two up two down on breck road, fanning away offers from Madrid, Milan & Blackburn like they were cheap confetti. So the legend goes.

Carra is one of the very few modern day footballers who actually get the game. I'm always impressed with his overall knowledge about the game, not just in Englaand but world wide. His should and hopefully will make an excellent coach/manager one day if he so choses that route.

Unfortunately i think quite a lot of fans myself included have started to take Carra & Gerrard for granted. It will only when they've gone and we don't have any local lads in the team will they truly be missed.

That said both need to up there game, in times of crisis (which is where we are at) the senior players need to lead by example. I'm sure both players will admit their performances have been well below par so far this season, but thats the same for other senior players such as Kuyt & Torres.

No problem with Gerrard's form, as he was boss at Old Trafford, great for England etc.

The problem is some of his teammates aren't playing well enough, the manager not getting the tactics right and the fact he is playing alongside players who aren't good enough.

He can't do it single handedly.

Bad bellends on here.

He has just as much (I would say more) right to come out and comment on the takeover as us fans do.

I can't believe the shit he regularly gets on here by the same people. Go and have a read about the stuff he has done for the city and the kids of the city.

Stop with the personal insults towards him, it just makes you look even more stupid than we already know you are.

We're also shite when he doesn't play at centre back. He needs to be in there organising the back four from the middle. Blackpool was an example of this. Him not being in the centre was one of the reasons we were so open at the back.

We're shite when he plays CB as well, that has more to do with not having Mascherano in there to clean up than anything else. A lot of teams are unfortunately going to cut us open in midfield this year, and it'll reflect poorly on all our 4 CBs, especially now that Rafa's defensively solid 4-2-3-1 has been replaced by the naive 4-4-2 of Hodgson. Neither Poulsen nor Lucas (nor Gerrard in fact) will be able to replace the grit and running of Masch in the middle, as a result our pressing becomes poorer and the opposition get more time on the ball. When Hodgson was going to buy a defensive midfielder from Juve he should have gone for Sissoko, who would have been perfect for us right now, adding both lungs, a bit of drive and a physical presence. I guess Juve wouldn't have got rid though...

No problem with Gerrard's form, as he was boss at Old Trafford, great for England etc.

The problem is some of his teammates aren't playing well enough, the manager not getting the tactics right and the fact he is playing alongside players who aren't good enough.

He can't do it single handedly.

Precisely. The whole back 4 were shite against United. We gave them the wings and they took it. Better yet, just watch Berbatov's hattrick, if a Sunday league team had defended like that you'd be pissed off!

Too many religious nutters on here, they've all come from a land called Rawk to spread their cult like views, their leader has been exiled to Milan and they blame anyone and everyone for his demise including one of Liverpool's greatest defenders who is on record as saying he has a lot of respect for Benitez, best to ignore these morons, sorry mormons.