You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk's goal yesterday

Preston Red

We all know that Dirk's goal was legal, but yet the media likes to whip up a good storm about controversial moments.

Why Kuyt goal was correct - Liverpool FC

Why Kuyt goal was correct

26th Sep 2010 - Latest News

The Professional Game Match Officials have released a statement after reviewing Dirk Kuyt's opening goal in the 2-2 draw with Sunderland on Saturday afternoon.

The Dutch star's fifth minute strike came under media scrutiny after it was suggested Makems defender Michael Turner had not intended to take the free-kick in the lead up to the home side's goal.

However, the PGMO have responded by issuing the following statement: "PGMO has reviewed the first goal scored between Liverpool and Sunderland and believe that the correct decisions were made.

"According to the Laws of the Game, having stopped the game for any infringement the referee is required to "indicate the restart of the match".

"In practice, in the majority of cases, referees indicate for the re-start by gesturing to players to take the kick. These gestures can be minimal. For the more important 'ceremonial' free-kicks, which also involve control of the defensive wall, referees can indicate by using the whistle. However, there is no requirement by Law to use the whistle to make the indication.

"The ball is then in play when it is kicked and moves. So, in this case, the ball was in play as soon as it is kicked by a Sunderland player.

"Also, the Laws state that the free-kick must be taken from the place where the infringement occurred. Again, in this case, the referee correctly determined that the free-kick was played from the right place."

Stick it up yer arse fat head and the same to you an all Baconface before you start.

Basically, the Sunderland defender fucked up and then wasn't even alive to the danger when Torres was checking with the referee.

But when you've got 24-hour rolling news to fill, what's going to do the job - an incident of shit defending or a good old-fashioned bit of "send us your views" controversy?

Print the legend!

On Five Live today I actually heard some pundit say "It was a free kick by the letter of the law, but there wasn't much common sense on show."

So it was a free kick then. And a lawful goal. Fucking idiot.

They kept going on about common sense on Football First too. It continued when the Carra/Skrtel incident happened saying that Skrtel didn't go off the pitch, which he did if I remember correctly.

It was a shit goal and we were very lucky.

Players backheel or tap the ball back to the keeper for free kicks all the time, and they're never normally counted as having been taken.

The defender was a bit stupid, but if it had been the other way there's no way we'd have wanted it to stand.

Bit of karma for the beach ball goal I suppose.

just to add my thoughts...

Personally, I think it was ludicrous to allow it. I thought it at the time and i still do. And to be honest, I think Torres thought it would be called back, otherwise i dont beleive he would have sqaured it to Kuyt as he needs goals.

On the other issues, I think their peno shout could have gone either way. It was a bit like the friedel sending off 2 years ago. Keeper couldnt really get out of the way after the touch but he brought the man down. Having said that, the touch was completely uncontrolled and was running out whether he was clattered or not.

As for Gerrard's 'elbow', no doubt he caust him, but not an elbow. I dont think there was much in it and a yellow was probably fair.

Atwell is fucking awful though, so its no surprise these issues follow him.