You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Sky is Falling Down (Uni Rankings)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Harvard has lost its top ranking for the first time for the first time since the inception of the QS report. Oxford is 6th. Cambridge, that I've long believed to be the best University in the world (in certain subjects), is first. MIT has moved up from 9th to 4th, which is nice to see.

QS

It's a farce this list. The universities prime their students in order to achieve first place, don't they? I read this somewhere, anyway: it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Isn't Noam at MIT....(ahem)?

Anyway, what does Cocky Locky say about all this?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Isn't Noam at MIT....(ahem)?

Yeah, he's Professor Emeritus (basically means retired). MIT is amazing. I've only ever been once (Stata Center), but it has a really great reputation for what they do. Caltech is good, too.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
HA! I got accepted to go to the 7th (5th in 2009) best Uni in the world' date=' but instead decided to go to the 85th cos my mates were going there and I imagined it'd be a lot more fun. Good times indeed.[/quote']

You got accepted to Imperial College but decided to go to Leeds.

Not your finest hour, mate.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
That's what you think. In retrospect' date=' it turned out to be a bodaciously stupendous decision. Hurray for me![/quote']

You'd be Prime Minister by now if you'd gone to Imperial.

Guest The Chimp

Always considered Cambridge to be the best personally, but then again this is based more on people I've met than any real research I've done into the rankings and how they're done.

Seems a bit hard faced to me: didn't Cambridge refuse to co-operate with the compilers at one stage such was their contempt for its views?

I may be getting mixed up with another survey, but I think it's this one. Something about not being able to quantify "the Cambridge experience". Wonder what their view is now they're top of the league?