You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

coop

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the point I was making, they're not.

I was highlighting that because we may end up net profit at the end of this transfer window does not necessarily infer the board are buying and selling players without Hodgson's prior consent.

I don't think there's any doubt of that being the situation now - I know that wasn't the case prior to a week or so ago.

But I think the fundamental point here is that if we accept that Liverpool Football club under Roy Hodgson must operate in a market where the manager is required to make a profit then we MUST not expect him to pull up trees in the premiership (Finish top four).

I think there might be something to what TK-421 is saying. I have no idea if Roy is a yes man, only time will tell. But these transfers only make sense in terms of reducing the wage bill and appeasing the fans.

Because the way things stand our full back cover is utter shit, I mean Degen was dung but you still need backups no matter what. But maybe we're going down the road of having talented youngsters as cover.

It makes sense because the players being sold is fuckin shite.

Just because Rafa bought them there are no reason to question them being moved on now that he has been moved on himself, to me it goes hand in hand to be honest.

I'd have thought that the fact Degen didn't get a first team start week after week was a good enough indicator that our ex-manager DID notice it.

Slight flaw in your argument though in the fact he bought him in the first place and didn't really actively look to sell him which with his revolving door transfer policy was surprising.

Clean slate doesnt mean he is going to give the shit players another season

it means he wont judge them on whats gone in the past so will judge Riera on ability and attitude under him rather than his outburst and won't not play Babel just because Rafa didnt it means he will judge them for himself and in 3 weeks of training he has seen Degen isn't up to it, if Insua had a longer contract i think he would've kept him but you can't turn down 5 million for someone with one year left unless your completely sure of their ability

FFS, why are people making a big deal that the manager said those things. He's taken a look at those players and under advice from Sammy Lee etc has decided its best to sell them. Wheres the conspiracy in that!?

Exactly.

Hodgson was officially appointed on the first of July.

Everyone will have been given a clean slate to impress but its hard to polish a turd and players such as Insua, Degen, Riera, Plessis and no doubt a few more will have been unable to please the manager.

In all fairness within a few training sessions it will have become apparent that these players are not Liverpool material and should be shipped out to raise release the funds and wages for better quality signings.

As fans we have been saying that there is plenty of deadwood to clear out and so far the players who we felt could depart without damaging the squad have either left or are lnked with moves away.

I personally can see no problem with anything Roy has said in the piece about Degen and i just hope the player listens to the manager and leaves.

Guest TK-421

We've gone from "clean slate" to...

“Philipp didn’t get a look in last year and will find it hard to get a look in this year,” said Hodgson.

“If he wants to play regularly, he needs to find a club that will say you are our number one man.

“He’s not going to be the number one man here with us, so does he want another long season playing on the bench not getting any games?

“He’s too old to play for the reserves, he’s an ex-Swiss international and if he wants his international place back, then he is going to have to look elsewhere.”

...in the space of three weeks. It's not so much the selling him, it's the part about him not getting any games even if he does stay. It's a complete u-turn.

Also, what is "playing on the bench". Playing Tetris?

He certainly wasn't a good player, but I question if he is really quite as bad as people say. He was defensively weak and got turned far too easily at times when playing for us but was half decent going forward (again not good but not bad either). I think a lot of people allow his injury record, which stinks, to cloud their judgement of him a bit.

Johnson is a player I like but he isn't that strong defensively. Better than Degen but not by miles. And he is obviously much better than him going forward.

Anyway, glad we are rid of him as he wasn't good enough. But if he can stay injury free he could have a good time on the continent. He should be able to make at least a mid table French or German team or someone a little higher as a backup.

Glad Roy is clearing out some dead (or injured) wood.

We've gone from "clean slate" to...

“Philipp didn’t get a look in last year and will find it hard to get a look in this year,” said Hodgson.

“If he wants to play regularly, he needs to find a club that will say you are our number one man.

“He’s not going to be the number one man here with us, so does he want another long season playing on the bench not getting any games?

“He’s too old to play for the reserves, he’s an ex-Swiss international and if he wants his international place back, then he is going to have to look elsewhere.”

...in the space of three weeks. It's not so much the selling him, it's the part about him not getting any games even if he does stay. It's a complete u-turn.

Also, what is "playing on the bench". Playing Tetris?

Give over, Roy has no seen him play during training for several days and because he is shite he knows he will not get many games this season.

Is that really so difficult to understand?

Stop looking for things that are not there, it will make your life a little bit better.

Guest PurpleNose
Give over, Roy has no seen him play during training for several days and because he is shite he knows he will not get many games this season.

Is that really so difficult to understand?

Stop looking for things that are not there, it will make your life a little bit better.

Think he understands fine.

Just wondering why we were fed the clean slate guff. His opinion on Degen will have been made over several years, not a couple of training sessions.

Not a big deal really.