You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love Sami Khedira, only a year left on his contract so financially possible. the fact Real are sniffing around in all likelihood means it isn't possible.

Failing that I'd be happy with Lassana Diarra.

I'd take Parker & Forlan, if at all feasible, over those two any day of the week.

Parker is far from shite.

In my opinion he's shite but leaving that to one side he's far from fucking good too.

Mascher is 26, Parker is 29. You get an inferior player who's older.

Diarra is 25 and Khidera is 23. They don't offer exactly the same as Mascher but are overall better footballers, younger and you still make money.

Who do you want in place of Mascherano?

The situation with Mascherano is quite simple for me.

As good/great a player he is he is not the 'type' of defensive midfielder I want. Mascher is very good at harrying, scrapping and breaking up play. However he tends to do this very high up the pitch (ala Momo) meaning Rafa always wanted another 'defensive shield' to play in front of the back four.

When this player was Alonso it negated this weakness but his type are very few and far between. You can find many a play maker but not many at all that dropped as deep as him to almost play (and I fucking hate saying this) the quarterback role.

Ideally I would like a defensive midfielder who shields the back four, not chases every single ball all over the park like my stupid fucking dog. Hamman was world class at this. He offered protection to the defence with a canny knack of drawing fouls upon himself and very good passing, not over 40 yards ala Alonso granted, but he was far more techniqually gifted than Mascher.

With a Hamman type player providing the protection to the defense and also being able to take the ball off them and create fluid football you can have a 'play maker' further up the pitch, not an Alonso type but more of a Xabi or Sniejder.

I think this was a major fault in Rafa's thinking. He wanted to play with a two man central midfield but the play maker and defensive shield were far too often in the wrong half of the pitch for my liking.

Before anyone starts taking the piss I know we are not going to play with Hamman and Xabi next season (What a fucking midfield it would be mind) but it is a change in thinking I would like to see

TBH I think Parker would be the ideal replacement for Masch.

He mucks in in front of his back 4, but unlike Masch he's creative going forward and always seems to weigh in with a few goals each season. and that's in a West ham side that narrowly missed the drop last season.

A very good signing me thinks.

TBH I think Parker would be the ideal replacement for Masch.

He mucks in in front of his back 4, but unlike Masch he's creative going forward and always seems to weigh in with a few goals each season. and that's in a West ham side that narrowly missed the drop last season.

4 goals in 3 seasons. Twice as many as Mascherano I suppose...

I wouldn't be at all upset at us signing Parker but I do think we can do better. Diarra is better, and there are a few others. Like I say though, I would be happy enough with Parker as long as we didn't pay more than £10 million for him.