You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

Walton Park

People who say he cant cope pysicaly in the epl,have they watched Serie A or do they still have the sterotype of the league, there are plenty of bruiser through the core of teams over there and they are as dirty as anyone who plays over here, his issue is he is injury prone. He is not a player for a 2 man midfield but more of a number 10,Gerrard would be better deeper with him further foward as he has a eye for a pass that few others in our squad do. Love to see him in a 3 man midfield or behind a striker
Its tempo and endurance mate, Seria A is played like its choreographed, they cruise along with time and space. inter were difference because their was hardly any Italians playing for them

Serie A is also more cynical than tough. Aqua will have to contend with more endurance and stamina driven league,quicker tempo and an obvious physical difference, he is injury prone and has been for years, i just dont hold out much hope for him

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been injured for most of his professional career. As such his was a reckless signing. Even were the impossible to happen and he stayed fit for a few months, I don't see him having the mental strength after all those injuries to cope with the physicality of English football - and that's without mentioning the fact that he's lightweight.

Any bid of over £10m and I'd snapping the hands off the club offering it. I very much doubt he would make it here and would be tempted to just cut our losses at the earliest opportunity.

Then you'd be fucking mad! 10 mill for a plyer we're gonna end up paying nearly 20 mill for (yes, we are, check the FACTS).

I think selling him would be monumentally stupid. He's performed very well in the hole for us. He's bright, has technical quality and is willing to work to support his teammates. I want players like that. I don't care how much he cost, he's here and he's worth keeping.

I think selling him would be monumentally stupid. He's performed very well in the hole for us. He's bright, has technical quality and is willing to work to support his teammates. I want players like that. I don't care how much he cost, he's here and he's worth keeping.

I agree with this.

Gerrard has the physical attributes to play that role which is something Aquilani does not.

Gerrard does not mind sticking his boot in there and is capable of long range passing again something Aquilain is not capable of.

Aquilani is best played when he can execute quick one touch football which is better done further upfield rather then deep in our own half.

I seen plenty of long range passes from him last season, was you watching a different player? He's no Alonso, but neither is Gerrard. I agree with your last bit though.

This is spot on!

If he can deal with the mental side I see him being like Xavi who really has only become a true great in the last 3 years so Aquaman has time on his side

One question mark for me is him fighting for the team when he doest have the ball and tracking back but if Hodgson can get him to do that then we will have one hell of a player

Agreed

He's a class act, looking forward to seeing him next season.
Based on what evidence? He's 26 in few days and has "11" international caps for Italy? He has scored only 19 goals or so in his career in Serie A of all places and has a horrendous injury record i which i don't think he's got a full season finished in 5 years? So i'm just curious to know where ur getting this guy is a class act from? Cause it certainly ain't fro seeing him in and Liverpool shirt, it certainly ain't from seeing him in an Italian shirt and he hadn't played well for Roma in years? I don't get it.

In saying that i rather keep him until at last January and try and get games into him and boost up his fee again if we want to recoup money.

Based on what evidence? He's 26 in few days and has "11" international caps for Italy? He has scored only 19 goals or so in his career in Serie A of all places and has a horrendous injury record i which i don't think he's got a full season finished in 5 years? So i'm just curious to know where ur getting this guy is a class act from? Cause it certainly ain't fro seeing him in and Liverpool shirt, it certainly ain't from seeing him in an Italian shirt and he hadn't played well for Roma in years? I don't get it.

In saying that i rather keep him until at last January and try and get games into him and boost up his fee again if we want to recoup money.

I really like his intelligence on and off the ball last season, he is capable or contributing something very intangible, like a creative spark. His final ball is good, but he's also very patient and willing to keep the ball. He's got good vision, accurate long passing, a screamer for a shot.

All your questions are answered by injuries, which would explain your entire fucking paragraph. Maybe it was the physios at Roma, or maybe he's a crock. We'll find out, won't we. So shut up in the meantime.

Guest The Chimp

You never saw him last seson Dan and thought he was an intelligent player. That he could move the ball quickly, keep the team ticking over, and offer us some spark and guile? I saw that. Now I can entertain the fact that his injury record has been abysmal, my hope is that he's past that. Indeed, perhaps the answer to your own question about why he's scored relatively few goals and had so few caps lies, in your attestation that he's had "a horrendous injury record".

Not that you say it, but it would be utter madness imo to get rid now without seeing if he actually is past the injuries and to see what he can offer fit and more settled. Besides, even if we sell him we're getting fuck all money to buy a replacement more than likely.

Edit. Ignore this and read stevienando's; it's much better than mine.

When fit, I really like Aquilani and think he has the ability to be a cracking player. However, he's made of wet tissue paper, I think at 25 years old, he's young enough for another crack at the PL next season, however in games against Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton etc. I would have to opt for Lucas. No denying that signing Aquilani was a monumental fuck up by Rafa, Montolivo would have been a better option or more preferably Martinez. Aquilani is best in the hole, but so is Gerrard, so that's a real conundrum.

You never saw him last seson Dan and thought he was an intelligent player. That he could move the ball quickly, keep the team ticking over, and offer us some spark and guile? I saw that. Now I can entertain the fact that his injury record has been abysmal, my hope is that he's past that. Indeed, perhaps the answer to your own question about why he's scored relatively few goals and had so few caps lies, in your attestation that he's had "a horrendous injury record".

Not that you say it, but it would be utter madness imo to get rid now without seeing if he actually is past the injuries and to see what he can offer fit and more settled. Besides, even if we sell him we're getting fuck all money to buy a replacement more than likely.

I know what your saying mate, he was trying to move the ball quickly anad i don't know whether its down to match sharpness or not being use to the league or tempo but he gave away posession so much and several time in vital areas, i will give him the benefit of the doubt as i do think he has more talent than say Dosenna and coming from same background.

If he hasn't impressed by January he surely has to be shipped. I dunno mate i always thought it was a bizarre signings and i just have a feeling that he isn't going to make the grade and he seems very fragile too. Thats not saying i hope he fails becuase i'd love to see him doing well i just don't hold much hope for it ya know. But no i wouldn't sell him not just yet, at least give him until Christmas and if we want to sell hopefully regain some of the fee we got him for, IMO thats smart option.

When fit, I really like Aquilani and think he has the ability to be a cracking player. However, he's made of wet tissue paper, I think at 25 years old, he's young enough for another crack at the PL next season, however in games against Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton etc. I would have to opt for Lucas. No denying that signing Aquilani was a monumental fuck up by Rafa, Montolivo would have been a better option or more preferably Martinez. Aquilani is best in the hole, but so is Gerrard, so that's a real conundrum.
It was a very bizarre signing for sure mate, i think Aqua is 26 in few days too. The fact he has only 11 caps for Italy i think speaks volumes about his form and his injuries

Or it speaks volumes about De Rossi, Pirlo et al.
I do't think so mate Pirlo i can't understand and Italians do favours the old boys but IMO De Rossi is horribly over rated, he hasn't done anything in his career to warrant being called a top player. I was horrified when he as linked with us after Alonso went, then we got Aqua :O

Guest The Chimp
I know what your saying mate, he was trying to move the ball quickly anad i don't know whether its down to match sharpness or not being use to the league or tempo but he gave away posession so much and several time in vital areas, i will give him the benefit of the doubt as i do think he has more talent than say Dosenna and coming from same background.

To be fair mate, I didn't really see that that much, but then again I've tried to erase much of last season from my memory. I would say that I do remember being very frustrated with how static Liverpool were and how few options seemed availbale, how laborious we seemed going forward, and generally how sitting so deep meant that the conversion from defence into attack took fucking ages, if indeed, it ever really got going. To me that would make it difficult for anyone to keep the ball well, especially if pressured (given the obvious lack of options), but honestly that wasn't my abiding memory of him.

We shall see how things turn out Dan. To be honest I'm quietly confident he'll show people what he can do. My concern with him isn't talent, it's injuries primarily.

However, he's made of wet tissue paper,

But how many times did he have to get treatment in games? I can't remember him struggling with the physicality in particular. His general fitness was more of a concern as he'd fade after a while (which was mainly down to his lack of consistent games imo)

in games against Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton etc. I would have to opt for Lucas..

I think these are exactly the kind of games where he'll work out well for us. He can play the ball quickly and accurately, he could well help unlock these defences for us.

To be fair mate, I didn't really see that that much, but then again I've tried to erase much of last season from my memory. I would say that I do remember being very frustrated with how static Liverpool were and how few options seemed availbale, how laborious we seemed going forward, and generally how sitting so deep meant that the conversion from defence into attack took fucking ages, if indeed, it ever really got going. To me that would make it difficult for anyone to keep the ball well, especially if pressured (given the obvious lack of options), but honestly that wasn't my abiding memory of him.

We shall see how things turn out Dan. To be honest I'm quietly confident he'll show people what he can do. My concern with him isn't talent, it's injuries primarily.

I hear ya mate, think its a figers crossed job, best of luck to the lad