You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Happy Rumour Mill (Takeover bids, transfer talks etc)

WhiskeyJar

That's the crux of it. We lose Gerrard and/or Torres and we will be seen as a selling club, and more importantly, a club on the wane. No one worth their salt would want to come to us. Because of the ownership issue, the keeping of Gerrard and Torres is so much more then just keeping two top players, it is also about keeping our name, our positon in the footballing world, and a big step towards our future.

I also agree. It is vital in our situation that they stay. We must keep the best players and get rid of the owners. The players are Hodgson's no 1 responsibility now, he will have to convince them.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy Hodgson wants Ashley Young to lead Anfield revival | Mail Online

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is top of Roy Hodgson's wishlist as he tries to add British players to his Liverpool team.

Hodgson, who has strongly denied that he is not a big enough name to persuade Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay, will try to find out this week if Villa manager Martin O'Neill is willing to let Young leave.

The winger, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Friday, made a big early impact at Villa following a £10million move from Watford in 2007.

But inconsistency last season meant he missed out on going to the World Cup with England.

Liverpool have sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for £6.5m and replaced him with 29-year-old Serbia World Cup player Milan Jovanovic, a free agent. Hodgson could also sell Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for £25m and bring in Brazil's Gilberto Silva at a fraction of the price.

He said: 'We would be foolish not to be aware of the importance of homegrown players with the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going. Otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

'I think the club have been trying to do that already with younger players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling but it takes time for them to come through so we might have to go into the transfer market.'

Hodgson is anxious to sort out the futures of Torres and Gerrard but if the Liverpool and England skipper decides to join Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, Liverpool want Holland forward Rafael van der Vaart in part-exchange.

The manager turned down the chance to sign Jovanovic for a fee when he was at Fulham but sees him as a good capture on a free transfer.

He said: 'We have furnished the World Cup with more players than any other team but looking at the squad at Melwood, it did seem very small in terms of seniors.'

Oh, that's interesting.

Tit.

As interesting as selling Torres and Gerrard and replacing them with Whickam and Forlan you full on mong.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is top of Roy Hodgson's wishlist as he tries to add British players to his Liverpool team.

Hodgson, who has strongly denied that he is not a big enough name to persuade Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay, will try to find out this week if Villa manager Martin O'Neill is willing to let Young leave.

The winger, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Friday, made a big early impact at Villa following a £10million move from Watford in 2007.

But inconsistency last season meant he missed out on going to the World Cup with England.

Liverpool have sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for £6.5m and replaced him with 29-year-old Serbia World Cup player Milan Jovanovic, a free agent. Hodgson could also sell Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for £25m and bring in Brazil's Gilberto Silva at a fraction of the price.

He said: 'We would be foolish not to be aware of the importance of homegrown players with the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going. Otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

'I think the club have been trying to do that already with younger players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling but it takes time for them to come through so we might have to go into the transfer market.'

Hodgson is anxious to sort out the futures of Torres and Gerrard but if the Liverpool and England skipper decides to join Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, Liverpool want Holland forward Rafael van der Vaart in part-exchange.

The manager turned down the chance to sign Jovanovic for a fee when he was at Fulham but sees him as a good capture on a free transfer.

He said: 'We have furnished the World Cup with more players than any other team but looking at the squad at Melwood, it did seem very small in terms of seniors.'

Ashley Young? Fuck yeah!

Daily Mail though.....

It's the Mail, but this kind of thing worries me Mascherano out Silva in. Where does the rest of the money go?

It should read Christian Purslow wants Holland forward Rafael van der Vaart in part-exchange.

Seeing as he went behind the last managers back to speak to Real.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd have him like a fucking shot. Ashley Young on our left hand side... yeah, I'd take him over Riera or Babel. Still, the likeliness of it happening has gone down to 0.001% considering the source.

not sure if this has been brought up before so excuse me if im bringing it up again. but Cambiasso in a swap deal plus £ for want a way Mash. I'd bite there feckin' arms, hands... the lot off!

(cant post link, due to not having posted 15 times, silly rule)

I'd have take Ashley Young a year ago but he had a poor season last time around so i'm not sure about him.

Does that same rule apply to Gerrard then? Shall we sell him as he had a shit last season? Its about talent and Young has loads of it. I actually thought he had a great 1st half of the last season, pretty much like the season before when he tailed off in the 2nd half of the season, just like his team. But dont let that get in your way.Ashley Young would be an amazing signing

I'd have take Ashley Young a year ago but he had a poor season last time around so i'm not sure about him.

Does that same rule apply to Gerrard then? Shall we sell him as he had a shit last season? Its about talent and Young has loads of it. I actually thought he had a great 1st half of the last season, pretty much like the season before when he tailed off in the 2nd half of the season, just like his team. But dont let that get in your way.Ashley Young would be an amazing signing

Yes mate, Ashley Young is totally comparable to Steven Gerrard.

Edited by Brownie

Worth a try for a decent price though.

A year ago we would have had no chance of signing him, because he had a shit season and is probably behind Milner and Downing we may have a chance of getting him, he has more talent than those two put together

I seem to remember the world and his wife demanding we sign Ashley Young at the same time as loudly declaring how neither James Milner or Diego Forlan were fit to wear the shirt.

So on that basis, maybe we should give him a skip.

I still think Floran is another Morientes and Milner is average and Id have Ashley Young over them any day of the week. I really rate him and at least I am being consistent

He would be the best wide player we have signed since Harry Kewell and the one before that was John Barnes, tells you about us and signing good wide players

Transfer news: Liverpool eyeing up Ivory Coast star Gervinho as Yossi Benayoun replacement - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

New Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is weighing up making a move for Ivory Coast star Gervinho now that Yossi Benayoun has completed his £6million move to Chelsea.

The ex- Fulham manager is looking to strengthen his squad and was keeping tabs on the pacy winger during the World Cup.

He is considering making a bid for the Lille man, though the French club will have to lower their asking price of £10m.

Hodgson would not be willing to pay more than £8m for the 23-year-old, who cost Lille £6.5m just a year ago.

Transfer news: Roy Hodgson wants Newcastle's Steven Taylor at Liverpool - Premier League - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Roy Hodgson has earmarked Newcastle United’s Steve Taylor as one of the players around whom he wants to rebuild Liverpool’s defence.

The new Anfield boss will also go back to Craven Cottage with a £7million bid land his impressive former central defender Hangeland, who has been regularly linked with Arsenal.

Hodgson believes his close relationship with the 29-year-old Norwegian could help lure him to Liverpool – and the fact that he brought Swiss international centre-back Philippe Senderos to Craven Cottage in one of his last acts as Fulham boss will also strengthen his hand. Hodgson is lining up a £5m bid for former England Under-21 skipper Taylor, who has just entered the final year of his contract at St James’ Park.

LMA Manager of the Year Hodgson is a long-standing admirer of 24-year-old Taylor and is poised to test Newcastle’s resolve to hang on to the much-coveted defender.

Sunday Mirror Sport can reveal that initial talks have taken place between Taylor’s representatives, the Triple S agency, and Newcastle over a new contract and a three- to four-year deal is now on the table.

But Taylor will not commit himself until he knows what Newcastle’s squad strengthening plans are for the Premier League campaign.

Taylor’s future on Tyneside has been shrouded in doubt since he suffered a double fracture of the jaw after a training ground incident involving Magpies striker Andy Carroll late last season.

The differences between the pair have been resolved, but a host of top clubs including Arsenal, Aston Villa and Chelsea have been eyeing Taylor and Hodgson also showed an interest in him during his spell at Fulham.

And, despite Newcastle’s insistence that they want to keep Taylor, the odds on him heading for pastures new have significantly increased as top clubs try to sign players who have come through the English academy system as UEFA’s home-grown quota system looms in August.

Leading managers such as Hodgson, Arsene Wenger, Martin O’Neill and Carlo Ancelotti are all keen to boost their English presence and that has made Taylor a hot property.

Championship winners Newcastle’s public admission that they won’t be lashing out on transfer fees is bound to affect Taylor’s thinking as he weighs up his future.

To keep Taylor on Tyneside long-term, Hughton needs to offer an attractive new, long-term contract this summer and Newcastle’s financial plight makes that almost mission impossible.

Newcastle have imposed a wage cap of about £30,000 a week and it is understood Taylor already earns that kind of money. Newcastle don’t appear to have a lot of negotiating room.

Taylor returned from a holiday in the USA and the Bahamas last week and is scheduled to have a plate removed from his jaw this week.

Newcastle know Taylor could ignore any offer, sit tight, run down his contract and sign a pre-contract deal with Liverpool or any other club in January. It wouldn’t be good business sense for Newcastle and owner Mike Ashley could decide it would make more sense to get a fee for a player who has been rated in the £8m-10m bracket than let him go for nothing.

Meanwhile, Dutch reserve keeper Tim Krul is ready to pen a new four-year deal.