You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Happy Rumour Mill (Takeover bids, transfer talks etc)

WhiskeyJar

I reckon it's 50/50 as to whether Gerrard stays or goes. If he does go it will definitely be to Real Madrid. I believe he's waiting to see who we sign before deciding on what to do - if he goes, it will be towards the end of the transfer window, that's my feeling.

Gerrard and Kaka could never win in the same team. It's like Gerrard and Lampard. They play in the same areas. You'd need 3 balls on the pitch to satisfy those two and the lady boy.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do disagree, especially about the bit where Mascherano and Gerrard in centre midfield wouldn't work.

I agree though he does play better around good players, but then again so do all players really.

I think if we can keep Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres then this formation could work really well:

---------------------------Reina--------------------------------

RB--------------CB------------------CB-----------------------LB

-------------------------Mascherano----------------------------

RW------------Gerrard------------------Aquilani---------------LW

-----------------------------Torres------------------------------

- Did we ever see Mascherano, Gerrard, Aquilani and Torres on the pitch together last season? I personally can't remember seeing it.

Yeah when we smashed Portsmouth 4-1 at Anfield, could have been 8-1 if I remember correctly. Was wonderful to watch, Aquilani was MOTM. Going with that from day 1, we could have challenged for the title, but injuries ruined us.

I do disagree, especially about the bit where Mascherano and Gerrard in centre midfield wouldn't work.

I agree though he does play better around good players, but then again so do all players really.

I think if we can keep Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres then this formation could work really well:

1. Gerrard will never be a 4-4-2 player. Benitez didn't trust him in CM, Capello didn't trust him in CM either. He just isn't a CM.

2. Well it could be argued he played terribly with England because of exactly the same reasons, Lampard, Rooney & Lennon have Scholes, Giggs, Valencia, Modric, Malouda, Deco, Ballack, Kranjcar etc to help them at club level but at international level they can't bring eachother into the games which is probably why England suffer so badly and can't keep possesion in international games because they're used to finish off build ups rather than be part of them.

3. I would love to see that formation but you need a fast pair of Centre backs to execute that and the whole team have to be pressing high up the pitch, I'm not sure Torres can do that with his injury record, it might just be too much of a strain on him.

Have been thinking almost the same thing to be honest, would just have the wingers further back in a 4-3-2-1 to help with build up play and defence.

1. Gerrard will never be a 4-4-2 player. Benitez didn't trust him in CM, Capello didn't trust him in CM either. He just isn't a CM.

In a 4-3-2-1 you could make that fluid. He'd never be just a CM, but would alternate between center mid, attacking mid and striker, depending on what was happening on the pitch. And if an attack broke down you could have the wingers getting back quickly, so the formation turns into a type of 4-3-3, where the wingers form the first set of 3, then go back to the 4-3-2-1 when the ball is won back. Or you have the 4-1-4-1 if they all push up in attack bar masch. Like Zigackly said earlier somewhere, a formation is too much of a rigid thing, players aren't always in lines, etc like that, and making the whole thing fluid would be an important part of the teams tactics.

Edited by Red Phoenix

What I'd really like to see from Hodgson is an XI which is really flexible.

For example let's say he saw the following XI (assuming we sign Nzogbia, who can play left wing and left back) - Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Mascherano, Gerrard, Aquilani, Kuyt, Nzogbia, Torres.

To me this would be an XI that can play 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 3-5-2 and 4-3-3:

4-4-2

-----------------------------Reina-------------------------------

Johnson---------Carragher-------------Skrtel---------------Agger

Gerrard----------Aquilani-------------Mascherano----------Nzogbia

------------------Kuyt----------------Torres----------------------

4-2-3-1

-----------------Gerrard-------------Mascherano-----------------

Kuyt-----------------------Aquilani------------------------Nzogbia

-----------------------------Torres-------------------------------

3-5-2

----------Carragher----------Skrtel-------------Agger------------

Johnson----------Gerrard-------------Mascherano----------Nzogbia

----------------------------Aquilani-------------------------------

------------------Kuyt----------------Torres----------------------

4-3-3

----------Gerrard----------Mascherano---------Aquilani-----------

-----------Kuyt----------------Torres----------Nzogbia-----------

Now this could mean the formation could be changed during games, so we can have a plan b, c or d - depending on the situation of the game. Thus keeping the opposition always second guessing.

Opposition managers couldn't predict what the tactics would be, as the XI could play in a number of ways.

All those teams look very good to me and with only one signing, Nzogbia, who can play left wing, left back and wing back. Think between Agger, Nzogbia and Insua we'd have enough options at left back. We'd still need a back up striker, but this can be funded through Reira and Babel sales.

I don't think we need a revolution, just keeping our best players and one or two shrewd buys, which can be funded by selling Degen, Riera, Babel - players who aren't needed.

3/7/2010 sport.es

HAVE 19 YEARS PLAY IN THE LIVERPOOL AND COULD GET A LOAN

Pacheco thinks Espanyol

The young player out for its versatility and can play either second-band edge

Laura Ramos

Given the difficult market that is expected this summer, the sports management plans led Ramon has opened the range of possibilities and take the spotlight a versatile player, playmaker and that suits the bands. This is the Spanish Dani Pacheco and, although not fit the profile sought initial, very interested in the club Espanyol. Currently in Liverpool was the English club after leaving the youth ranks of FC Barcelona as a juvenile with a change of residence, "Pacheco knows what is present with the 'reds' and could leave Anfield if the new coach so appropriate. Espanyol, just in case, and asked for him and has sent all the directors of British interest in a possible sale if you include an option to purchase.

Malaga, however, is also interested in the possible transfer of Pacheco. Born in the Andalusian city, the club Malacitana illusion makes you special power to recover the football league and would also have been in contact with Liverpool. Both Malaga and Espanyol, however, little can make the English club until a decision about his future. Is expected to arrive next week and, depending on the decision, Espanyol intensify contacts. At 19, Dani Pacheco might be a good solution to the current needs of the club.

What I'd really like to see from Hodgson is an XI which is really flexible.

For example let's say he saw the following XI (assuming we sign Nzogbia, who can play left wing and left back) - Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Mascherano, Gerrard, Aquilani, Kuyt, Nzogbia, Torres.

This is a genuine question, but is there a reason why Maxi hasn't been included in any of your teams please?

Personally, I thought we looked alot sharper and played much better football when he was in the team last season as he can play the type of one touch passing game that we surely all want to see.

This is a genuine question, but is there a reason why Maxi hasn't been included in any of your teams please?

Personally, I thought we looked alot sharper and played much better football when he was in the team last season as he can play the type of one touch passing game that we surely all want to see.

Maxi will play a hell of a lot next season. On his day Yossi is probably better but he far too often offers nothing.

I expect Maxi to have a good season for us.

Id like to see us going along the lines of

---------------------------Riena

Johnson------------Skrtel------Agger-----?

---------------------Masch/Replacement

-----------------Aqualani---------Gerrard

------Maxi-------------------------------------?

-------------------------Torres

with maybe elia/Turan filling the wide left

Unsure of the left back though

or even

------------------------Riena

-----------Carra--------Skrtel----------Agger

Johnson-----------------------------------------?

-------------------Masch/Replacment

-------Maxi-----------Gerrard---------------Aqualani

------------------------Torres

Or swap Maxi with Kuyt and play him up top

Yeah when we smashed Portsmouth 4-1 at Anfield, could have been 8-1 if I remember correctly. Was wonderful to watch, Aquilani was MOTM. Going with that from day 1, we could have challenged for the title, but injuries ruined us.

Hodgson should watch that game and try and get us playing like that next season. Some of the movement and football was brilliant and what this team is capable of when on top form.

I like him, no reason really.

I think he could be an important player next season. I would like to see him tried on the left in pre season, but then again I would like to see lots of things tried in pre season.

Why do you want to see Maxi tried on the left again. Is the fact that he was played on both sides last season and was far more effective on the right not tell you that he is a right sided player?

Never mind, I still don't understand the rationale behind classifying Agger as a left back either, he's our best centre back!

I still don't understand the rationale behind classifying Agger as a left back either, he's our best centre back!

Because he is probably our best left back as well.

There's no point picking any team until Roy signs a few players.

I can't see anyone else leaving tbf, that might just be blind optimism but I'd be far more doubtful if we were looking at another season of Benitez.

I think Gerrard and Torres will give Roy some time, also Joobrabchin said Mascherano doesn't want to leave... So I'm more optimistic about the season than I was before Roy's appointment. He brings an air of stability.

The Portsmouth Game was definatley one of our best games last season.

It all depends on what Roy does, I have been trying to look at his previous teams.

Is he a manager who picks a formation and fits the players in or is he a manager who looks at what he players he has a mould them into a formation.

Doing a little research he does seem to like a flexible 4-4-2. At least one normally two ball winners in the middle of the park and at least one out and out wingers. Can't seem to find him playing 3 or 5 at the back. Maybe with the Swiss in 96?

3/7/2010 sport.es

HAVE 19 YEARS PLAY IN THE LIVERPOOL AND COULD GET A LOAN

Pacheco thinks Espanyol

The young player out for its versatility and can play either second-band edge

Laura Ramos

Given the difficult market that is expected this summer, the sports management plans led Ramon has opened the range of possibilities and take the spotlight a versatile player, playmaker and that suits the bands. This is the Spanish Dani Pacheco and, although not fit the profile sought initial, very interested in the club Espanyol. Currently in Liverpool was the English club after leaving the youth ranks of FC Barcelona as a juvenile with a change of residence, "Pacheco knows what is present with the 'reds' and could leave Anfield if the new coach so appropriate. Espanyol, just in case, and asked for him and has sent all the directors of British interest in a possible sale if you include an option to purchase.

Malaga, however, is also interested in the possible transfer of Pacheco. Born in the Andalusian city, the club Malacitana illusion makes you special power to recover the football league and would also have been in contact with Liverpool. Both Malaga and Espanyol, however, little can make the English club until a decision about his future. Is expected to arrive next week and, depending on the decision, Espanyol intensify contacts. At 19, Dani Pacheco might be a good solution to the current needs of the club.

Fair play in loaning out Pacheco, but to sell him would be mad. I think getting more Premier League experience here next season would be better for his development, he needs to bulk up and be quicker on the ball. But he's a big talent.

I think Maxi is still a class player.

His technique is brillaint.

I hope we don't play Gerrard in centre midfield too often.

It's great when you've got someone in midfield who can dictate the play Ala Alonso, but we didn't have someone in midfield like that last season.

Only Gerrard can come close to replicating the influence Alonso had.

Gerrard doesn't dictate play anywhere near as good as Alonso.

He's not a playmaker at all. He lieks to play everything really quickly.

I just don't think he's as good in in 442 in the middle as he is on the right or behind a striker where he can just concentrate on getting forward.

If we do get rid of Masch I would put Gerrard back into midfield and put Aquilani behind Kuyt.

Gerrard is a dreadful centre midfielder. A great player but his days in that position are over. When he gets a touch older he may make a good Def Mid, but Gerrard is not of any real use in the middle of the park.

Gerrard doesn't dictate play anywhere near as good as Alonso.

He's not a playmaker at all. He lieks to play everything really quickly.

I just don't think he's as good in in 442 in the middle as he is on the right or behind a striker where he can just concentrate on getting forward.

No but neither does Lucas, or Aquilani. Last season with Torres he wasn't all that effective, and with Ngog he was even worse.

We seen v Sunderland and Pompey for example how if we can put him in midfield the sort of impact he can have, I know we lost V Wigan with him in midfield, but I think given time it's the ideal system for us to play. Lucas and Aquilani have looked much much better in attacking roles, Lucas v Benfica at home springs to mind, and Aquilani towards the end of the season also.

I firmly believe if we can keep hold of Mascherano and Gerrard put them in with Kuyt upfront with Torres, it will give us a much more steady team. Yes we can switch about, but unless Aquilani develops Alonso esque passing, we simply can't rely on Gerrard and Torres upfront doing the business because there will be fuck all coming from midfield.